11 module shootout available now on Page 4 of this thread

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

Ear fatigue is gonna push me toward insanity if I continue...Mojo solved a big problem for me - thanks man...What else?? A lot of modules are dialed in similarly (obviously everyone is going after "their" sound) so it sounds a bit deceiving as though many modules sound the same...I painstakingly dial in these settings as like tones make perfect stereo pairs...Therefore a Marshall on the left is complimented by a SLO on the right...Similar tones work best and the differences make the track thick...Guess I'll fiddle a bit with each...

That is all...

Mattfig said:
Update:

Ear fatigue is gonna push me toward insanity if I continue...Mojo solved a big problem for me - thanks man...What else?? A lot of modules are dialed in similarly (obviously everyone is going after "their" sound) so it sounds a bit deceiving as though many modules sound the same...I painstakingly dial in these settings as like tones make perfect stereo pairs...Therefore a Marshall on the left is complimented by a SLO on the right...Similar tones work best and the differences make the track thick...Guess I'll fiddle a bit with each...

That is all...
If you're suffering from ear fatigue: you should've quit half an hour ago :)
Are you mixing modules on each track?
If you are it might be the most handy to pan them hard right and hard left so we can sweep left and right to compare the sounds ;)

So how many are you up to now? 1/10th? :lol:

m0jo said:
Mattfig said:
Update:

That is all...
If you are it might be the most handy to pan them hard right and hard left so we can sweep left and right to compare the sounds ;)

Nope...Definitely not mixing tracks...All solo...I'm just sayin' I have each module dialed in for what I need it to do...Many serve a similar purpose...Therefore, for example, my Mashall sounds similar to the Salvado which sounds similar to the igmods KH-3...They are all different...But I like 'em similar for my needs...Ya know? Like I said, I'll fiddle with each and show 'em all off well...

Edited to add: I haven't finished 1/10 yet...Sadly, nothing sounded right today + I had that RM4 issue...Got everything ready to go...Just wondering if I should wait for the Mark Series...It should be within the week if all goes well...Just because that's where all the leads are gonna be coming from...For my needs...

Mattfig said:
m0jo said:
Mattfig said:
Update:

That is all...

Nope...Definitely not mixing tracks...All solo...I'm just sayin' I have each module dialed in for what I need it to do...Many serve a similar purpose...Therefore, for example, my Mashall sounds similar to the Salvado which sounds similar to the igmods KH-3...They are all different...But I like 'em similar for my needs...Ya know? Like I said, I'll fiddle with each and show 'em all off well...
Ah okay I get what you mean!

But that's perfect, because that shows very well how 2 modules for instance do a certain sound.
I think for the Salvado and Mash-all it's not really "which is better?" but more "what's the difference?" so you can choose according to what you need in such a module.

OK, I'm now convinced someone sent me some bad juju this weekend or something...Between unexplained gear dropouts, extra noise present in recordings (sounds like someone whispering "you suck" - It's quite spooky), and my lack of liking my tone(s) right now - the clip will have to be pushed back a day or three...Sorry...It's still coming, I promise...Just not on time, story of my life :)

No worries,mate.
I think you are experiencing a very valid situation:
Just exactlyly who do i do this recording? And thats why there are audio engineers..its actually a complex job that requires an expert.
But we here, at MTS, would probably be happy with anything. I knwo I would.
But I do implore you to record an exactly passage and play it thru the modules. If you reamp it, or find another way to send the module a true exact reproducible recording..I think you will have accomplished more than anyone else here.
I mean it.
Other wise, although it may be easier to just loose the focus of comparing these modules...it just doesnt accomplish much , except yourself.
and if thats the goal...why record and post the clips at all?

But I think a true shootout is waaaayyyyyyy overdue.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
But I do implore you to record an exactly passage and play it thru the modules. If you reamp it, or find another way to send the module a true exact reproducible recording..I think you will have accomplished more than anyone else here.
This has actually been discussed earlier on.
I disagree on this, especially since playing back a recording through an amp does not sound like it would when somebody is playing it..

m0jo said:
- some low riffing (as in near the nut, no need for downtuning IMO)

I disagree on this

Alot of people play in lower tuning, but let's face it: not every amp can cope with low frequencies as well

and hearing which modules can handle it without going flubby/farty/muddy would give a good general view

I am totally looking forward to hearing the results. I don't care how long it takes you to get it to where you want it. It just shows that your are taking efforts to make it something worthwhile. I agree with eedude when he says that it would be nice to hear some power chords, some lower register riffing, and some leadwork. I think that would really get the range and usablility of these modules framed up nicely. Just dial them up to where they sound best and reveal the goodness that these juicy little devices are hiding. Few people have as kick *** a collection as you do. You are doing us all a service. We should be paying you for it.:lol: Fig it up, mother-figger. :twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Nightdare said:
m0jo said:

I disagree on this

Alot of people play in lower tuning, but let's face it: not every amp can cope with low frequencies as well

and hearing which modules can handle it without going flubby/farty/muddy would give a good general view

Trust me the amp can handle it. I've used Drop C with Grail w/ no issue. A lot of it is the speakers.

