Which stock module would you keep?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonP

Reaction score
Top Boost or Plexi?

To go with:
Blackface
Mr. Scary
Grail
SL+

I'm sort of thinking Top Boost because that's "different" from the other Marshall based modules.

What do you think?

Thanks!

I think he means between the Top Boost and the Plexi. Never having played either, I can't personally comment.

Whoopysnorp said:
I think he means between the Top Boost and the Plexi. Never having played either, I can't personally comment.

Yes, this is correct. I'll be keeping the SL+. I have to decide between the Top Boost and the Plexi.

Thanks!

I have a Voxless (that rocks!) but honestly I wish I had kept my Plexi. It had a little 'something'. Never had a Top Boost but hey...go with the one you forsee missing the most. I honestly preferred the Plexi to the SL+.

Top Boost but only because its "different'....The Plexi stock kicks it @ss in my opinion though...But you have SL+ and Scary and can back off the gain a bit to get some mid gain Marshall tones going.

I agree with the folks who said mod the top boost and keep the plexi.
My stock plexi is the only one I have kept stock. I have a 59RR Platinum for all the other Marshall tones, but I did not want to mess with the plexi. The Top Boost is now a VoxLess and I love it too.

I didn't care for MTS vox tones until I got my first Salvation Matchvox. I tried both the Top Boost and the Super V and the best part was the SV's cool faceplate!

just my 2 cents-

rblyn said:
Top Boost but only because its "different'....The Plexi stock kicks it @ss in my opinion though...But you have SL+ and Scary and can back off the gain a bit to get some mid gain Marshall tones going.

See, I was thinking the same thing - it's different. But the Plexi seems very popular so I might just end up keeping that.

I had the Super V (different but still Voxish), and I did not like it, it had way to much sparkle/jangle. With that said I also did not like the Plexi. The bass was too boomy. I don't think you will get the SL+ to sound like the Plexi. So maybe keep the Plexi for more of that mid/low crunch Marshall tone. The SL+ for the higher gain stuff.

If you like jangly & different then keep the Top Boost.

My initial thoughts in comparing the Top Boost to the Plexi is the Top Boost seems to have more gain with scooped mids. The Plexi's low gain is leaving me a little "meh".

I am testing with all the controls dimed except for level in order to try an apples to apples comparison, but maybe I shouldn't?

I'm not having any issues with boominess. I usually have the presence set at noon and the depth on max.

My DSL100 with the deep on has a bigger bottom.

EL34s all around.

I'm trying to like the Plexi but I'm liking the gain of the Top Boost better.

Thanks for the help and any suggestions.