5150iii module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayd41

Reaction score
Who here besides myself would be interested in a dedicated 5153 module?
I know that Salvation says that their S1S0 gets close with all the switches engaged, but I am talking about a module designed specifically to be as close as possible to the 5153.
To my ears, there is significant difference from the previous 5150 amps. The clarity and string separation is top notch. All three channels offer a unique voice.
Maybe that would be too much to pack into one module as it sounds like each channel has a different tone stack, but maybe I'm wrong.
I for one would love to see this available and I am wondering if anyone else would be interested in it?

jayd41 said:
Who here besides myself would be interested in a dedicated 5153 module?
I know that Salvation says that their S1S0 gets close with all the switches engaged, but I am talking about a module designed specifically to be as close as possible to the 5153.
To my ears, there is significant difference from the previous 5150 amps. The clarity and string separation is top notch. All three channels offer a unique voice.
Maybe that would be too much to pack into one module as it sounds like each channel has a different tone stack, but maybe I'm wrong.
I for one would love to see this available and I am wondering if anyone else would be interested in it?

I would love that!

I never played an actua; 5153, but my S1S0's toggles yield drastically different tones, based on clips, I think it delivers. The versatile S1S0 was responsible for many of my great modded module flips

Harvester1199 said:
thast sound has alot to do with the power amp, i think the closest we can get is the S1S0
I thought the power section looked pretty straightforward. Maybe I missed something but the only real difference I saw in the power amp was running the tubes at a more reasonable bias.

Yes, S1S0 module with Switch I/II in "II" position and "FIRE" on is 5150 III.
I have nice memory with comparing:we compared S1SO module with Wolf Hoffman (Accept) and his white 5150 III.Wolf was amazed how much close it is.
So, subtle difference between RM100 with S1S0 module and real Fender 5150 III is in power amp.

Wolf is very picky about his amps, and this white 5150 is on of his really favourite amps for tight and clear higain.
277.jpg

(sorry for bad iPhone photo, it is from actual comparison)

Anyway, if you think you need only 5150 III module, I can remove the switches and hardwire module to 5150 III position...

I think what the OP (from my interpretation) was talking about what having a module that can recreate the 3 channels of the 5153, not just the super high-gain channel 3. The 5153 was the only other tube amp I've owned besides the MTS stuff, and I actually *really* liked it for it's flexibility and 3 usable channels (IMO). Channel 1 could go from clean to a nice crunchy plexi; channel 2 could get you a great hot-rodded Marshall tone, and sounded incredible with a boost in front; and channel 3 could get you a thicker, heavier, more compressed kind of tone.

I agree with the OP that that would make for an incredible module, if those 3 channels could somehow be packed into a single module. Maybe the S1S0 can do that - I haven't been fortunate enough to try one. I would certainly be looking at purchasing one if it could.

On a side note, what did you think of the Wizard, Anthony? I made a thread a couple days ago about the possibility/viability of boutique amp builder mods, and the Wizard would fit in that category, in my thinking. I know it's a Marshall flavored tone, but those amps are big money, and I would love to try one. Could the tones from a Wizard be matched by one of your other modules, you think?

So you want to pack an entire amp into one module??

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this is probably impossible. There's a reason clean mods can't be done on gain modules and the other way around. The gain structure is so dramatically different that it can't be done in such a small space.

But the 2 gain channels are probably doable, Anthony can comment on that the best. ;)

So, Joris, you can see how highly we think of Anthony that someone could even pose the question of packing an entire amp into one module, right? ;) Seriously, though, if I saw Anthony released a module that had a knob that could switch to select any of 10 different modules in that one module, I wouldn't be surprised (as I would be quickly ordering one hehe).

I am not the OP, but I would personally be interested in a module that could replicate channels 1 & 2 of the 5153, as the 3rd channel wasn't really my thing (though it sounded great). But I think there are other modules out there that could get me that right now, since the first 2 channels are essentially clean->hot plexi->hot jcm800

m0jo said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this is probably impossible. There's a reason clean mods can't be done on gain modules and the other way around. The gain structure is so dramatically different that it can't be done in such a small space.

But the 2 gain channels are probably doable, Anthony can comment on that the best. ;)

rhequiem said:
So, Joris, you can see how highly we think of Anthony that someone could even pose the question of packing an entire amp into one module, right? ;) Seriously, though, if I saw Anthony released a module that had a knob that could switch to select any of 10 different modules in that one module, I wouldn't be surprised (as I would be quickly ordering one hehe).

I am not the OP, but I would personally be interested in a module that could replicate channels 1 & 2 of the 5153, as the 3rd channel wasn't really my thing (though it sounded great). But I think there are other modules out there that could get me that right now, since the first 2 channels are essentially clean->hot plexi->hot jcm800

m0jo said:

Joris is right.
You know, 5150 III (fender) has three separate - independent circuit. Each circuit for each channel. It is not possible to build them all in one circuit .I can do it on Soldano, Engl, VHT..because their channels often share one circuit.
My strategy is not: "I?ll put gain-cut resistor on lead channel and voila: I have crunch or "vintage" channel.
I always want to be as close as possible to real amp.
And Channels on 5150 III (as well as crunch and lead on 5150 II)are quite different. It is not possible to built them into one module.

Of course, my S1SO covers only higain 3rd channel from it. But I am sure it is the most wanted and most popular channel.

Anthony

edit: I can build module with Crunch channel only, it is not problem.
But problem is to combine them with no compromises.

Understood, Anthony. This actually wasn't my request - I was just attempting to decipher the OP's original request. He could have just been wondering what module could get a channel 3 tone from the 5153, I'm not 100% sure. I loved the second channel of that amp. I think a module based on that tone, but with a little more gain/boost available would be awesome!

Crazy idea but wouldn't the Shiver Facelift with a little tweaking get into that territory?
Of course that depends a bit on what you like about that channel. ;)

I haven't tried a Shiver (always wanted to though!). I liked how "brown" that channel got. I'd love to have a module that did that tone fairly authentically. I know there is a Brown stock module (which I did try with my first MTS rig, and liked), but I think it would be a cool to have a module based around that tone, but with some options... Hmmmm! Sorry OP, kinda taking this somewhere else hehe