What speakers are most of you using in your RM rigs?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two cabs now... v30/Hellatone30 X pattern, v30/G12t75 X pattern

SuperV Lynch cab is for sale :D

The Greenbacks allow me to get the early cone breakup at moderate volumes. they breakup a lot earlier than the Vintage 30s. And the Vintage 30s add that bite to cut through a mix.

Julia said:
The Greenbacks allow me to get the early cone breakup at moderate volumes. they breakup a lot earlier than the Vintage 30s. And the Vintage 30s add that bite to cut through a mix.

I might try them when I get a TM412. Since they come with V30's I also want to try the K100's in the X pattern

V30 (Randall USA XL RA412)

I'd like one of the Celestion G12H-100 equiped cabs too, though :)

To-student said:
To cover the most styles of music?
V30?
Greenbacks?
Lead 80?

I think we all know this......but for whatever reason it gets passed over a lot when putting together guitar rigs;

The speakers, (and the cab they're loaded in of course), but the speakers themselves make more difference in your tone than anything else you can change.

Everyone on the planet can tell you what they are using but only your ears will tell you what you want! Celestion, Eminence and others, have great web sites with real decent audio clips of each speaker type. While I know that a zillion different things will dictate how those samples sound to you, including the speakers you audition the clips on, they still give a great representation of what the raw speaker does to the same amp/guitar/mic combo they use to record the samples. If you take the time to audition them through many speakers and headphones....you can start to narrow down to a few speakers that do what you want at the power/ohm ratings you are looking for....it's a pain and time consuming, but it does help.

I've used this process numerous times to audition and pick speakers for different rigs....and while it's not a fool proof plan, it has served me well.
Oddly, it's rarely the go to "flavor of the month" speaker that I end up with after doing the homework and listening to the on-line clips through multiple speaker (and headphone) sources.

Just an opinion and food for thought. Take time to make the right decision because it will make or break your system. I can tell you that 75% of the time when we're not happy with our tone....it's because of a poor pairing of Cabinet/speaker (regardless of whether it's a combo, head-cab or rack system).

James

V30s- reacts well to MTS' high gain nature and big bass tendencies.

I would love to try a 2X12 or a 4X12 with the EVH Celestion Sig and the George Lynch Super V Emminence combine.

Bluesguitar said:
Just an opinion and food for thought. Take time to make the right decision because it will make or break your system. I can tell you that 75% of the time when we're not happy with our tone....it's because of a poor pairing of Cabinet/speaker (regardless of whether it's a combo, head-cab or rack system).

James

That's a great point. A friend recently told me that after he switched to Port City cabs, it made a huge difference in his tone. He couldn't believe how good the SAME speakers sounded in a great cabinet, much more improvement in tone, more open like a blanket has been lifted from the sound.
I'm looking into Port City for my next cab purchase for sure.

Anyone try a EVM12L? I have one in a 1x12 cab that I am thinking about putting into my RM50 combo. It sounds great in the ported cabinet.

RM50 with G12T75 (being swapped with a G12K100 this weekend) and a TM2X12 with Elite 80's. I am looking for a ET65 and/or Scumback H75 to try also.