want new tubes? can you help!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintkilz

Reaction score
ive come to like a combo of 6l6(Ruby) and EL34(JJ)...i received 2 sets of tubes with the head, and i feel i can scoop the mids a bit more with this combo and it seems a bit tighter..

my ??? is there a tube that i can use that would have the characteristics of a el34 and 6l6 mixed? i know that el34 have a bit more sizzle, and the 6l6 has a bit more headroom and bigger tighter lowend typically...

but what about other tubes?
kt88, kt66? kt77, 6550 5881? i know alot tend to be a variation of a more common tube type so thats why im asking for opinions. if i cant find anything different to try, im gonna either go with 2 pairs of winged c el34 and 6l6, or sed el34/6l6..maybe just back to the JJs...

what would people suggest for the preamp? i love my high gain...and which would need balanced for a PI..

i know alot of people give praise to the JJ ECC83, which would be cool...i thought people thought they were dark..all i have are sovtek, and EH..what about the 9th gen chinese for the high gain? when i had a 5150 thats what everyone said i would need for good high gain tones..

im playin technical death, with lots of chugs,stop/starts, and leads..so im lookin for somethin with a nice tight bottom, and not too harsh a top end-but i do love to hear the note "sizzle" a bit...

your guys' help is greatly appreciated..

Buy a pair KT77 and mix with either the 6L6 or EL34.

The SED tubes are great tho, surprised the EL34/6L6 mix ain't doing it

no it totally works....i just dont know how old they are, so i want to get some new ones.....

ill definitely take your advice...ive always like the KTs in VHTs...but that has nothing to do with the RM...so.

anyone else?

or anyone got ideas on preamp tubes?

2 kt-88's and 2 6l6's, jj pre amp tubes are good with some modules and not good at all with others, the chinese are good pretty much all the time but some have more mids than others but they always have good bass. 4 kt-88s in the power section are great but 2 kt-88 and 2 6l6 will give you exactly what you want cause a kt-88 is pretty much an el34 with huge bass and you already know what 6l6's sound like ( bigger low end nice highs scooped mid etc.) for pre i like the ruby 12ax7's (chinese ) i use them in everything except my 1086 , in that i use jj 12ax7's graded for high gain and all my ruby's are graded for high gain too for that matter, i wouldn't worry about the pi being matched too much, in my experience when i get a matched balanced triode tube for the pi it is always the first one to go micro to the point where i usually toss it in the trash. for power tubes you really can't go wrong with jj's or eh's, the winged c is good but not the sed and i've also had good results with sovtek wxt+ and they are quite cheap too- tad is also another good all around tube brand to check out as well