Best Effects Unit?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used my Egnater and Randall gear thru a ton of different effects units;
the G-System, G-Force, G-Major, Xpression, Intellipitch, Digitech TSR-24S, Digitech GSP2101 Artist, and several others.

The absolute best unit I've used so far has been the Digitech GSP1101.
They're $499 new, but worth every penny.
The G-Force and G-System were considerably more and if they were equally priced, I'd still take the GSP1101.

Best piece of gear besides my Egnater M4 that I've bought in the last few years.

Jim ... you got one of these!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I have been dying for a in depth report. Do tell. How are the OD effects in front of the amp? Are the delays and chorus good? Please elaborate.

I'll have to give an indepth report later on; gotta get to bed right now....
Take my advice, get one!

I'm doing a few fill-in shows and the rig I'm using for the shows is this:
GSP1101 -> Mesa 20/20 -> Mesa 2x12 Vert.
...and that covers EVERYTHING I could ever need!
Great high gains, great low gain, clean...using my FCB1010 to control it, I also get a great Midi CC wah as well as a Whammy, which is fun at times.

It's not Egnater tone, but it's tones are great!
Easily the best 'modeling' preamp I've ever used (...I've had a LOT of modelers, still have many...) and the effects are awesome!!

Gotta get to bed!

Awesome. When you can I am really interested in how it interfaces with the Egnater amp tones. You know OD pedal models in front of the amp and time based in the loop with the amp as the tone generator.

Jim, is the GSP1101 really as transparent as the G-Force? Also, are the amp models any good. Better than Line 6 or Boss?

I'm thinking of ordering both a GT-Pro and GSP1101 to try side by side. I want a really good multi-effects unit with really good amp modeling too for direct recording.

I found I had it hooked up poorly.
If you hook it up right (out of RM4 into Gx700 input then outta that and into RT2/50 input)
..it actually sounds quite good. Perfect? nah..but certainly 75% there.
I dont feel a need a need to buy a newer FX unit...and I am picky about tone.

Okay ... new question on the Digitech GSP1101. I read on another board (TGP) that the delay can only be set in increments of 10 ms. Is that true?

Ping said:
I love the Eventide Eclipse. Transparent and powerful.

Me too. I've owned a few FX units. My favorites are the updated G Force; Lexicon G2 (discontinued, but can still get on the bay), H3000, and the Eclipse. The Eclipse is the best sounding unit I've owned. In the studio it just slays. I put it up against the best verb and delay plugs out there and it makes them sound like Saran Wrap. The modulated delay...oooohhhhh...

Speaking of FX, I have on old G Force that never gets any use if you are interested. I'm too lazy to sell stuff, so it just collects dust. Just shoot me an email if interested. It is nothing like the Eclipse, but if you are just going to pop it in the FX loop for live, it doesn't matter quite as much in my opinion. If it's what you want, I'll hook you up T. Actually, when I got my two new MOD 50s, I used the G Force in the parallel loop for a while until I had my rack rewired. It sounded great. The loop in the MOD 50 is great, by the way.

Thanks John! You're the coolest. I think I'll hold out. I'm in one of those orbiting patterns where I can't really decide what to do. Also I'm hoping my next unit will be able to take advantage of having some built in distortions. The Digitech has a Demeter Fuzzulator model and some cool (i hope) Ts-9 type drives. It also has two processors with delay spillover etc. and quick channel switching. This would be what pushes me off the shelve to buy something. I'm vapor locked right now. If I waffle the other way and you still have the unit I'll hit you with a PM sometime.

Still no answer from you good hombres about then 10 ms delay increment on the 1101 ... Jim, anybody verify that or not?

Thanks Y'all.

I'd love to hear a little more about the GSP1101 as well if anyone's played one. I'm not interested in the Amp modelling, just the fx. The online demos seem to be more about the models.
I have a Lexicon MPX G2 at home that somebody wanted to sell me but it's broken. Every time you go to fire it up it reads- Digipot test fail, then freezes.
I'd like to know how the two units compare, it might be worth getting the G2 fixed. The manual says you can add effects to the delay feedback loop, the 1101 fails to mention if it can do the same.
I hear the wah and whammy on the G2 isn't so good though, they are a major feature I'd like in a unit.

a few of my buddies over here http://guitarlogic.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=5797.105 have the DT unit. Maybe you can ask there as well

I orderd the Digitech 1101 the other day. It should be here early next week. I'll be back for a review after I spend some time with it.

3 Mile Stone said:
I orderd the Digitech 1101 the other day. It should be here early next week. I'll be back for a review after I spend some time with it.
Just couldn't wait any longer :D I would love to hear some clips with the eggie Tommy.I run the G system with the rack and I want somthing for the MOD,I think I can wait for the 2U eggie unit coming out and go from there.

Yea, that's sounds like a good plan man. I'm looking forward to that new 2U thing too. That will give me a chance to put my Bassman module into action and I am watching those Vox mods on the eBay right now.

With the Digitech I am going to go about it in two different steps. FIRST I want to see how good the time based stuff is. The effects loop stuff like the chorus, flange, delay and harmonizer. If it beats up my Vox Tone Lab like I think it will, then I'm half way home. Then I'll hook up the other stomp box based stuff in front of the amp. I am really looking forward to hearing how the EQ, TS 808, Compressor and Demeter Fuzzulator are going sound. I am hoping they are organic enough to actually use. Then if it makes it that far I will look into modelling prior to the power amp. Things like SUPER cleans, acoustic sims. We shall see.

As far as clips goes, I'm not really set up. I'll try to record some stuff on my old analog stuff, dump it onto CD and see if any of you smarter, more technically up to date guys can put it up, if willing.