Which module for lead?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, I should rephrase that. If I was to only get one gain module for an RM 50, which would cover both rhythm and lead and still have masses of liquid gain and mids then which one should I get? Or, another option is to forgo the clean sound and just get the Mr Scary or SL+ and aforementioned lead module.

Ya know what? After listening to the Ultra XL clips vs the XTC clips on both Youtube and on the Randall site, I have determined that the Ultra XL doesn't do what I want in a rhythm/lead tone or, if I go with 2 distortion modules and forgo the clean. I guess I will get the XTC for lead and probably the Mr Scary or the SL+ for rhythm. If I get a clean, it will be Blackface.

I think you're on the right track: Blackfacefor clean, XTC for leads. Some like the xtc for rhythm, but not me- I find other modules better for that Crunch. But it is so sweet on leads...

Rhythm modules are a matter of taste, basically Marshall vs Mesa as many of the mods lean one way or the other. I love BLS so the SL+ would be a great all purpose module imo. The Treadplate is great chainsaw, but stock not very inspiring for leads.

If you like EVH, the Brown is awesome at that explorative rhythm + lead style he has

crankyrayhanky said:
I think you're on the right track: Blackfacefor clean, XTC for leads. Some like the xtc for rhythm, but not me- I find other modules better for that Crunch. But it is so sweet on leads...

Rhythm modules are a matter of taste, basically Marshall vs Mesa as many of the mods lean one way or the other. I love BLS so the SL+ would be a great all purpose module imo. The Treadplate is great chainsaw, but stock not very inspiring for leads.

If you like EVH, the Brown is awesome at that explorative rhythm + lead style he has
I am a huge BLS fan so the SL+ sounds like it could work.

even closer to Zakk should be the JCM800 modification that is available on the SL+. But stock this module delivers that low string pinch squeal no problem, especially with a MXR Wylde boost and a Paul with those Zakk 10-60 strings.

Ray, Philadelphia Chapter

crankyrayhanky said:
even closer to Zakk should be the JCM800 modification that is available on the SL+. But stock this module delivers that low string pinch squeal no problem, especially with a MXR Wylde boost and a Paul with those Zakk 10-60 strings.

Ray, Philadelphia Chapter

+1 for the JCM800 mod. Although, I've never heard a stock SL+ in person. With the mod, I think there is a perception of a little more gain, too.