Update: Just LOADED UP a pair of Winged C 34's in my RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I already have one pair loaded up in there with some 6L6's but have been going back and forth on whether I like them mixed with the 34's for my Marshally mods.

The tone has grown on me but I am excited to get back to all 34's. Winged C 34's too boot!

All 4 Winged C's loaded up in the RM100KH now. I don't know why I keep mixing power tubes. 34's are where it's at for me.

Perceived increase in gain over the 6L6 / 34 combo. The boomy low end is reduced but I added all the low end girth I wanted back with the depth knob going from 11:00 to 1:00.

Disclaimer: I am a Marshall guy and play 80's / 90's rock. For metal, I would have kept the mix.

I've been using 6L6/ E34L mixed quad myself. But live the tone doesn't have as much dirt and bite and louder volume still needs some tweaking. I've been thinking of going back to all E34Ls, or all 6L6s.
Do you find the Wing C better? I had a set of Wing C KT88, they were pretty good but I didn't have anything to compare it to.

tung said:
I've been using 6L6/ E34L mixed quad myself. But live the tone doesn't have as much dirt and bite and louder volume still needs some tweaking. I've been thinking of going back to all E34Ls, or all 6L6s.
Do you find the Wing C better? I had a set of Wing C KT88, they were pretty good but I didn't have anything to compare it to.

The Winged C's are my favorite EL34. I bought a set right before their rediculous price hike and picked up the second pair last week pretty cheap (by Winged C standards anyway) from someone who didn't like them in a class A circuit.

Initially, I didn't like the 6L6 / 34 mix at all. Too boomy from what I was used to. After some tweaks I was able to dig it well enough. Going back to all 34's just seems to be the tone that works best for my ears.

Mattfig said:
I love my Winged C El34s...I use them along with a pair of EH 6CA7s...Gives it an amazing tone!

Maybe you already have but, what do the 6CA7's add? Are they more of a middle ground between 34's and 6L6's?

If so, it would be worth it to me to keep a set around so that the Winged C's are not getting all of the burn. I don't want to keep dropping the cash that the Winged C's are going for now days.

eyeball987 said:
Mattfig said:
I love my Winged C El34s...I use them along with a pair of EH 6CA7s...Gives it an amazing tone!

Maybe you already have but, what do the 6CA7's add? Are they more of a middle ground between 34's and 6L6's?

If so, it would be worth it to me to keep a set around so that the Winged C's are not getting all of the burn. I don't want to keep dropping the cash that the Winged C's are going for now days.

I think the 6CA7s add what seems like a hybrid of 6L6 and EL34 although in tone and breakup they are pretty much EL34s...They just have more thump + range and go really nicely with EL34s to my ear...They sound like EL34s that have dual citizenship in the US and UK... :D