Why does everyone seem to diss the Recto module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
I had it dialed in killer today.

Gain - 2 o'clock
Bass - 12 o'clock
Mid - 11:30 o'clock
Treble 1 to 2 o'clock (taste)
Level - 10 o'clock
Bright On

Modded with a brown looking 0.001uf cap. Ruby 12ax7c in v1 and JJ ECC83s in v2.

KT77s at 32, Master on 2 o'clock into my Hotplate at -8db thru to Mesa Recto 2x12 v30s. I can't recall the tube in v1 of the head...might be an RCA NOS Long blackplate ax7

Boosted with Keeley SD-1 - Level 12 o'clock, Tone 12 o'clock, Drive off.

Absolutely nailed the tone coming out my '94 Dual Rectifier.....Metallica Black Album tone for days :D

I sold this module on eBay yesterday...WAAAAHHHH :cry:

i had both and got a chance to a/b them. The E-rect has a smoother/more organic type of gain and can be cranked up to much higher levels without getting muddy, the recto still does have plenty gain but one has to watch out the gain knob a little more closely. The mids cut thru much better with the E-rect too. Both sing when cranked, like true rectifiers, but the e-rect can also sound darn good when the volume's down.
Both sound great but i have to say that the e-rect takes it up a whole notch ahead.

I have to say that the recto module does sound badass with mesa cabs. Didn't sound nearly as good with my genz benz by some reason.

I concur. I quite like my R1, R2, R3, C3 .001u modded Recto module. Mine came with EH12AX7's and I've left'em in there. I use settings very similar to yours.

I wonder if most people who hate the Recto module are using a .0047u C3 cap?

well to be honest as a high gain module the treadplate/recto module sucks the big pooper.
if you lower the gain it sounds great. i use it exclusively for rock tones.
i've seemed to notice that most people on this message board are mainly into high gain sounds, and the recto certainly doesn't cut it for metal, which is why you see so many horrible reviews. if you tone it down and use it for something different you can get some really unique, and great tones out of it.

hell mine's not even modded!! completely stock!! and i love it!!

I dig it for metal. I usually run the gain around 12:00 to 1:30 and often stick a TS-9 out front with drive on 0 and level at 3:00.

Chad said:
I dig it for metal. I usually run the gain around 12:00 to 1:30 and often stick a TS-9 out front with drive on 0 and level at 3:00.

+1 In fact that's pretty much how I ran my original Dual Rectifiers also (SD-1..but that's essentially the same thing)

JKD said:
Chad said:

+1 In fact that's pretty much how I ran my original Dual Rectifiers also (SD-1..but that's essentially the same thing)

I disagree. I think the SD-1 tends to sound more "fake" (at least when the gain is higher than "0"), and there is more of a mid hump in the TS-9. They're both awesome pedals though.

chesterburmingham said:
well to be honest as a high gain module the treadplate/recto module sucks the big pooper.
i've seemed to notice that most people on this message board are mainly into high gain sounds, and the recto certainly doesn't cut it for metal, which is why you see so many horrible reviews. if you tone it down and use it for something different you can get some really unique, and great tones out of it.

You'd probably love the grail mod. do a search on the board for details, I bet you'd use yours for high gain then. Also look for my thread where I posted clips of a modded one.

Pete

i just modded mine with the 0.001 cap anyone up for trades. i just can't seem to get into it

okstrat said:
chesterburmingham said:

You'd probably love the grail mod. do a search on the board for details, I bet you'd use yours for high gain then. Also look for my thread where I posted clips of a modded one.

Pete

i've actually played the grail module during it's very brief time at the music shop i bought my amp from
i loved it!!!
if i had the cash i would have walked out the door with it that day, but i just couldn't justify spending the money...

chesterburmingham said:
i've actually played the grail module during it's very brief time at the music shop i bought my amp from
i loved it!!!
if i had the cash i would have walked out the door with it that day, but i just couldn't justify spending the money...

I think you may misunderstand. If you have a Recto module, you can mod into pretty much into a Grail with a few $ of components and some patience with a soldering iron!

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2161

JKD said:
chesterburmingham said:
i loved it!!!

I think you may misunderstand. If you have a Recto module, you can mod into pretty much into a Grail with a few $ of components and some patience with a soldering iron!

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2161

+a billion

what do i need to mod my recto into a grail? i just did the cap mod, switched from 0.0047 to 0.001 c3 cap and now i have no bass at all. i like the grail clips from what i've heard. but i hate this recto module it just has a flat tone. should i put the 0.0022 c3 cap in it? some body help me out please. i'm willing to pay someone to mod my recto into a grail if anyone can do it. let me know because i refuse to beleive that something modeled after a mesa would not sound good espesially if its bruce's design

Maximus1, talk to okstrat about tweaking your mods. He has a bit of a business going on with it. He has a couple threads advertising/hilighting his work (and sound clips too).

Thomas