Who else thinks the silverface screws were better?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6stringgrind

Reaction score
The old screws were much bigger, sturdier, and easier to turn. Why'd they switch to smaller ones? I love the old ones. I've actually had problems with the newer ones bending. Opinions?

+1

Although tbh both can be difficult to turn without moving either the gain or the volume....I switched to using a screwdriver :D

JKD said:
+1

Although tbh both can be difficult to turn without moving either the gain or the volume....I switched to using a screwdriver :D

You know, I have been thinking about doing just that!

+1 on the old screws. If you use a screwdriver, DON'T over tighten! It's only a 4-40 screw thread. All the best! Pat L.

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread.

I too prefer the larger ones - seem to be easier to undo for man-size fingers.

As time goes on and with Randall dropping the line , knowing where spares can be got will become more and more important.

Maybe we should have a sticky in the DIY section for such things.

I did find a link to the thumbscrews here on the forum for which I am grateful , and they seem hard to find any at all on the web.
I'm praying that they will be what I'm hoping for

Here is the link again
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Knurled-Slotted-Diameter-Height/dp/B001OAHO36

Stainless Steel Panel Screw, Knurled Head, Slotted Drive, #4-40, 5/16" Head Diameter, 5/16" Head Height, 9/16" Length (Pack of 10)

41oDFwsWZGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just ordered some of these, too. I'm pretty sure that they will work, given that some of the other forum users have ordered and used these very same ones. I'll follow up as soon as I get mine and try to include some pics :)

6stringgrind said:
The old screws were much bigger, sturdier, and easier to turn. Why'd they switch to smaller ones? I love the old ones. I've actually had problems with the newer ones bending. Opinions?
How about some of Bigbrewtus's .38 special ones?
Thumb2.jpg

thumb4.jpg
thumb3-1.jpg

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=13113

6stringgrind said:

Stainless steel is about 10X the cost of steel. I could literally buy about a gross (144) of the steel thumbscrews for the price that I paid for 10 pcs of the Stainless screws.

Daryl said:
6stringgrind said:
How about some of Bigbrewtus's .38 special ones?
Thumb2.jpg

thumb4.jpg
thumb3-1.jpg

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=13113
Thanks for the ad Daryl! :wink:
I use the stainless steel ones for these. I order them from
Amazon too. :D