Upgrading Parts on a Randall RG50TC

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keennay

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Randall RG50TC tube amp & I'm loving it so far with my Jackson DKMGT w/ EMG 81/85 active pickups (I play mostly on the EMG 81 pickup). It's used mostly for hard rock/metal (Dan Donegan's tone from Disturbed).

It comes with everything stock (was bought used), though I was wondering if there would be any major difference if I upgrade certain parts. I'm still a bit new to tube amps, but I was thinking I'd give it a few months before I upgrade any parts so that I'd actually be able to tell the difference.

Here's what it comes with stock:
  • 1 X 12? Celestion Seventy 80
    Four 12AX7EH Preamp Tubes
    Two 5881 Power Tubes
Does anyone have any suggestions for a speaker, preamp tubes, and power tubes?

Try first tungsol 12ax7 preamps tubes, it gives more mid and smoother hi-end. V30 speaker also work well.

As far as speakers go I'd go with a Hellatone 60L from Avatar Speakers.

Then I'd get a 5751 for your V1 position and a 12AT7 for the PI.

I like Winged C for power tubes (try dougs tubes).

Also a boost is always a good idea. I'd try a Digitech Bad Monkey just do to availability and how cheap it is.

Honestly after those mods if you don't like it, I can't help you personally.

Actually I use in my rh50t pretubes sovtek 12ax7wc(raw distortion) and they are very good for metal. I try also svetlana c 12ax7 (fat, bit dark and smooth) tubes but I think sovtek is better for this amp (SOVTEK 12AX7WC). In a power tubes I feel tungsol 5881(good detail and midrange) works best. I try svet. c6l6gc (one of the best tubes.)
also but i think it is too much for maintransformer. (bit overheating). Never feel I need any boost.

I use ESP M1 with blackout2 ,both Randalls ; mts cab and xl cab with v30

VHT Deliverance 60
Randall rt250
Voodoo lab preamp
Randall RH50T

Hey again.

I've decided on doing a speaker upgrade from the Celestion Seventy 80's to Celestion Vintage 30's. I've also decided on upgrading the (4) preamp tubes from 12AX7EH's to Tung-Sol 12AX7's, and the (2) power tubes from 5881's to either:

JJ 6L6's
JJ EL34's
Tung-Sol 6L6's

I have two questions:

Would an upgrade of preamp tubes (specifically the ones listed) really make a difference? Also, is anyone familiar with the two Randall RG50TC overdrive channels? I was wondering if I have, let's say, a JJ 6L6 power tube in slot 1, and a Tung-Sol 6L6 tube in slot 2. Would they be accessed separately through the two overdrive channels, or is it just best to have (2) of the same power tubes?

Excuse my ignorance but I am still a bit new to tube amplifiers, though I'm still looking through other threads (including the stickies).

Thanks for your time!