Anyone modify the amp itself?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonP

Reaction score
I've seen posts about using MM trannies. I'm curious about the results, like the impact of using a larger choke.

I haven't even got to try the amp yet so in no way am I saying I'm going to do this. I also realize you can change speakers and tubes to fine tune the head before breaking out the soldering iron.

But I'm just curious if some have done it and what their findings were.

Thanks!

I believe both Rob @ Jaded Faith and Trace @ Voodoo Amps do upgrades to the amps.

I checked out Jaded Faith's website and just found info on amp repairs, not really mods. I'd be interested in this as well.

RomanMtz said:
I checked out Jaded Faith's website and just found info on amp repairs, not really mods. I'd be interested in this as well.

Send Rob an email, I'm sure he will be more then happy to answer all of your questions. If you look around on the forum, there are people who have done tranny swaps before, the general opinion seems to be it isn't worth it.

I've asked him about this, and others and they basically say it's not really worth the effort and cost, especially if you have to ship your amp to get it done.

Hey man, did you search these topics at all with the search function. These topics have been covered over and over for the past six years. Theres loads of info on tubes and speaker combos. There is information on the MM upgrades in these threads as well. Heres one from Rob himself

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5529&highlight=mercury

The amount of results you'll get from your search on each topic will yeild more info than you can stand to read in one sitting. Hope this helps

bhuard75 said:
Hey man, did you search these topics at all with the search function. These topics have been covered over and over for the past six years. Theres loads of info on tubes and speaker combos. There is information on the MM upgrades in these threads as well. Heres one from Rob himself

The amount of results you'll get from your search on each topic will yeild more info than you can stand to read in one sitting. Hope this helps
From reading this post it seems like upgrading the OT with the MM really made an difference

bhuard75 said:

Thank you. I did a search for amp mods and pretty much every thread on this forum showed up in the results of the search.

wesarvin said:
The transformer upgrade looks interesting. Any tips for doing it on an RM20?
I would contact Rob or Trace directly. They could probably answer your question much faster and with greater authority.

WRT MM iron, doubt Trace or Rob could give you an answer right away on tranformer availablility for an rm20. Mecury Magnetics only offer iron for the rm100, check their website. a comprehensive list of available product is listed. Contacting MM directally is your best option on having one built. They'll need an actuall rm20 tranny to replicate it.

I had an indepth discussion with them about this for a RT2/50 i was going to upgrade. They only needed me to supply the transformer I wanted to replace for a MM tranny. The guys over at MM are cool as hell and very helpful. As far as other companies offering OT for the rm20 i dont know, i have never looked into it. Id bet you'd be hard pressed to find someone offering something off the shelf.

bhuard75 said:
WRT MM iron, doubt Trace or Rob could give you an answer right away on tranformer availablility for an rm20. Mecury Magnetics only offer iron for the rm100, check their website. a comprehensive list of available product is listed. Contacting MM directally is your best option on having one built. They'll need an actuall rm20 tranny to replicate it.

I had an indepth discussion with them about this for a RT2/50 i was going to upgrade. They only needed me to supply the transformer I wanted to replace for a MM tranny. The guys over at MM are cool as hell and very helpful. As far as other companies offering OT for the rm20 i dont know, i have never looked into it. Id bet you'd be hard pressed to find someone offering something off the shelf.
Or this^ :lol:

Yup. I checked the site, which is why I checked here. I can contact them directly. Do you guys think the custom tranny would be much more than $200, considering it's about the same size as most 20 watt heads?

bhuard75 said:

Oh Boy!! I should have not opened that thread! :lol:

Jaded Faith said:
It was a similar experience to getting a module back from Pete, but at the amp level. There was better clarity and definition between all notes which was breathtaking at high volume/high gain settings. The low end was so focused and tight compared to before at high volumes. You know how a BBE or EQ can add clarity and definition? Imagine that with no use of EQ's. It hasn't been many times in 22 years of playing that I just shook my head in disbelief at an amp (particularly one that I actually owned!), but wow. Just wow. I should also point out that I have two RM100's tubed the same, so there was a perfect point of reference available to compare stock tranny to the MM side-by-side.

So It makes the Amp sound Hifi(?) like a Boutique Higain Amp?

Well, the thread and this clip made me rethink the importance of the OT. Dang it Rob!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=4V29wkOrQ80&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4V29wkOrQ80

Try different power tubes and even different power sections when possible. I have found my Mesa-based mods like a Mesa 2:90 power amp. My Marshall-based mods simply LOVE the Randall stuff in the RM100, RM50, or RT2/50. I just keep it as loud as tolerable and roll from there. These mods/amps are meant to be pushed. Quite frankly, pushed pretty hard by most people's standard. Power tubes swaps will usually yield the tone I desire (once the walls are sufficiently shaking).
EL34s sound immensely different than 6550s at any volume. But the Randall amps make the switch pretty painless and that, to me, would be the only mod I would want on any other amp I own. An easy bias for each tube in the RM100's case??? Holy crap does that make it unique! Then add two different power tubes and you've got more tones than most would need.

What kinda tricks are you looking for? Sag? Punch? Balls? I know different trannies have different characteristics. So you're probably on to something there but ... That difference can be had in other ways with other tubes... Plus, I went to a pawn shop once in Vegas and found you need to be more specific when speaking about upgraded trannies.

:D

An output transformer upgrade isnt going to have an impact on the tone. Its going to impact the clarity of the amp. Some may perceive to hear more gain, tighter bass, prominent mids, but what their hearing is the added clarity of the amp.