7 MTS METAL TONES ON YOUTUBE IN HD

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hum, my Ultra with the gain at the same setting as yours is more like a heavy crunch... I'll try borrowing a boost pedal from someone and see what difference that makes. Interesting.

Turning it (the amp) up would probably help but, living in an apartment building, I'll have to wait until band practice over the weekend to really test it out. Must buy a house...

Thanks for this vid, it's given me lots of things to think about!

If you run the gain at 9:00 without a screamer in front it won't even be close to the sound I recorded. Get an overdrive pedal turn the volume all the way up and the gain all off and then you will be there. The pedal pushes the ultra to about 12:00 gain at a 9:00 setting. The level I recorded these at wasn't loud at all. Module levels are about 9:30 and amp level was about the same.

Slashpepper said:
Listening to this I may also have to mod my Ultra into an Ultra XL...

I had a Gigmods Ultra XL. Killer heavy module. I suggest you go ahead and get that thing modded.

wicked cool vid,the tone from the grail was just insane,i have yet to get that tone,but i haven't ran any thing but guitar into amp,thanks for insight to a cooler rig,and i have a rm100,anybody know how to fix the tag under yer' name?

poisonelvis said:
wicked cool vid,the tone from the grail was just insane,i have yet to get that tone,but i haven't ran any thing but guitar into amp,thanks for insight to a cooler rig

The Grail is my favorite module. Get an overdrive you like and never turn it off. Both guys in devildriver used the Mr.Scary primarily then Mike switched to the Grail and they ran the Maxon OD808 in front and never turned it off.

schlagdog said:
poisonelvis said:
wicked cool vid,the tone from the grail was just insane,i have yet to get that tone,but i haven't ran any thing but guitar into amp,thanks for insight to a cooler rig

The Grail is my favorite module. Get an overdrive you like and never turn it off. Both guys in devildriver used the Mr.Scary primarily then Mike switched to the Grail and they ran the Maxon OD808 in front and never turned it off.

I agree....While the Grail is not my fave, it sounds excellent with an OD boost and a little EQ...Sounds huge....Maybe not the best true recto tone, but a great tone nonetheless...

i do have a mxr zw-44 i picked up in a trade,and never used it(my other amp is early dual rect)so now i think i'll dust it off and give er' a rip,thanks for all the tips from everyone,it's just really cool to find help(before i found this site,i was going to ebay this amp)now after checking this site out, and all the cool ****,i'm keeping this badboy!!!!

poisonelvis said:
i do have a mxr zw-44 i picked up in a trade,and never used it

That's a great pedal dude. Dust it off and you with be amazed. Zakk uses it the exact same way. He has it on in his rig and never turns it off. It's there to hit his marshalls hard. You are in luck and don have to spend anymore cash. I own a triple Rec and it sounds like **** without a screamer in front.

poisonelvis said:
i do have a mxr zw-44 i picked up in a trade,and never used it(my other amp is early dual rect)so now i think i'll dust it off and give er' a rip,thanks for all the tips from everyone,it's just really cool to find help(before i found this site,i was going to ebay this amp)now after checking this site out, and all the cool s*&t,i'm keeping this badboy!!!!

So you have never used a boost? Turn the level all the way up and the drive all the way down. You might want to back the gain down on the module just a touch. You are going to love the result!

great vid! just a note about the treble range. This could be different for the newer amps but with my RM80 the high end really shines when the presence knob is at 3:00 or more. Anywhere before that and it is like there is a blanket over the speakers.

Slashpepper said:
why can a clean boost add a clearer distortion than the tubes can? Is this an inherent difference in the way tubes vs boost pedals amplify signals?

A low pass filter removing bass makes sense to me with regards to removing mud, adding a different type of amplifier less so.

In most cases, the boost/OD pedal is also acting as a low pass filter. Either because its components simply aren't capable of handling as wide a frequency range as a guitar cable and the high and low extremities never really make it to the amp in the first place, or because the boost effect is concentrated in such a narrow band that the amp can't 'hear' the other frequencies so well. Like if you're observing a binary system where both stars have equal luminousity you should be able to see them as well as each other, but if one were to double in brightness it would likely obscure its mate, even though the lesser star is still putting out the same amount of light that was sufficient for us to see it before.

edit: A simpler analogy might be that of increasing the contrast on a document or photograph. Adding a pedal that boosts the treble or upper mids is like cranking up the contrast between the lightest and darkest parts of an image -- the bass is still there, but the other, less flubby frequencies are now the peak of the signal.

JKMV12 said:
great vid! just a note about the treble range. This could be different for the newer amps but with my RM80 the high end really shines when the presence knob is at 3:00 or more. Anywhere before that and it is like there is a blanket over the speakers.

When I am just sitting playing I have the depth and presence both at 3:00. For the recording it was way too much lowend and treble and if you record like that you will end up having to pull all that out because it will completely overwhelm your mix. The lowend is massive the way I usually keep it dialed in.

schlagdog said:
JKMV12 said:
When I am just sitting playing I have the depth and presence both at 3:00. For the recording it was way too much lowend and treble and if you record like that you will end up having to pull all that out because it will completely overwhelm your mix. The lowend is massive the way I usually keep it dialed in.
that's a good point. though to be clear i was just speaking in general...i wasn't specifically talking about your recording.

iekobrid said:
Like if you're observing a binary system where both stars have equal luminousity you should be able to see them as well as each other, but if one were to double in brightness it would likely obscure its mate, even though the lesser star is still putting out the same amount of light that was sufficient for us to see it before.

More people should use Astrophysics in analogies... Thank you.

Nice comparison vid. I liked the Grail on it's own & in the mix. Brahma and Scary were cool on there own as well, although I didn't like them as much in the mix.

Slashpepper said:
iekobrid said:
Like if you're observing a binary system where both stars have equal luminousity you should be able to see them as well as each other, but if one were to double in brightness it would likely obscure its mate, even though the lesser star is still putting out the same amount of light that was sufficient for us to see it before.

More people should use Astrophysics in analogies... Thank you.
As a student of engineering and the sciences...i concur with your statement :)

HEY GUYS. Just added a quick video of the Grail without and with the screamer boost. It's my favorite and seemed to be most people favorite also. I started a new threat but guess I can link it here also.

http://youtu.be/n-FvrhQS7s4

Any chance you could do the same video, WITHOUT the screamer and with the volumes on the modules turned up a bit higher (around 10-11:00)?

That will give a more pronounced difference between the modules.
And I just read back. Take the master volume up a teensy bit more too :D Everything closer to 10:00 will open up the sound even more and make it even more distinguishable.

I just listened to them through headphones and they all sound great :D I think I'm gonna tweak my Ultra XL closer to an Ultra as I love the sound you got from both, but I really dig the oldschool death metal grunt of the regular Ultra. I'm gonna up the gain on it a bit too, as I have a resistor in there so that when I run my gain at noon, it's the same level you had yours at :D