Whattaya think? Midi footswitch mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
before anyone asks, yeah, I changed out all the red LEDs to blue on my pedalboard because they are brighter and look cooler. They are the same 3mm LEDs used on our modules.

I got tired of having a crappy looking pedalboard. Depending on the rig I'm using, anywhere from $2k to $5k worth of amp gear, and I had hand lettered tape on my board? I tried laserprinting labels and taping them down, but that didn't look that great either. Behold my solution:

First off, black background, white lettering:

with flash
gcpro.jpg

without flash
gcpro2.jpg

And glow in the dark.

With the lights out in a dark room - worse than any stage would ever be:
gcpro3.jpg

...and lights on.
gcpro4.jpg

Note that some of it may be a little wobbly looking, I didn't attach the material to the board with double sided tape yet. It's the same type of material my faceplates are made of, so it's very durable.

I can of course change fonts, this was easy to read and had a cool kinda 'spraypainted gig' vibe while still looking nice and neat. Can also do these for probably any footswitch, would just need a few measurements and we're set. Haven't figured out pricing yet, but going to add these to gigmods soon. Glow in the dark material is a little pricier and requires more handling - I have to fill in the lettering from the back so it contrasts better.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Cool or not? :D

Pete

If any of you guys are interested, send me an email at [email protected] (please don't PM, it fills up super fast) and we'll figure it out. I have a Rocktron midi-mate here, a Ground control pro (obviously) and a Rolls midi buddy. If you have anything else, you'll need to provide me with a few measurements and we're good to go.

The pics I show are strips - If you don't mind a little more care in your placement, I can also do them cut into individual footswitch pieces - this way if you make one small change to your pedalboard (don't want the harmonizer, would rather put an overdrive there) you can do it a lot easier than getting a whole new strip.

I ended up going with the white on mine, looks great and I never play clubs that are that dark, we always have some sort of stage lighting going on. The huge letters should be super easy to see though and it looks about 50x more professional than just writing on tape.

Pete

Guys, How would I be able to set up a chorus stompbox so it can be turned on with a MIDI foot controller?

I'm looking to get a midi foot controller and a chorus pedal, but don't want to tap dance. I was looking at maybe setting it up so the chorus turned on automatically when the channel was set to clean.

Any way to get this done?

Moe. said:
Guys, How would I be able to set up a chorus stompbox so it can be turned on with a MIDI foot controller?

I'm looking to get a midi foot controller and a chorus pedal, but don't want to tap dance. I was looking at maybe setting it up so the chorus turned on automatically when the channel was set to clean.

Nope. Not unless you have some sort of midi controller gizmo like a rocktron patchmate. Your best bet would probably be to find a cheap midi processor that has chorus in it (like a rocktron intellifex) and have it set up to change to a chorus patch when you are on the clean channel. If you already have the Randall controller for an RM100, it IS a midi controller, just a very limited one. You can use it with a processor.

Pete

okstrat said:
Moe. said:

Nope. Not unless you have some sort of midi controller gizmo like a rocktron patchmate. Your best bet would probably be to find a cheap midi processor that has chorus in it (like a rocktron intellifex) and have it set up to change to a chorus patch when you are on the clean channel. If you already have the Randall controller for an RM100, it IS a midi controller, just a very limited one. You can use it with a processor.

Pete

Ahkay. I've got the three button footswitch for the RM100, how would I go about programming it to change the patch of a Midi processor?

Thanks for the info too.

Moe. said:
okstrat said:
Moe. said:

Pete

Ahkay. I've got the three button footswitch for the RM100, how would I go about programming it to change the patch of a Midi processor?

Thanks for the info too.

No problem. Easiest way would be to hook up the midi processor with your RM100 (midi thru from RM100 to midi in of processor most likely) and then of course have your footswitch connected to the RM100. Press the first button - whatever preset your processor changes to, put your effects you want for the first button at that location.

You aren't really going to be able to 'program' the footswitch, but you can program the processor around it. Kinda like when you set up your RM100 - you click on the footswitch and then select/save the channel it selects ON THE AMP.

okstrat said:
No problem. Easiest way would be to hook up the midi processor with your RM100 (midi thru from RM100 to midi in of processor most likely) and then of course have your footswitch connected to the RM100. Press the first button - whatever preset your processor changes to, put your effects you want for the first button at that location.

You aren't really going to be able to 'program' the footswitch, but you can program the processor around it. Kinda like when you set up your RM100 - you click on the footswitch and then select/save the channel it selects ON THE AMP.

Ah alright. Thanks Pete. :)

I just found this thread and I think you have really come up with a practical improvement. May I also add:
Can you make an older model Ground control store like 200 presets(instead of the 100 its got)?
I think the original model is so much better (the rooms dont have much floor space many times..and also, the pro module requires you to sort of tap dance though a sea of buttons to get the one you want...not a good idea when the crowd is dancing in the stage area...the stage is heaving up and down a bit, etc etc).
I tell you ok..if you ever get involved in multifx programming/racks for working pros let me know I have a ton of good ideas.

cool, but i would have made my instant access switches different colors from the presets (much like the axess electronics fx-1)

GtrGeorge! said:
I just found this thread and I think you have really come up with a practical improvement. May I also add:
Can you make an older model Ground control store like 200 presets(instead of the 100 its got)?
I think the original model is so much better (the rooms dont have much floor space many times..and also, the pro module requires you to sort of tap dance though a sea of buttons to get the one you want...not a good idea when the crowd is dancing in the stage area...the stage is heaving up and down a bit, etc etc).
I tell you ok..if you ever get involved in multifx programming/racks for working pros let me know I have a ton of good ideas.

Can't add extra presets, I'm not much of an EPROM guy. :) I would strongly discourage anyone who got on my stage, dancing or not - too much of a chance for someone to trip into a guitar stand, drums, etc...

Pete