Unwanted noise from Ultra module.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evrynite33

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if someone could help me out with this issue I'm having. I recently bought a used module off somebody off this board. The module I purchased was the Ultra. It was advertised as modded. I'm getting a buzzing sound, kind of like the sound you get when a ground wire is loose. I can visually see the mods on the board. The C3 cap was replaced and the C14 cap was replaced. I dont have the module in front of me right now, so I dont know what the values are. It also looks like a messy solder job. I dont know if anything else was done. The thing is, is that I am really pleased with the sound I get, however the buzzing is really annoying, especially when the gain is up all the way. The noise is not as apparent when the gain is half-way. I am pretty good with a multi-meter and soldering so if there are any suggestions I'm game. Thanks! :D

evrynite33 said:
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if someone could help me out with this issue I'm having. I recently bought a used module off somebody off this board. The module I purchased was the Ultra. It was advertised as modded. I'm getting a buzzing sound, kind of like the sound you get when a ground wire is loose. I can visually see the mods on the board. The C3 cap was replaced and the C14 cap was replaced. I dont have the module in front of me right now, so I dont know what the values are. It also looks like a messy solder job. I dont know if anything else was done. The thing is, is that I am really pleased with the sound I get, however the buzzing is really annoying, especially when the gain is up all the way. The noise is not as apparent when the gain is half-way. I am pretty good with a multi-meter and soldering so if there are any suggestions I'm game. Thanks! :D

I've modded a few ultras, was it my mod? Soldering shouldn't be messy if it's one of mine. Buzzing is likely the tubes, as the ultras are VERY high gain modules, and a noisy tube will hiss terribly. Our amps aren't very quiet to begin wtih IMHO, some noise you're just going to have to live with or get a gate. I use a volume pedal in the fx loop, or channel switch to my 'clean' module between songs... I hate the way gates clip the sound.

If it's white noise (hissing)..probably normal..you can try quieter tubes.

If it's hum..(60Hz?) then the module is picking it up from somewhere...could still be a defective tube.

JKD said:
If it's white noise (hissing)..probably normal..you can try quieter tubes.

If it's hum..(60Hz?) then the module is picking it up from somewhere...could still be a defective tube.

No, it's like the noise you get when your ground wire on your guitar has come loose. I have a tweed module that I swapped the tubes out of to see if by chance it was indeed the tubes. It didnt correct the problem. It's a lot more than just a "hissing" or white noise sound. That I could live with. But I have to tell you guys, the sound that I am getting now from this thing, in conjunction with my rig, is pretty much where I want to be. It just kills me that I have this annoying noise in the background. It's like an ehhhh sound in the background. I have an RM50, so I tried it in both slots...still no luck.

I'm thinking of replacing the caps that were used for the mod to begin with. Maybe one or both are defective. I could try running my multi-meter across to see what the values are. What if I were to remove the caps from the completely from circuit? I am just wondering if the noise would remain. Most certainly the sound would be gone! Any tips, suggestions, ideas?

okstrat said:
evrynite33 said:

I've modded a few ultras, was it my mod? Soldering shouldn't be messy if it's one of mine. Buzzing is likely the tubes, as the ultras are VERY high gain modules, and a noisy tube will hiss terribly. Our amps aren't very quiet to begin wtih IMHO, some noise you're just going to have to live with or get a gate. I use a volume pedal in the fx loop, or channel switch to my 'clean' module between songs... I hate the way gates clip the sound.

I feel a gate would be a fix, but its not the solution. I am happy with the sound you know. It's just the "unnatural" sound I have in the background. :(

I know this might be stating the obvious, but, it might be something up with your guitar or cable. Also, try shutting EVERYTHING off (except your amp, of course), in the room or even any other room where you are playing. I once was playing an amp that I hadn't used in a long time using a Strat that I had built, and was getting a terrible background hum and buzz that sounded like either a bad filter cap in the amp, or a micro-phonic tube. I really wasn't looking forward to trouble shooting the amp when it turned out, my guitar was picking up the circuit noise from an "Ionic Breeze" room air filter! The hiss is simply the price you pay for a super high gain preamp. All the Best! Pat L.

kc2eeb said:
I know this might be stating the obvious, but, it might be something up with your guitar or cable. Also, try shutting EVERYTHING off (except your amp, of course), in the room or even any other room where you are playing. I once was playing an amp that I hadn't used in a long time using a Strat that I had built, and was getting a terrible background hum and buzz that sounded like either a bad filter cap in the amp, or a micro-phonic tube. I really wasn't looking forward to trouble shooting the amp when it turned out, my guitar was picking up the circuit noise from an "Ionic Breeze" room air filter! The hiss is simply the price you pay for a super high gain preamp. All the Best! Pat L.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You know, I think I will try the obvious. The ultra module has such a high gain, that it might be picking up noise normally gone unnoticed. I had it happen before too. When I get home from work today, I will "isolate" the amp so that nothing else is plugged in on the circuit and see what happens.

