Another Dead rm100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hijack all you want! I replaced my midi tubes and this thing DESTROYS!

Now to answer your question.... the stock tube fuses on the back are 1/4amp ( also shown as .25 amp or 250ma) 250v 20mm fuses. The midi fuses (the ones i had a problem with) are 1.6la 250v 20mm tube fuses. There are 5 more inside and if im not mistaken 3 are the same as the tube fuses (sorry, those were fine so i didnt check them) and two i dont remember. Sorry.

Couple things in no real order...

1) can't test a fuse reliably by looking at it. Put it on a multimeter and see if it has continuity.

2) Regarding Mesa reliability, I had a mesa amp that blew a HOLE in the pcb. About the size of a dime. Had to hand rewire around it. Mesa's are nice (I own two currently, a rackmount recto and a Stiletto) but they aren't as bulletproof as the ads would lead you to believe.

3) Mesa reliability part II - I have a Mesa DC 5 head that blew a bunch of parts in the power section that is going on ebay as I have no time to mess with it.

4) It's been stated by Bruce Egnater here on the board you should run .4 amp (400ma) fuses for the power tubes in the RMs, especially if you are using EL34s. EL34s will blow the 250ma's pretty quickly.

5) I ordered fuses from Mouser electronics, but haven't blown any fuses in my gear yet. Just doing the ounce of prevention/pound of cure thing.

Pete

Ha i already blew a fucking tube fuse (315ma) but had replacements. Gonna have to try some of those 400ma then because this could become tedious. Anyone know if there is a better value for the midi fuses? 1.6 is the current value.

okstrat said:
Couple things in no real order...

1) can't test a fuse reliably by looking at it. Put it on a multimeter and see if it has continuity.

2) Regarding Mesa reliability, I had a mesa amp that blew a HOLE in the pcb. About the size of a dime. Had to hand rewire around it. Mesa's are nice (I own two currently, a rackmount recto and a Stiletto) but they aren't as bulletproof as the ads would lead you to believe.

3) Mesa reliability part II - I have a Mesa DC 5 head that blew a bunch of parts in the power section that is going on ebay as I have no time to mess with it.

4) It's been stated by Bruce Egnater here on the board you should run .4 amp (400ma) fuses for the power tubes in the RMs, especially if you are using EL34s. EL34s will blow the 250ma's pretty quickly.

5) I ordered fuses from Mouser electronics, but haven't blown any fuses in my gear yet. Just doing the ounce of prevention/pound of cure thing.

Pete
I just popped a couple fuses tonite(.250)
So running the .4amp (400ma) in the tube failure places, wont wreck the amp right? I am just so sick of the .250 blowing when I am trying to bias!! :cry: