Anyone modify the amp itself?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much on average would a RM100 MM tranny upgrade run? Can it be done at the user end? Or is it more in depth than you think? I have soldering and electronics experience. But in general, is it something I'd rather leave up to Rob?

Jaymzrock said:
How much on average would a RM100 MM tranny upgrade run? Can it be done at the user end? Or is it more in depth than you think? I have soldering and electronics experience. But in general, is it something I'd rather leave up to Rob?

IIRC the MMOT was $225, choke was $35. I did it myself. No drilling, no soldering. If your intelligent enough to make sure your caps are discharged, disassemble your amp, trace wires and doc & photo termination points then it can be done on the user end. MM's color coded the wires on the OT and PT to the randall factory wire colors. I confirmed this at the time with MM which eliminated any further research pertaining to the install (wire taps, pri, sec).

I documented terminating points took some photos. Clipped the factory transformer wires close to the terminals leaving them identifiable by wire color. Removed the Randall OT. Swapped the bell housing mounting feet from the factory randall OT and mounted them on the MM OT. Crimped the ends. Screwed down the MMOT. Wired it to the corresponding wire terminals. Put my amp back together. Turned it on and played.

@ wesarvin "The true question is: is it worth it?" for $260. Yah it was.

My feelings on this subject today in 2012 are a bit different than back in 2008. The main reason is the MTS landscape has changed. Many folks are using modded modules these days and the quality level of those mods is quite high. Will replacing both of the transformers and choke make an improvement? Sure. Is it worth the cost? Totally depends.

A forum member (whom escapes me right now) recently did this upgrade, only to report back that things were too pristine and hi-fi. That can and does happen. Too much of anything is too much. If you have modded modules and then add a modded tranny set on top it's going to be over the top.

If you are able to do the work or have it done locally, it might be worth it. The cost of shipping an RM100, the $500 for a complete set of replacements and the cost to have hem installed EASILY leaves you with an amp that's never going to be resold for 1/2 of what you have invested into it. That's the big kicker. It's a heavy investment you will never recoupe. I was lucky to fetch $800 for my upgraded one about 3 years ago when RM100 prices were high. I doubt I'd get that now and I would easily be in several hundred dollars deeper than that (with no shipping both ways and doing the work myself. At least with modded modules you can flip them for about what you have into them much easier.

Also keep in mind there was only an RM100 set made. If you wanted an RM20, RT 2/50 or RM50 set you would have to pull the existing iron and send it in for however long that takes.

So as of 2012, I typically tell folks I don't recommend it.

Mattfig said:
I know different trannies have different characteristics. So you're probably on to something there but ... Plus, I went to a pawn shop once in Vegas and found you need to be more specific when speaking about upgraded trannies.

:D
Bahahaha! Oh FIG just changed the subject. TMI!!