Yeah the Ultra module can be noisy, from my experience. I am an old school guy..so its a bit annoying to me. Young kids dont mind it,they just gate the hell out of it.
But I dont like gates..so I don't run it more than 60percent of the gain on tap. Its still plenty distorted. But if I am close to the amp I may pickup some 60hz hum ..its positional and I assume its because of all the luscious gain. I move my postion till its gone and record like that.
I think,however you have a real problem. Maybe its a circuit in another room thats bleeding onto your power. I had a halogen light that used to do that.
The Ultra is good..but ya do have to deal with some noise from it.

I run a Comp pedal in front of the Ultra with minimal comp'ing and about maximum level out put. That seems to help with the noise since I can now keep the gain to about noon and still get max-overkill-way-too-much distortion out of the module.

Thomas

Well guys, i really do appreciate all the input. I'm not really looking for the most quietest sound out there, just less annoying. I was jamming out with my buddy of mine who plays drums, and when this thing was cranked up I had an annoying constant ringing undertone in the background. When I brought the amp home with me, i got the noise like I originally described. Even when isolated the amp, that 60hz noise was evident, but tolerable. Oh well, maybe I will suffer through it. I really like the the saturation of distortion I get from this module. I play everything from blues to metal, and its nice to get the chunk out when you want to. I have the bogner ecstacy module too, and it rocks...minimal noise, just not as chunky. I want to try the plexi module next. Hopefully I will get the growl that I want without the noise!

Oh just so any of you guys are wondering about my current rig...

Randall rm50 - xtasy module, tweed module, ultra module
Randall 2x12 cab - loaded with eminence texas heat speakers
Washburn N2 - Korean made (unbelievable craftsmanship for the money!), p/u replaced with seymour duncans...bridge is JB model, and a sweet '59 for the neck...sweet!

i'm trying to keep a simple balls to the wall straight up sound you know!

Planning on further tailoring my sound as I get more $$$

Thanks again!!! :twisted:

It really sounds like a problem module...maybe get another ULTRA module and put THAT in..and see if there is any difference. Maybe a deler could help ya with that..or a buddy HERE..who lives close..only take a few minutes and would help alot.
I think its your module from all I ve read so far. a low hum isnt right..some hiss is.
If you have a hum with HB pickups (JB) I suspect the module has a bad ground..or a component is faulty.

GtrGeorge! said:
It really sounds like a problem module...maybe get another ULTRA module and put THAT in..and see if there is any difference. Maybe a deler could help ya with that..or a buddy HERE..who lives close..only take a few minutes and would help alot.
I think its your module from all I ve read so far. a low hum isnt right..some hiss is.
If you have a hum with HB pickups (JB) I suspect the module has a bad ground..or a component is faulty.

Thanks for the input GtrGeorge. I think you hit the nail right on the head as far as the noise is concerned. I wish I had access to another ULTRA module to compare. I definitely think there is an 'unnatural' sound coming from this thing. The gain from this puppy is pretty darn good for my tastes. I'm thinking the mods have a great deal to do with that aspect of it.

I guess I will have to locate a dealer to see if I can hear for myself what a fresh module actually sounds like. Randall is few and far between in south florida!

8)

One last thing. A constant ringing noise is usually a tube. In a really high gain amp, the actual physical elements of the tube can vibrate or ring. The ringing comes out of the speaker, "shakes" the tube, which continues the ringing. Try replacing the tubes with know really quiet ones, or even with 12at7s or 12au7s, which have progressively lower amplification factors. You might also be picking of the mechanical noise of the fan. Hope this helps! Pat L.

have you tried using a power conditioner? I thought there was something wrong with my XTC module because it made this crackling noise that sounded like.. bacon frying :D well, a few days later our bassist hooked up a distortion pedal to his bass rig and low and behold it made the same noise. So I think that it was bad power in the shed.. I havent tried the power condition yet but my RM100 didnt make that noise when I used it at home so I'm assuming it was bad power.. I'll keep you posted when I figure it out for sure