Your Power tube of choice???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Power Tube

• EL34

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6L6

• KT88/6550

• KT66

• KT77

• Total voters

yngzaklynch

Reaction score
Be specific as far as brand and where your set the bias. Also tell us what type of music you play or artists you are a fane of. I'm gonna get new power tubes as I'm not digging the JJ6L6s in my RM100KH. I compared my amp to my buddies Eggie preamp in a VHT power amp with 6550s and his set up sounding way better. I'm thinking the power tubes are part of the reason.

I like the tone of the EL34's, but since I've had absolute crap luck with them, I'm running 6L6-GE clear tops right now. I've been wanting to try 6550s, but the cost.... I need to find enough money to get a matched pair so I can buy the remainder of the matched quad Svetlanas (1994) to make at least a semi-matched quad.

but the 6L6-GE's are working and sound good enough. I'm down to the "does it work?" Y/N if Y = no problem.... N = did you mess with it => y/n: y = you dumb schmuck. n = no problem, and so forth.

I'm running two Randall MTS amps, usually at the same time:
RM100 head: JJ E34L and JJ KT77 mix quad
RM50 combo: TAD 6L6- awesome tubes for big wide Marshally open crunch, with lots of nice mids crunch.

tung said:
I'm running two Randall MTS amps, usually at the same time:
RM100 head: JJ E34L and JJ KT77 mix quad
RM50 combo: TAD 6L6- awesome tubes for big wide Marshally open crunch, with lots of nice mids crunch.
+1000 on the TADs

found some old Sovtek 6L6WXTs and tried them ..Much fatter and punchier than the stockk JJs that came with the amp.

tung said:
Bewitagos1 said:
maximus1 said:
jj kt-88 biased at 50 ma

how long have you been running them that hot?

He has to change his tubes once every 3 days, hahha
Seriously, I'm curious how long they last at 50 ma too.

:lol: the only reason I ask is that maybe some tubes can survive the higher setting where others fail. Sure wish there was a way to test drive the various tubes out there to determine what "we" like best, short of the buyin and tryin method. What we need is a Traveling Tube salesman, but just the sound of that conjurs weird mental images of a b rated poro movie that best be saved for another time and venue.

Jimmie

I run a mix of Svetlana El34s and SED winged C 6L6GCs. Can't remember the exact bias setting but it is slighly above the bottom of the range in the manual for each tube type.

uh kt-88 bias at 50 ma at the lowest usually, i thought anyway, let me check my manual though to be sure

my Marshall tones are great with the EL34s and my Fenders are goog..but not great with 6L6s.
Im using whatever brand Randall put in my Rt 2/50. Bias is within normal limits acc to Randall's literature.
I think I get an accurrate Marshall tone, but my Fender and Vox tones have never been all that accurrate.
Anybody know why that is????

Marshall tones are very accurate (I've owned two Marshall amps) with the EL34s, but due to the properties of the 6L6s don't translate that well with those. However, if you're willing to make the jump to more of a Soldano tonal flavor you'll be happy with the 6L6s.

The Fender Deluxe is more accurate with the 6L6s.

I'm quite happy with my tonal spectrum between my Lynch Box and the six modules, and my 5150 II. Whether they're perfectly accurate for some of the amps is another matter. If you're going by live sound that's one thing, but if you're comparing against studio sound it ain't happening because so much is done in the studio that doesn't get stated. They use Sonic Maximizers, and all sorts of other gear in most major studios. If you've got $100,000 you can probably get those tones in a recorded situation.