Which of these modules would you give up?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonP

Reaction score
It's a long story but I must pick one of these to go. Which would you get rid of?

I have 2 Grails and was going to give up one of those, because I'll still have one, but then I thought it might be better to get rid of a cheaper module and keep the Grail for a future swap or mod. So pick the module that is the cheapest to replace / easiest to get.

I have a Blackface and an SL+ also, so consider that. Maybe one of the modules below overlaps one of those. My gut feeling is to give up the KH-1 or the Tweed since I have a Blackface for cleans.

(Must get rid of one of these)
KH-1
Tweed
Plexi
Top Boost
Grail

I have these modules as well, but I doubt I'd want to loose one of these instead of a second Grail.
Mr. Scary
Super V
Judge

Thanks.

if a Grail is worth more and you're considering potential future mods anyway, I'd get rid of the second Grail. The inherent value in any stock module is moot if intend to get it modded. Rob at Jaded Faith can create the same mod using the Plexi or a Grail (for example) as the base. So why not use the cheaper option for a mod & enjoy the extra $$ you can get for the Grail?

On the other hand, if you're happy with the Blackface for your clean tones and don't intend to have the KH-1 modded into some kind of super duper clean module, I'd sell it. Do you need two clean modules?

Right.

See, let's say I give up the Tweed. Can I sell the extra Grail and have money to buy the Tweed and then some?

Maybe I should re-word this as which of these is worth the least out of:

KH-1
Tweed
Plexi
Top Boost
Grail

And yes, if the KH-1 is pretty much the same as the Blackface, I might as well get rid of the KH-1.

Don,

why aren't you getting you're base modules modded? The only thing I use my base mods for are paperweights. Just save some money and contact one of the modders and you'll have an awesome rig/ tone.

18565.gif

top_boost.jpg

KH-1 be gone. I would also off the second Grail. Then get Scott to Fisch your Tweed. You will be very happy. :wink:

The Rossness said:
Don,

why aren't you getting you're base modules modded? The only thing I use my base mods for are paperweights. Just save some money and contact one of the modders and you'll have an awesome rig/ tone.

One thing at a time. I'm still very new to this and only had the RM100 for less than a month. I'm still figuring out what I like and don't like. That's pretty much why I'm asking these (to you) silly questions. I almost gave a Grail instead of, say a KH-1.

For mod'ed modules, my guess in what I know so far is that the 59RR is very popular for Marshall tones, I like the Trilogy's ability to do all flavors of 5150, I'd want a solid Mesa and maybe a Soldono (might be covered by the 59RR).

Still a crapload to learn and figure out.

Even last night, I was having a blast with the stock Judge. The Stock Mr. Scary seems good to me too.

Ok, 2 votes KH-1 and 2 for Top Boost. I sort of like Top Boost so things aren't looking good for Kirk. I'll A/B him against a Blackface.

Everyone says keep the Tweed? I have had very little time with it so I wouldn't be a good judge of it. But KH-1's seem easier to score than Tweed's.

Keep in mind that you have more options to mod the top boost as it has the added gain circuitry vs. the KH1 as well.

The Salvation site has a handy compatibility chart to Czech errr check out

:lol:

http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=compatibility

It's useful not just for Salvo mods, but just in general to see which boards more easily can become other preamps.

Also,KH1 and blackface are very similar....though the KH1 doesnt break uP as easy with hotter pickups....both are good clean modules....KH is probably worth a little ore being a signature mod....

Keep the Tweed and have Rob at Jaded Faith mod it later. I use my KH-1 and Super clean over the Deluxe. I would get rid of the Deluxe but that is not an option.

Never cared for the Top Boost.

I would get rid of that one if one has to go.

In a perfect world I would keep them all and start moding them later!
:D

Another "not very scientific" survey of ebay shows a couple of KH-1's at the $150 range, but the Top Boost is around $200.

Also, KH-1 is one of those modules on JF's site that is "NOT" a good doner module.

Some things to consider.

Is a KH-1 just a blackface with the gain turned down?

DonP said:
Another "not very scientific" survey of ebay shows a couple of KH-1's at the $150 range, but the Top Boost is around $200.

KH-1 is a clean based module, like Clean, Blackface and Deluxe. Very limited for mod work.

Top Boost can be used for basically any mod out there like virtually all mid/high gain stock mods. $200 for a top boost on ebay, that's crazy - might be someone who doesn't know about this forum :) Can't remember last time I saw a top boost or any stock module (non signature) sell for near that.

Typically stock donor mods can go anywhere from $80-85 (clean based) to $100-130 (mid/high based) or $125-150+ (signature models).

The non sig stockers will all fetch about the same amount of cash, probably in the $80-$125 range at best. The sig stockers probably $125-$150. I thought the Top Boost & Super V were both based on the Vox AC30 tone. If they are similar I would dump the Top Boost. To be honest I would dump both as they are to shrill for my liking.

Well, if you are NOT going to be running out and getting these suckers modded, I'd have to say get rid of the Top Boost. Especially since you have some overlap there with the SuperV. As was already mentioned, The value of a signature mod is usually going to be greater than a standard one. If you need to get rid of one....Bye bye Top Boost. :wink: