Wrong ohmage => crap tone!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0jo

Reaction score
Wow, yesterday at bandpractice my amp sounded like crap all evening .. at some point I had had it and started inspecting the whole rig .. turned out my poweramp was set to 4 ohms instead of 8...
So I switched that to 8 ohms ... perfect tone.

Now I've heard that wrong ohmage will affect your tone, but has anybody else experienced such a great difference? I wasn't expecting this.
It was really as if I was playing with very old tubes and suddenly flipped to brand spanking new ones..

Maybe it was a case of placebo effect, but the amp definitly felt and sounded much, much better to me.
Has anybody else had a similar experience?

I wasn't aware that this would happen. I just knew that it's bad to run at higher ohms than the cab.
And divide ohms on amp by 2 if running with 2 cabs.
I can't say I've tried running at a lower ohmage like you.
I think I heard someone say it gives more power to the speakers or something, but I don't understand it properly. I'm no expert on this stuff.

It's fine, these amps are over designed to handle mis matching like such, but if you wen't double either way, then i'd worry a bit. You probably did have worse tone. Smell your amp/transformer as close as possible. If it has damaged it it'll definitely smell burnt/smokey.

It just means your tubes weren't pulling the same voltage and producing the same sound.

I know, I'm not afraid that it would've broken anything.

But I was very surprised about the effect on the tone. Maybe my definition as "crap" is wrong, but it was definitly different.
It seemed less defined, muddyer, it's hard to explain now, but the feel was also definitly different.