Anyone here use a Hot Plate with their rig?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then I'll throw a monkey wrench into the discussion. :) I found I didn't like the sound of the modules with the module volume level set higher than 2:00. I get more control with the gain this way. However I'm running the MV at around 2:30. Part of my tone has been power section saturation. To keep from going deaf I'm using a Hot Plate.

I found without it the sound of the amp really changes when the power section isn't allowed to saturate. to my ears power saturation warms up the tone.

This isn't just with the MTS. I use it with my 5150, Fender, and when I had them, the Marshalls.

Yes the tone changes due to the Fletcher-Munson curves with human hearing. That's what I use that EQ in the FX loop to counter.

Julia said:
Then I'll throw a monkey wrench into the discussion. :) I found I didn't like the sound of the modules with the module volume level set higher than 2:00. I get more control with the gain this way. However I'm running the MV at around 2:30. Part of my tone has been power section saturation. To keep from going deaf I'm using a Hot Plate.

I found without it the sound of the amp really changes when the power section isn't allowed to saturate. to my ears power saturation warms up the tone.

This isn't just with the MTS. I use it with my 5150, Fender, and when I had them, the Marshalls.

Yes the tone changes due to the Fletcher-Munson curves with human hearing. That's what I use that EQ in the FX loop to counter.

Hmmm...... Everyone is around the same mark with respect to running the MV higher, but not full jam. Sweet spot seems to be around the 12 - 3 area. My guitar tech actually has a hot plate he'll let me try out...so it will be interesting to see what this thing does at lower vols. I'm also looking forward to hearing the differences....if any...with changing the PI tube. Thanks gang.

Pedro

those hi gainers get to be too much when the MV is over 2oclock, but I bet the low/mid gainers like Plexi and Tweed benefit from power tube saturation

Most of my jammin is hi gain, I like the clarity between 11 & 12 oclock on MV, but now I do hear a difference on the module volumes, I need to experiment more...

I had an attenuater that was good quality built into my ampeg Lee Jacksons...at first I used them all the time to soak the power tubes, after awhile I realized I liked it off with lower volume settings- it just seemed to choke the tone a bit that offset the coolness of the power tube saturation..not sure if that applies to the hotplates

Pedro said:
tonymustang302 said:
We found that maxing out the module volume and treating it like it's not there is the key to getting a sick full tone. The more you turn the level on the module back, introduces more compression, and more of a scooped tone. Maxed out the mid's are very very usable. I'm going to keep it this way and just use my master as the volume setting.

Now this is just my opinion, this is my experience, and i was using the ultra module with higher gain tubes, and KT88's in v1/v4.

Finally im not going to sell the amp and going to stick with not boosting my amp to make it sound mean.

I think, the use of a hot plate would be a good idea, but you need to take into account that the speakers wont move like they would if you were pushing them without the hot plate. I noticed a difference using a hotlplate and not coming from that issue.

I think i high-jacked the thread.

:lol: YOu did hijack this thread! ....and thanks! This is all good info. As Hunter stated, I'd like to compare settings...I know this has been reviewed before, but we're a bunch of hi-gain, peel the paint off the wall freaks that I THINK like the same type of tonal destruction! :wink:

At first, I ran my modules full crank and used my MASTER for over all volume. Then everyone was saying...turn it into a monster by turning up the MASTER and then using the module LEVEL for the over all volume...this made it sound better. Now it's back to diming out the mod level and controling overall volume with the master. To me, it makes logical sense to drive the pre tubes to get good saturation...am I right about this? :?: ....then it also makes sense to drive the hell out of the power tubes by diming out the master. But shouldn't the pre's also be pushed? :?
I just tried maxing the modules and using the master as the overall volume. Didnt work for me so much. Had to push the gain a little more and that made the amp hiss louder. For what im looking for in tone, I think Ill keep running my amp with the master at about 1 oclock and use the module masters for volume.

crankyrayhanky said:
those hi gainers get to be too much when the MV is over 2oclock, but I bet the low/mid gainers like Plexi and Tweed benefit from power tube saturation

Most of my jammin is hi gain, I like the clarity between 11 & 12 oclock on MV, but now I do hear a difference on the module volumes, I need to experiment more...

I had an attenuater that was good quality built into my ampeg Lee Jacksons...at first I used them all the time to soak the power tubes, after awhile I realized I liked it off with lower volume settings- it just seemed to choke the tone a bit that offset the coolness of the power tube saturation..not sure if that applies to the hotplates

Yessir....key word is experiment....it's great to get so many diferrent aspects on it. Between this forum, and the amp itself, the options are amazing! :wink: ...and makes me the more happier with my purchase of this "multi-tone" gem! :D

Also running the power tubes at saturation and into distortion allows running less gain on the modules without hurting sustain. I like what I consider the better clarity of the overall sound. It's kinda more old school. It's really sweet with the JTM and Brahma modules. I like the way it works with the Grail and Mr. Scary as well, but I don't know if you'd consider either of these high gain.

I guess it depends upon what kind of distortion you like.

Julia said:
Also running the power tubes at saturation and into distortion allows running less gain on the modules without hurting sustain. I like what I consider the better clarity of the overall sound.

:wink: good point! I'll be trying all of these formulas out... I'm not a one distortion guy either :roll: and that just makes things complicated...especially when gigging! This is where the RM4 or RM12 saves the day! :D ....but $$$$$$ :shock:

Ok on my XL here's my settings...

in o'clocks
Gain: Maxed
Bass: 2:00
Mids: 1:00
Treble: 2:30
Level: Maxed

Presence: 3:00
Density: 2:00

And master i havent played with the band yet but probably somewher around 10:00 11:00
At normal room volumes it sounds muffled but gig volumes it owns.

Sounds very very midsy and cuts through the drum's, bass, other guitarist.
I learned playing live, the more mids you use the more you standout. A lot of people scoop their mids and you can barely decifer them fromt he rest.

Brahma:

Gain: dimed
Bass: noon
Mid: 1:30
Treble: 1:30
Level: 1:30

Grail & Mr Scary:

Gain: 1:00
Mid: 12:30 & 2:00

JTM:

Gain: 10 - 11:00
Mids: 1:00

Density: 11:45
Presence: 11:30

Master: 2:30 - 3:00 -- 3:00 is better and is where the amp really starts to roar. But 2:30 is where I set it.

I figure the bass guitar will take care of the bottom.

Hot Plate takes care of the over the top volume.