Which Multieffect with RM100?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?rd?gv

Reaction score
I am looking for a new effect unit...and I have to say that I am not really a friend of rack units...because of the space, ...head,rack, midiboard, some guitars...thats too much to carry to every gig...

Mainly I need compressor, channel switching, maybe Wah...and also the whole modulation and reverb, echo stuff

what would be the best solution for me?

Boss GT-8
Korg AX-3000G
Vox Tonelab LE/SE

or when a rackunit, G-Major?

The AXE-FX is a truly killer piece, but probably pretty complicated, especially if you haven't messed around w/ any rack MFX like that before. I would suggest the GT-8. I use one in my setup (RM4/RT250) and it's perfect. There is lot's of flexibility for routing FX, and the fact that I DON'T have to use the preamp sounds that are in the unit is a huge plus. Of all of the units you listed, this is the only one that will let you route FX before or after your preamp and the GT-8 will let you change channels on your RM100 via MIDI. As for the FX themselves they are pretty solid. If you want to spend more there are nicer sounds out there, but I have to say that for an all-in-one MFX, this is probably your best bet.

RD/Rich said:
The AXE-FX is a truly killer piece, but probably pretty complicated, especially if you haven't messed around w/ any rack MFX like that before. I would suggest the GT-8. I use one in my setup (RM4/RT250) and it's perfect. There is lot's of flexibility for routing FX, and the fact that I DON'T have to use the preamp sounds that are in the unit is a huge plus. Of all of the units you listed, this is the only one that will let you route FX before or after your preamp and the GT-8 will let you change channels on your RM100 via MIDI. As for the FX themselves they are pretty solid. If you want to spend more there are nicer sounds out there, but I have to say that for an all-in-one MFX, this is probably your best bet.

Actually the Axe-Fx is the most intuitive fx boxes I've ever used. Very easy to program.

You can also (using the Axe-FX effects loop) route pre or post preamp. I have heard good things about the GT8 but I suspect the effects quality of the Axe-FX is on a different level.

Might want to browse through the manual of both.

How much is the Axe-FX? I used a GT8 with an RM100 with limited success... it sucked the tone pretty badly, and currently use a TC Gmajor and it works great!

If the Axe FX is around a grand or more, look into a higher end TC electronics box. Would probably smoke it for fx only.

Pete

i use a Rocktron Xpression through the effects loop of my RM50 head and it's very transparent and crystal clear...no mud,no tone "suckage" that i can tell!!! a great unit,especially for the money.

Most of what I've gathered from reading here on the forum indicates the most satisfaction with Rocktron and TC Electronics brand. Least tone suck. I'd recomend hiting the search button and typing in "effects units".

I agree. There's been a couple useful threads covering this topic on the past. Can't go wrong with either one really.

I ditched my Lexicon MPX-1 for the Lexicon MX400 to use in the loop of my RM4. Im pleased with it.

I have an Eventide GTR4000, Intellifex, and the Lexicon MPX-1 . For the money, less tone suckage, the Intellifex it difficult to beat. You can pick one up on EBay for $ 150 ( the old blackface version). The Eventide is great, but overkill, and complicated to use for a first timer. I currently use the MPX-1 and I'm very happy with it. The Rocktron gear is great though, seamless, no dropout, and the best chorus and delays available. Just turn the Hush off unless you're running mega gain !

H

I should have mentioned the MPX-1 was smarter then me and kicked my *** and that was my reason for getting rid of it. :)

Drew- The MPX-1 is great , just a little tweeking and it sounds killer. If you ever give it another shot PM me and I can give you some tips. I run it with two Budda heads and it sounds great.

H

seeker said:
Drew- The MPX-1 is great , just a little tweeking and it sounds killer. If you ever give it another shot PM me and I can give you some tips. I run it with two Budda heads and it sounds great.

H
Thank you very much Seeker

?rd?gv?r said:
I am looking for a new effect unit...and I have to say that I am not really a friend of rack units...because of the space, ...head,rack, midiboard, some guitars...thats too much to carry to every gig...
quote] :D

So far all I have seen mentioned is rack units.

well...it the rack units seem to be better...

now I am thinking about the g-major or the Boss GT-8

the problem is that i have no chance to try one of those...when i want to, i have to take one of them ...and then pay 100? more for them ...at least

I had a GT-8 and did not like it all that much. I was unable to have the module volume past 5 without causing an overload in the input meter. I recall it digitally distorting and cutting out the signal because it was too much input. The Rocktron and T.C. stuff is good but I simplified and went to a few pedals. I just recently purchased a Tech 21 Boost DLA and Para Driver Eq and that is I all I use now. They can be placed in the +4 effects loop with no issues. Whatever you use, you should check to make sure it will work with the line level +4 input rather than an instrument level -10 input.

metal archer said:
Whatever you use, you should check to make sure it will work with the line level +4 input rather than an instrument level -10 input.

Or just buy an Ebtech....that's what I did and it works great.