after the storm, here's my current rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Julia said:
and just when I thought things were getting simpler, I figured out how to triple track a rhythm using the Lynch Box, and two POD amp sims simultaneously. :shock: Add a slight modulation effect to two (different on each) of them before the amp sim. Connect my M-Audio Black Box via SPDF so I have a third channel.

Grail + Engl + Uberschall. I should get separation. If I had a fourth input I could run a clean signal for reamping.

Interesting Julia...If you had the 4th input, what would you use to properly align the dry guitar signal? Or does the Line 6 do that already? I know Wagener mentioned using some special trickery when it comes to re-amping...Just curious how you would pull it off...

But does it need to be perfectly aligned? I don't know the methods. I just use my ears. Sometimes a little misalignment sounds more human.

The human element is everything and if it sounds right to your ears, that's all that counts...I think when re-amping the idea is to get a crystal clear and dry signal...Any excess noise produced during the process will also be amplified as will any phasing anomolies and such...I tried re-amping only once and did not like it...It actually kinda took away the human element for me...

That's the beauty of recording though...

Mattfig said:
The human element is everything and if it sounds right to your ears, that's all that counts...I think when re-amping the idea is to get a crystal clear and dry signal...Any excess noise produced during the process will also be amplified as will any phasing anomolies and such...I tried re-amping only once and did not like it...It actually kinda took away the human element for me...

I've tried reamping as well and I don't like it either. Even with good impedance matching there always seems to be an element lacking. I believe it is the genuine interaction with the dynamic and harmonic qualities of the amp or amp model. I don't know about you, but when I play a different amp it makes me play a little bit different and when you reamp, it loses that "touch". Even playing my RM100 at different gain and EQ settings can have a huge effect on dynamics and feel. I do however, like overdubbing two different sounds played on two different amps. It always has that extra thickness and dimension. Sometimes when the sound isn't perfectly lined up it makes for a cool "thickening" effect. For instance, I like to mix an overdriven sound with an acoustic guitar sound. It lends a crisp, percussive attack and further enhances the harmonic range of the overdrive tone. Natural harmonics sound really thick and full.

I think I know what you mean. I play pretty much anything on the all the modules I've got except for Grail. Grail makes me just play power chords. I find it stiff and the distortion way to clear. I can be as sloppy as I want with it and it won't matter. Then again Grail is toned after the Dual Rectifier, which is probably my least favorite amp tone.

I'll be reamping soon, we can examine a few blind tracks and see if you hear a degradation

Right now I'm laying down some guitars to a click, then the big task will be getting some drums to match the tunes (my drum skills suck, so studio wizardry will be aplenty)....then finally back to guitars/bass where I'll do some tracking & possible REAMPing to optimize tones