X module or JXH?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feedback on the new X/JXH/EG5 module:

I paired the VX up with the new EG5 module and opened the amp up a little meaning the MV was dimed The VX module is a brighter module as is the EG5, so they seem to pair up better that the VX/SL2 I had in there before. The EG5 module sounds pretty dang nice. It's has less of that Marshall looseness and low mid whomp, but it has more gain, more deep low end and a tighter OD pattern as well as its quite a bit brighter overall than the SL2. The module really has too much gain for my needs, so I set the gain on the A channel to around 9 and the gain the B channel just under noon. Playing dropped D stuff on the B channel is just great.

Setting the VX and EG5 modules like this gives me a very linear, articulate four step graduated gain scale starting with pristine clean and ending with a fairly punishing modern level of gain. I think I am going to leave it setup just like it is and gig it this weekend like that to see how it sounds in the mix.

Cut to today:

Man, this was by far the best gig I've had with the Mod50 to date and potentially the best tones I've ever had on a gig. The combo of the VX and EG5 sat really well in the mix. The VX ChA cleans were super chimey and cut very well with the right amount of low end and mids. The VX ChB OD was just right for lightly distorted stuff, but the the thing that kind of blew me away was how the EG5 sat in the mix.

I thought the EG5 was a little too tight and aggressive sounding on its own, but in the context of a full band, it sounded great. Just carved itself a nice spot between the bass and other guitar player and felt great to play. I had the gains well under noon and it gave me plenty of gain to hit the heavier stuff. I dialed ChA in as my rhythm tone and left ChB for over the top rhythm and leads.

I can't remember a time when I felt as good about my tones on stage as I did today. I'm glad I gave the EG5 a day in court, because it represented well.

jarrett said:
Feedback on the new X/JXH/EG5 module:

I paired the VX up with the new EG5 module and opened the amp up a little meaning the MV was dimed The VX module is a brighter module as is the EG5, so they seem to pair up better that the VX/SL2 I had in there before. The EG5 module sounds pretty dang nice. It's has less of that Marshall looseness and low mid whomp, but it has more gain, more deep low end and a tighter OD pattern as well as its quite a bit brighter overall than the SL2. The module really has too much gain for my needs, so I set the gain on the A channel to around 9 and the gain the B channel just under noon. Playing dropped D stuff on the B channel is just great.

Setting the VX and EG5 modules like this gives me a very linear, articulate four step graduated gain scale starting with pristine clean and ending with a fairly punishing modern level of gain. I think I am going to leave it setup just like it is and gig it this weekend like that to see how it sounds in the mix.

Cut to today:

Man, this was by far the best gig I've had with the Mod50 to date and potentially the best tones I've ever had on a gig. The combo of the VX and EG5 sat really well in the mix. The VX ChA cleans were super chimey and cut very well with the right amount of low end and mids. The VX ChB OD was just right for lightly distorted stuff, but the the thing that kind of blew me away was how the EG5 sat in the mix.

I thought the EG5 was a little too tight and aggressive sounding on its own, but in the context of a full band, it sounded great. Just carved itself a nice spot between the bass and other guitar player and felt great to play. I had the gains well under noon and it gave me plenty of gain to hit the heavier stuff. I dialed ChA in as my rhythm tone and left ChB for over the top rhythm and leads.

I can't remember a time when I felt as good about my tones on stage as I did today. I'm glad I gave the EG5 a day in court, because it represented well.
That's awesome Jarret,I've been thinking of modding my MHG to the X specs to give it a go,glad the MOD is comin around for you! :D

Just what I wanted to hear! Cuts in the mix...that was my only desire. How does it sound a low volumes to you?

hilly1212 said:
Just what I wanted to hear! Cuts in the mix...that was my only desire. How does it sound a low volumes to you?

I haven't played it too much at lower volumes really. It seems like the times that I did it sounded nice as well, but I really don't start paying attention to how an amp sounds until it gets over noon on the MV. That's seems to be when it really starts to breathe and do its thang. But in generally the MV and channel volumes on the Mod50 seem to work really well. Better than most I can remember, very smooth and linear.