Zakk Wylde tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jays23

Reaction score
Hello,
can someone can help me to find a module that get closer to Ozzy Osbourne and Black Label Society tone.

I think the SL+ will do the job but i'm not sure

Thanks

I love Zakk!
The SL+ is in the ballpark, but upgrading with the 800 modification makes it pure Wylde....I use the Zakk strings and od pedal as well 8)

Once the mod is in, the pedal isn't real necessary, as it has plenty of gain, but I like to set the pedal to the Zakk settings, minimal gain, tone 11:30
Put this with a Pete modded SL+ and you'll be in business

Don't know about how to get his actual tone, but i know the Zakk Wylde pedal is a monster! When I used to run a RH300 G3, I always ran that overdrive in front of the onboard distortion! :twisted:

That pedal is based off the yellow Boss pedal- superdrive? Yeah, it gives that extra edge.

The strings are a must, as well as the Les Paul scale. I used to knock myself out trying to play No More Tears on my Ibanez using 9s! I switched to an LP with 10-60 and -voila!- low string pinch harmonic city :D

I can get similar Zakk tone with Egnater SL++ on it's own or Randall Brown with Boost. Probably best to note that Zakk has a lot of mids in his sound. Also adding a slight chorus to your tone is the icing on the cake for getting that Zakk vibe. I can get close with my either of my PRS's (Custom 22 or McCarty) and without the use of active pickups. It usually comes down to the Eq-ing of the amp.
Cheers

emg's are essential for that sound.

emg's
sl+ (possibly a boost in front of the pre)
6550 power tubes
EV speakers

turn it up loud.

Smokey said:
I can get similar Zakk tone with Egnater SL++ on it's own or Randall Brown with Boost. Probably best to note that Zakk has a lot of mids in his sound. Also adding a slight chorus to your tone is the icing on the cake for getting that Zakk vibe. I can get close with my either of my PRS's (Custom 22 or McCarty) and without the use of active pickups. It usually comes down to the Eq-ing of the amp.
Cheers

never tried the SL++
I'm surprised at the Brown comment- I don't hear it, maybe it's my modification
The slight chorus is an illusion, as Zakk's tone is dry- but he multitracks so much that it gives the chorus effect....Live is also dry (with another guitarist) for his main crunch

crankyrayhanky said:
Smokey said:
Cheers

never tried the SL++
The slight chorus is an illusion, as Zakk's tone is dry- but he multitracks so much that it gives the chorus effect....Live is also dry (with another guitarist) for his main crunch

My Brown is modded a bit, and then I boosted the hell out of it. You can get close without active pickups, not exact but close. Zakk's rig has been the same for years. Every site you look up states his rig as being Overdrive, Chorus, Rotovibe and Wah.
http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/gear/zwboard1.jpg
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/284/
http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/gear/nick/nicksgear.jpg
If you watch the DVD of Ozzy at the Budoken, within the first few notes you can tell that he's running chorus and it's only one guitar at that gig. But I do know what you mean about the doubletracking.
Cheers

Smokey said:
If you watch the DVD of Ozzy at the Budoken, within the first few notes you can tell that he's running chorus and it's only one guitar at that gig.

Interesting...I was going off a BLS performance, but I guess being alone in Ozzy, Zakk may need more chorus

crankyrayhanky said:
Smokey said:
If you watch the DVD of Ozzy at the Budoken, within the first few notes you can tell that he's running chorus and it's only one guitar at that gig.

Interesting...I was going off a BLS performance, but I guess being alone in Ozzy, Zakk may need more chorus
Now I'm with you now. I've listened to more Ozzy and Pride and Glory than Black Label. There is chorus all over his Ozzy stuff. Listen to Desire, Miracle Man or No More Tears. Probably doesn't use it as much with Black Label, or it may get lost in the lower tunings. Cheers

The EVM12 speakers are a big part of his sound also. Strange how speakers are seldom discussed as important. The speakers you use have way more effect on your sound than tubes, pickups etc...... You would be surprised at how radically different EVM speakers sound. I personally am not a fan of Zacks tone but I do like the EVM speakers for certain things.

I'm seriously thinking to find a sl+ mod jcm 800. Is someone want toletit goone. I'm very interested.

And does the wylde overdrive is a must ?

Thanks

crankyrayhanky said:
Smokey said:
Cheers

never tried the SL++

Heard it from the man himself, his and Nick's chorus pedals are on 24/7. They never shut them off. It is just set for a VERY minimal effect. You gotta have chorus to get his sound, it's a must. And when you hear him using a heavy chorus type effect it is his Rotovibe turned on. His marshall settings are pretty much bass, pres and gain maxed, treble around 6 and his mids are pretty low around 3 or 4 (JCM800's are pretty mid heavy even with the mids turned down.)