Ummmm.. R212CS mono only one speaker??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlok

Reaction score
This may seem like a dumb question but I'm using my two 2X12 cabs and just realized my R212CS cab with the mic eliminator plate has only the left speaker working. It has 4 ohm mono, 8 ohm stereo (both jacks), and 16 ohm mono jacks. I'm using the 16 ohm mono jack. It's still supposed to be both speakers running, right?

Yes, both speakers should be working. Did you check to ensure the selector switch is firmly in the mono position? Failing that, there must be a bad or broken connection inside the cab, could be either on the back of the panel or at the speaker that's not working...hope that gets ya started!

I swapped the wires and the other speaker started working so it's not a speaker problem. Pulled the jack plate off.. Holy crap.. That's a lot of crap.. There's no burned spots or loose connections that I can see. no capacitors leaking or anything. And the mono switch is firmly in mono..

Someone was in here before I had this cab. The clamp for the wires inside is off and the corners of the jackplate are broken. Looks all like factory soldering but someone's been in there.. Any ideas what to check?

I don't know if this means anything but I plugged a cable into the 16ohm jack, switch on mono, and has a ohm reading between red and black speaker wires on both sets disconnected from the speakers. It was diminishing from about 3 ohms on each side when I tried it, caps discharging I assume. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Hey man, my suggestion at this point would be to just have it looked at by a pro...that will probably be the overall easiest, cheapest, quickest, and safest way to get your cab up and running...

My first thought is that something is wired up incorrectly. Both speakers work, so it's either something in the wiring or on the plate. Aside from the switch breaking, it's unlikely anything on the ME circuitry is bad. This may be easier to troubleshoot by phone. Shoot me an email and we can touch base this week.

Rob

Sent you an e-mail Rob. And of course - Thanks!

Just to throw it out there, I've never used a stereo cab. I wanted to see if it works with the switch on stereo instead of mono. Can I run cables from both outputs of the head to both inputs on the cab? (says 8 ohms stereo with both jacks). What should I have the impedence switch of the head on if I can do that?

UPDATE - It's fixed-ish.. Turns out the leads were attached at the speakers wrong. Luckily (kinda) the speakers are not the originals. Wired correctly, all the impedences on the plate are doubled. This cab originally had 8 ohm V30's and now has 16 ohm V30's. I say luckily because only running the 1 speaker, the impedence was correct as written on the plate and I didn't hurt the amp. But now, I'm plugged into the 4 ohm mono jack and it's actually 8 ohms. Working fine now.

Thanks to Rob for the help with the math and correct settings. Smart dude right there! (Cool to just BS with as well..)