Which module is best for the Lynch/Wylde boosted Marshall?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hello,

I will get my hands on an RM4 tomorrow. Second hand with the CLEAN, JMT, MODERN and ULTRA modules.

I will run it alongside with my ADA 3TM which is my main preamp for the hot rodded marshall thing. Which module is the most likely to get me in the ballpark?

The SL+ comes to my but so do the mister scary module, or the Brahma.

It is unlikely I will be able to try before buying so I will need advice. I am looking at it from a rhytm perspective mainly rather than a lead channel.

BTW, I will probably be willing to sell/swap some of these modules shortly. Once the higher gain ones for sure.

I don't have my RM100 until tomorrow (great hopes) but I just left a friends house who has a LynchBox and the Mister Scary is the ****!!!
They say with a plexi module and an overdrive you can get the SL+ tone only better and that the plexi Module covers more range...I have to agree as the same friend also has the plexi Module and it does cover alot of ground and a slight boost infront of it would be perfect IMHO.
I was able to get close to Mister Scary with the Plexi but it has something to it that the Plexi just won't get ( a certain midrange aliveness and GRIND ) I will also be checking out the Grail module tomorrow which is supposed to be the more Recto Lynch sound....which when I opened for them on the Dysfunctional Tour in StL MO back 10 or so yrs ago sounded great to me too. But definately go for a Mister Scary if you like Lynch tone.

I am definitely getting a plexi. It has great reviews everywhere and there are awesome clips on this forum. Actually, I will get my RM4 with a JTM module. Maybe with a booster in front it will be enough mid gain marshall to my liking.

The SL+ doesn't seem to get a lot of good press here unless it is moded. So I guess I'll be hesitating between the Mr Scary and Brahma

Where are you runing your bios at. If you run it high, it should squeel all you want. I've had mine at 45, then in the lower #'s 35 +. I prefer the lower #'s. But if you want it to break up more run it high.

I thought Brown with Bad monkey boost can take you there for dirt cheap !
This combination sounds great to me - and if you run el34 you've got modded Marshall haven.

There is no shortage of marshall typed modules and there are surely many ways to get the hot rodded marshall sound. The Scary is great if you don't plan on using a booster.

I tried this week en to boost a midly overdriven JTM with a highly overdriven Maxon OD-9 and I loved the result. Definitely not a modern sound. It captures very well the early marshall sounds up to Led Zeppelin.

I wish I could play around with the Plexi, SL+, Brown modules for a couple of days with my pedals but for now, I'll stick to the JTM + boost for the old marshall sound and with the Scary for the 80's typed overdrive.

ok so i seem to be the only person with good things to say about the sl+ module. but i have that running with the rm100 head and a laney 4x12, and i have to say if you're looking for the wylde tone it's easy as hell with that module. it just depends on how you're volume's set. if you crank the module volume and lower the master volume on the head you'll be able to make a tone similar to what you're looking for without buying a module with a secondary distortion.

I think the SL+ is killer. I use it as my main module for dirty sounds. It's very versatile. I put the .001 cap in, btw.

6stringgrind said:
I think the SL+ is killer. I use it as my main module for dirty sounds. It's very versatile. I put the .001 cap in, btw.

I have a sl+ also, what does the .001 cap do for the module?

patch68 said:
6stringgrind said:

I have a sl+ also, what does the .001 cap do for the module?

It tightens up the bottom end.