I agree with Julia on this one for sure. The speakers are ultimately responsible for translating the signal into sound. Some speakers lack the range that others have while some accentuate(even exaggerate) certain frequencies. The right speakers for the sound you are looking for should not be overlooked IMHO. Also the cab that you are using can affect the sound as well. Most people use a good ol' closed-back 4x12 cab and those tend to have all the tight bass response you need. Mixing speakers in cab works good too. When I played in a band in Denver, CO, I used a Soldano cab with 2 Eminence Legend GB12's on the bottom(for the bass response characteristics) and 2 Eminence Legend 125's on top(for their mids/highs). From my experience, I find that it is possible to scoop too many mids out of a detuned sound and the result is a flat tone that muds out at higher volume and doesn't cut through the mix. A heavily scooped sound is cool when you are playing by yourself at lower volume, but it loses something in the translation when you are playing with a drummer and bass player. It is surprising what turning up the mids can do for a detuned guitar sound. It's still heavy as fuq,(the detuning makes that happen) but it cuts and has depth to it. Make sure you have enough highs in there as well to give it that crisp quality. So I guess what I'm driving at is: Make sure you have good quality speakers, make the proper EQ adjustments for the speakers/cab you are using and detuning is not a problem.
I think we should be patient and wait for Fig to present his work and then we can constructively make our comments, observations and suggestions. The guy has a lot of cool stuff to demonstrate and I would like to hear what he cooks up. Peace.

^^agreed
However some mods lend itself to detuning applications better
1666 is a great choice...I guess most modded modern hi gainers work well, especially with tight bass caps. My gigmods SL+ set to tight is awesome on drop A, plenty of mids there!

but you can also use graphic EQs and high and low pass filters to tighten things. With guitar if you read the Slipperman, below 50 Hz is a "don't go there, ever" region. In fact run the high pass at 100 Hz. That will tighten up the bottom, and remember that most guitar speakers start rolling off at 85 Hz and the roll off is pretty steep anyway. If you push the speakers past that you'll get mud from them.

A module like the Grail I find is a good one if you want a real tight rhythm. Mr. Scary I prefer for leads because the bass is looser on that module and it sings a lot better than the Grail.

I don't like playing a guitar below drop C because the scale length isn't suitable. It'll start sounding flabby. If you're going to be playing drop A get a baritone or a 7 string with a scale length longer than 25.75". Below that is bass territory.

Also turn down your gain when you record. You don't need as much as you think. If it sounds thin, record another track note for note to play with it. Many recordings of bands with two guitarists will have a half dozen guitar tracks or more.

Just for good measure...My post about withholding the video in the classfieds is a joke...The video is neither finished or spectacular....But it's almost there...And no, the 1666 module doesn't have to sell first.... :twisted: But I ain't gonna lie, it sure wouldn't hurt!

Julia said:
Nightdare said:
m0jo said:

I disagree on this

Trust me the amp can handle it. I've used Drop C with Grail w/ no issue. A lot of it is the speakers.

Yeah and when I was demoing and tweaking the Dragon module I was using Drop A# :lol:

Daryl said:
It is surprising what turning up the mids can do for a detuned guitar sound. It's still heavy as fuq,(the detuning makes that happen) but it cuts and has depth to it.

Ditto on this. I generally play tuned E flat & on occassion will drop the low E string to D flat, it is amazing how heavy that sounds. One day I will play in standard tuning with the drop D (need another guitar :lol: ). I imagine it will still sound pretty heavy.

Alright....The stupid **** is done...And I made some major mistakes....I left my narrative mic on during recording which bled tremendously into the mix as it was hotter than all other signals for no good reason...I meant to turn it off as I played...I didn't....SO it sounds like a good mic mixed with a shitty mic 'cause that's how it ended up...

I used a Waterstone Carnaby (Semi-Hollybody w/Lollar P90s), an American Fender Strat, a Waterstone WWAS (solidbody with standard humbuckers - Dimarzio methinks), and an LTD ESP EC-1000 Deluxe....

It's 22 minutes and then some...It's a lot of errors but hopefully you'll get the main idea of each module...The whole point is that I like to dial them in close to one another and mix the tones in recording...Maybe this wasn't the best format to do it in...

Here's what I'll do....Give me all your suggesions, I'll get a REAL video together and do what you want....What I won't do is play a loop thru different modules 'cause that sounded really weird...I should have my SUper Mark Series from Gigmods soon too so I'll include that...

In the meantime, enjoy....The link is forthcoming as soon as youtube accepts it....

Latest posts