What's the plate voltage of an RM50? Need Bias help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing the KT77s will be the same as EL34s.

biassettings.jpg

Not sure of the plate voltage...

Thanks Drew.. I was asking about plate voltage because I have a bias calculator and it will give me an accurate bias figure...but that chart is great,,,,thanks again

Rod said:
Thanks Drew.. I was asking about plate voltage because I have a bias calculator and it will give me an accurate bias figure...but that chart is great,,,,thanks again

I'm sure someone around here knows the plate voltage. I'm not an amp tech, I just use my simple little chart from the manual and hope things go well. :D

That 513 is really high. Most of the RM amps tend to range between 470-500 here and my wall voltage is typically around 120-124V.

Thanks for the compliment! Your plate voltage will vary with your line voltage. My amp averages 505-510 VDC depending on the time of day.
Hey Matt, are you using a power conditioner?

Thanks everyone for piping in... So... according to this bias calculator... at 500 volts, the bias for an el34 should be only 28mv per tube...
Drew's Randall tube bias recommendation sheet says quite a bit higher..
What should I set the bias to? Is a KT77 going to be any different ?

Rod said:
Thanks everyone for piping in... So... according to this bias calculator... at 500 volts, the bias for an el34 should be only 28mv per tube...

Where's Bruce? :lol:

Rod said:
The KT77 should go right between the E34L and the 6550, really. Unless of course you want more glass-y sounds by running it cold.

Your best bet is really measuring the voltage and estimate the bias current from that. Some valves draw more than others, which lead the PT to drop in voltage. But you're correct in that the higher the plate voltage the less the bias current to equal the specified/ desired dissipation.