V30 vs Greenback

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6string

Reaction score
Anyone have an RM20 with Greenbacks in their cab? I'm curious as to how the greens would compare to V30s with this amp. I'm running a 1x12 cab with the 30 but thought about trying a Greenback.

I go from metal to classic rock and in between. Zep to AC/DC to GnR to Metallica. I save the blues for my Fender. Frfom some of the reading that I've done, the Greenback is more of a classic rock speaker with the V30 meant for the scooped heavy stuff. Maybe I just need another cab with a Greeny to play with?

In an RM20? That amp power section gets its tone from cooking a EL84s at high volume, but it's got to be cranked to cook 'em.

So if you're not cranking the master volume you should probably look at a speaker like a Greenback. The Greenback is rated at 20W (Heritage) or 25W (regular G12M). This will give you early cone breakup and a nicer tone.

The Vintage 30 is more for higher power amps. The breakup is later.

Personally I find Greenbacks better suited for my own use. The Vintage 30s also have a spike at 1.5 kHz which can get a bit like an ice pick especially with a Mesa DR type preamp.

V30s are perfect as classic rock & heavy rock speakers. It has a bit more of that midrange snarl, which I love and I think works great for that repertoire. Its true that it holds a bit longer before breakup but then again early breakup isn't everything. For more modern tones I'd say something like G12H30's, which I also love. That's what I use on my main recto cab, V30s/G12H30's in an X-pattern.

V30... more agressive mids and broken tempered glass highs, chunky low mids... more definition than greenbacks.

Greeenbacks, very little bottom which is slightly muddy, sweet vocal like mid hump, shimmering highs which get sweeter after breakup... sweeter and creamier than V30's.

Both are great for Rock, Classic Rock and some Metal... V30 defined 80's crunch rhythm and Greenbacks defined the 80's singing lead tones.

For example Iommi uses Heritage Greenbacks.

Greenbacks were my favorite speaker until the Eminance Lynch Super V ( based on the Vintage Fanes ). Hiwatts still come with Fanes... another excellent speaker.

hi khingpynn i have rm50 with a celestion g12t-75 and sometimes i would like to swap the speaker (is it easy to do?) with a v30 or im a huge fan of george lynch and 80 s sound,, and eminence super v could you tell me the difference? thanks

djkal said:
hi khingpynn i have rm50 with a celestion g12t-75 and sometimes i would like to swap the speaker (is it easy to do?) with a v30 or im a huge fan of george lynch and 80 s sound,, and eminence super v could you tell me the difference? thanks

I have a RM50 combo with a Super V and have tried it with a G12T75 and a Warehouse ET65. The Super V rocks with the combo. I have never been a big V30 guy but the out of the 3, the Super V sounds the best and the ET65 is next. If you like GL's 80's tone, I would go with the Super V over the 75.

The speaker swap is easy to do. I don't know how to describe the tone (others have on rig talk in the Egnater forum so try there) but it sounds like a bigger and better greenback and V30 mix. It also breaks up earlier than a V30 even though it has a higher wattage.

Some great comments here. My reasons for asking were 2 fold. One being what are the different tonal characteristics of the Greenback vs the V30 but more importantly how the 2 would react with the RM20. Since its a lower watt amp, is the Greenback more suitable than a V30? Someone mentioned the Super V. Would that work in a low watt amp since its a high watt speaker?

in my experience the Celestion GT-12-75 has alot more highs than a V30. To my ears it was ice-picky.
I use V30s and wherehouse veteran 30s..found out about em here..and they seem very,very equivalent.
To this day I wish I could find a store with speaker arrays so I could here more..and A/B things better
Anyone know of a good place in the Northeast to hear speakers????

Hi wattage speakers like the Super V will work fine in a low wattage amp like the RM20... it really depends on what you like best.

Can be hard to find a shop with a lot of different speakers especially from different manufacturers... places like Long and McQuade will let you purchase a speaker and try it out within the terms of thier exchange/refund policies.