What tubes do you have in your Deluxe module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
What tubes come in the Deluxe module from the factory? I used to have a stock Deluxe and really thought it nailed a nice, fat Fender tone. The one I have now has had some modding and sounds a little harsh and sterile. Perhaps a tube swap might help.

What tubes do you have in yours and are they factory or did you swap them out?

Stockers like the Deluxe are really sensitive to tube changes believe it or not....If you want less gain, try a 5751 or 12AT7 in V1....If you want bright, try Tung-Sol....Middle of the road? JJ/Ruby/... Full bodied - EH...That's just my opinion of those tubes in THAT mod not all mods...

Hope that helps a bit....V1 will impact tone than V2 but you'll notice V2 has an overall feel to it...

Thanks. Just as a point of reference, do you know what tubes the Deluxe usually comes with from the factory?

Oyster said:
Mine came with JJ's new from Randall.

Les

Would that be the JJ ECC83-S?

Aren't there a couple of different types of JJs in use in the MTS modules?

Awhile back, I put a pair of JJ ECC83-S in my Brahma module and WOW, what a huge improvement! Fuller, and more gain! I have them in the Deluxe right now but haven't had a chance to crank it up to give it a good evaluation, but so far, it seems to be an improvement. What I was getting before the swap was an ice picky, harsh top end thing with an overall lack of warmth--sort of flat and sterile sounding. My original stock Deluxe didn't sound that way--it was nice and fat and warm sounding. Hopefully this will be the fix.

Well, I think this makes it clear that it's the tubes:
http://www.worldtubecompany.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=TF-2

"Sovtek 12AX7WA - Brittle, thin, low gain. Avoid."

I guess I'm surprised the module came back from the modder with those tubes. They sound just as described on the website I referenced. Brittle, thin, low gain. Yes, I want to be able to clean up the module sometimes, but with those tubes, it sounds harsh and sterile. For dirty , SRV style blues, the Deluxe module just kills as long as it has the right tubes and the Sovtek "WA" are definitely not it.