Which module for Marshall type Clean?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
I am GASing for a RM22 to replace my 120W all out Bogner stack.

For Lead I am pretty set on the Judge module.

Clean I am unsure. I am looking for something that can give me Marshall Plexi type clean and slight breakup, think Jimmy Page Stairway to heaven live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugxFcmZXDyc

Clean: Beginning up to 2.08 when it starts to breakup nicely on strummed chords, up to a pretty good crunch from Minute 5:00 on. Doesn't need to do the lead tone.

I think the Plexi Module is too much gain for this? JTM too flubby in the bottom?

Which (stock) should I go for?

I agree, plexi = too much gain and doesn't clean up nicely. For stock modules, I like the Brahma.

Modded, JF 59RR cleans up nice. So does the Voodoo Sear, believe it or not. It has internal gain trim pots to dial it back if needed. The biggest difference is the Sear isn't quite as as nasty as most Marshall mods. It's a cleaner gain, if that makes any sense.

For stock modules, get a JTM and put a Silver Mica 1000pf cap in the C3. That should clear up the flub, along with maybe some Tung sol preamp tubes.

If you're going the modded route, the SG MK22 in 2203 mode is very clean with breakup occurring as the gain is pushed past 8 or so.

It's similar gain-wise to an actual Marshall JTM45 but the tone stack is different. IMO, it sounds killer.

Mike P said:
If you're going the modded route, the SG MK22 in 2203 mode is very clean with breakup occurring as the gain is pushed past 8 or so.

It's similar gain-wise to an actual Marshall JTM45 but the tone stack is different. IMO, it sounds killer.

Agreed. Drewiv has mentioned multiple times he uses my MK22 as his clean tone. I also suspect he uses it in 2203 mode.

SacredGroove said:
Mike P said:

Agreed. Drewiv has mentioned multiple times he uses my MK22 as his clean tone. I also suspect he uses it in 2203 mode.

Indeed! I actually started writing a reply to this thread, but then saw he specifically mentioned "stock." For me, no stock module does the Marshall "clean" justice. Then again, the only use I find for stock modules is to be a good donor... :lol: The MK22 in 2203 mode is by far THE MARSHALL CLEAN module. Nothing is even close. Gorgeous Marshall clean, if you want Marshall clean - you want Sacred Groove's MK22.

I'm loving my Gigmods JTM- bought years ago and thought, "this thing will be flipped" but learned to truly love its sound- it survived many Gear sell offs. It does Jimi chime really well, has a clean shimmer that cuts through beautiful n a band setting, surprises you with the amount of gain it delivers, and smokes on smooth jazzy applications

Is JTM a Fender or Marshall? IDK but this mod is overlooked and underspoken

crankyrayhanky said:
Is JTM a Fender or Marshall? IDK but this mod is overlooked and underspoken

A JTM45 is an awesome sounding 30 watt Marshall. It's design is slightly unique to the Marshall line and uses KT66 power tubes and a tube rectifier, which gives it character unlike the two or four input JMP's or the JCM line.

Thanks for all the replies guys, great info here!

I checked the Brahma, and couldn't find many clips doing clean, but on this video review, it seems the Super V has a more vintage tone to it than the Brahma, the latter sounding a bit bright and thin, whereas the Super V has some lower mid meat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEJdrGCI-kk

But then again, it's just a clip.

I am interested in the mod route, but the Mk22 or the Mashall Plus, the JF59RR etc. However I have a few questions:
-Do I have to buy the module, then ship it to the modder? Problem is, I am in Europe and most modders are in the US. Shipping/Customs and all would kill it unless I could buy the finished product off them
-Which modules are good for which mods?
-Are there any websites with more info on them?

I am tempted to just get a Super V, but not sure ...

hunter said:
Thanks for all the replies guys, great info here!

I checked the Brahma, and couldn't find many clips doing clean, but on this video review, it seems the Super V has a more vintage tone to it than the Brahma, the latter sounding a bit bright and thin, whereas the Super V has some lower mid meat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEJdrGCI-kk

But then again, it's just a clip.

I am interested in the mod route, but the Mk22 or the Mashall Plus, the JF59RR etc. However I have a few questions:
-Do I have to buy the module, then ship it to the modder? Problem is, I am in Europe and most modders are in the US. Shipping/Customs and all would kill it unless I could buy the finished product off them
-Which modules are good for which mods?
-Are there any websites with more info on them?

I am tempted to just get a Super V, but not sure ...
Clips on the modules are rare for some modules. Making decisions hard I know. I am set up to do some clips, now that I got my laptop back. Now I just need to get off my lazy butt! lol The Super V will always be one of my favs. Ive had two. If marshall cleans are what you are seeking it isnt it but does sound great IMO. All of the modded modules you listed was made using a gain type mod. Meaning no Clean,Blackface,KH1. Seems to me about all the pro modders can create for you want you want by sending them any gain module. Being where you are Salvation might be the modder to hit up.
There are websites for most of the modders.
Just google their name. Im sure it will come up. Or just PM them here.

I sometimes have donors in stock, but nothing currently. You can always buyone here in the US and have it sent directly to me as well. PM for details or with any questions you might have and I would be happy to help.

Rob

Thanks JF and all.

Yeah buying off the bay in the US or something and have it shipped to a modder might make sense. Or salvation indeed, he is in Europe, too.

Well first I gotta get the amp. Based on what the shop has in stock I am tempted to get a DLX and a Judge for starters, then take it from there.

hunter said:
Thanks JF and all.

Yeah buying off the bay in the US or something and have it shipped to a modder might make sense. Or salvation indeed, he is in Europe, too.

Well first I gotta get the amp. Based on what the shop has in stock I am tempted to get a DLX and a Judge for starters, then take it from there.

Since you're in Europe, I'd recommend bypassing The Judge and just contact Anthony at Salvation Mods and order either a MashAll or a MashOldano. You'll have nearly the same cash tied up in a donor module and a mod than you would a new Judge and I can absolutely guarantee you'll be FAR happier with any module from Anthony than the Judge or similar modules.

Thanks for the tips. There is also a guy in Germany called Tonehunter who apparetly does mods. But no info about him on this forum as it appears ...?

Ok, order is placed, I will officially become an MTS user. The amp is on backorder, so I should get it all end of July/beginning of August:

-RM22 Head
+Malcolm Module
+Judge Module

I am excited!
:p