which module for early Sabbath sound?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So I have gone totally GAS berserk in the past 45 days; up to a ridiculous 13 modules when the Grail I just bought arrives. My already short attention span is spinning into ADHD territory, I feel obligated to use as many as possible during each practice session to try to pin down cover song tones.

Band is playing a few early Sabbath songs- War Pigs, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Paranoid, Sweat Leaf, etc. -I've been experimenting with a bunch of modules to try to come close to that signature 70's Iommi Laney sound. I think it comes fairly close using my SG Special with the Brahma - gain on about 3 and mid jacked up to about 7 or 8. But... that's not quite it. I know Iommi used a Rangemaster (or clone) to bump up his high ends, aside from adding effects, what module would people suggest to nail that Sabbath sound?

Thanks for the tip - my Top Boost is getting repaired (bright switch was broken) and then modded to allow cutting the gain for more of a clean tone- will try it out when I get it back.

Brahma is a good choice but I like the gain dimed to hit some good pinch squeals.

If you're going to be that authentic about it you'll need a ring modulator for the solo on Paranoid. Moog makes one and it ain't cheap. And there's this other thing: can a ring modulator even be remotely musical? I found them horrid. Good riddance. Me? I say add your own touch. Great song. I crank it through whatever I feel like at the moment.

maximus1 said:

really? I have a Grail on its way, will give it a try, not one of the modules I thought would be close to that sound though.

Julia said:
Brahma is a good choice but I like the gain dimed to hit some good pinch squeals.

If you're going to be that authentic about it you'll need a ring modulator for the solo on Paranoid. Moog makes one and it ain't cheap. And there's this other thing: can a ring modulator even be remotely musical? I found them horrid. Good riddance. Me? I say add your own touch. Great song. I crank it through whatever I feel like at the moment.

Nah, I am not going to extremes, just trying to come close as I can with a stock module. Brahma continues to impress me with its "musicality" - really nice ringing harmonics/overtones at lower to mid gains, more than any other module I own. I should have mentioned that I play in a 2 guitar band & what I play is almost exclusively rhythm, so leads aren't part of the formula- just trying to nail the Sabbath rhythm tone.

Just for anyone searching around & found this old thread- I picked up a 2nd Top Boost for cheap, had it sent directly to Voodoo & had Trace custom mod it specifically to come as close as possible to early Sabbath tone. He nailed it. The gain control is smooth all the way across the dial so I can also get a decent Machine Head era Deep Purple tone and even a clean tone- although the output level is pretty low relative to other modules to get t there, since I have to put the gain down to only about 1. This module isn't about cleans though, so no problem.

If anyone is looking for that early Sabbath tone, ask Voodoo for the "War Pig" mod, PM me for more info.

9985 said:
Just for anyone searching around & found this old thread- I picked up a 2nd Top Boost for cheap, had it sent directly to Voodoo & had Trace custom mod it specifically to come as close as possible to early Sabbath tone. He nailed it. The gain control is smooth all the way across the dial so I can also get a decent Machine Head era Deep Purple tone and even a clean tone- although the output level is pretty low relative to other modules to get t there, since I have to put the gain down to only about 1. This module isn't about cleans though, so no problem.

If anyone is looking for that early Sabbath tone, ask Voodoo for the "War Pig" mod, PM me for more info.

Got any sound clips of that?

I'm hitting it with a Brahma set to gain 11:00 with a Keeley Java Boost set to full range. Don't forget Iommi used a Diaz on his Laney. A JTM with this will cover it too.

Mindseye said:
9985 said:

Got any sound clips of that?

I tried, but the recording quality sucked so bad using an old cassette recorder through a PA so bad that it didn't do it justice. My gear is so heavy/huge it doesn't leave the band's practice area to come home with me- if we ever get any decent recording gear set up (or I buy a RM20 for home), I'll give it another go.

Don't forget for early Sabbath to run a period amp module (like a JTM, Plexi, or Brahma (set mid gain)) and run a rangemaster type treble boost like a Keeley Java Boost since you can't get the Diaz anymore except on ebay. And don't forget the Fender Blender.... or the Fulltone Octafuzz (you can switch on the octave function, set the drive at 0, and get a ring modulator effect when you cascade it into the Java Boost).

I use my Grail module for Sabbath. It really is not very authentic. The Grails heavy but articulate manner makes it great for living room renditions of sweet leaf. I would use something else if I were going to multitrack and use effects.