Best Multi-FX processor + FootController

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
computer processing has increased ten fold+ since 1996 and yet audio processors for guitar are not that much better. We talk all the time about the Replifex (1995!!!), and others...
geez, where is the innovation?

my Tc electronics G major is having problems.
I read all the forum info i could find..but the display is hanging up (its a common problem),,,and so far nothing is making it better.
This is the second Tc Electronics rack piece I am am sending back to them for a repair. They are nice and all (on the phone)..but I am getting really frustrated that the gear has issues.

I can pitch in about the G Major and the Xpression.

I've been using the Xpression with the FCB1010 for a while now with no issues, except that it has no tuner.

I also picked up a G-Major to try out a couple of weeks ago. The G Major has a tuner. Programming it is easier, and Midi implementation is also easier. The knobs have already gone faulty, so I would NOT give it a good score on reliability.

If you want reliability, are not fussed about the tuner, and are patient about tweaking and learning, definitely the Xpression. If you are a plug n play sorta guy - the G Major.

As for the controller, the Behringer FCB1010 packs a LOT of bang for the buck - go for it, IMHO.

There's my 2 cents worth.

I'm a fan of the Digitech GSP1101. It's designed to be used in a number of configurations. It's simple to bypass all amp and cab modeling, and just use the FX.

I don't know if the 'verbs and delays are as nice as the G Major. But they are very nice. Lexicon reverb algorithms.

There's a dedicated footcontroller, the Control 2, that has an expression pedal.

If you want to get fancy, you can set it up for stompbox-style effects before your preamp, then run the signal into your RM4 for real tube preamp goodness, then back to the GSP for post-preamp effects (verbs and delays) then to your power amp.

The multiple AD/DA stages might be a concern for you. I haven't used it this way myself yet, but might be worth a try. I love the sound of this thing. (Currently using it as effects, amp, and cab modeler for direct recording.)

Wildstar..love to hear some audio of you..playing your GSP rig with the Rm4.
I bought a 2101 (I think it was) back when it first came out. It had tubes and DSP Fx and it was like 2 rack spaces big...forgive lack of details it was a long time ago..and it didnt sound for recording at all, imho. Not warm. I sold it really quick,went with a Boss MultiFx instead, it was 1994 or 6...I thought the Boss was ok...usuable, at least. maybe you have Voodoo, to make it sound good.

I'm between MTS rigs at the moment... sold my RM50, saving for a RM4 to stuff all the new 2009/2010 modules into. So it might be a long wait to hear any clips!

IIRC, the 2101 and 1101 are totally different beats. Different code, different chips, etc. I don't think they can fairly be compared. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I don't have much voodoo. But my kind of stupid rule of thumb with new gear is: if I'm pretty psyched with what I'm hearing immediately after plugging in, all knobs about at noon, then the gear tends to stick around. And I am finding that I barely tweak the GSP1101.

It's definitely worth trying out at a store, if you can find one.

A lot of guys use it just for the stomp box models - they're that good. I've used a lot of modeling gear over the years, and this one really wins, for me at least.

GtrGeorge! said:
I bought a 2101 (I think it was) back when it first came out. It had tubes and DSP Fx and it was like 2 rack spaces big...forgive lack of details it was a long time ago..and it didnt sound for recording at all, imho. Not warm. I sold it really quick,went with a Boss MultiFx instead, it was 1994 or 6...I thought the Boss was ok...usuable, at least. maybe you have Voodoo, to make it sound good.

And as a follow up... check out page 15 of this thread below, about the 10th post down. You should ask him for some clips! That is a killer GSP1101 setup.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=52618#52618

GtrGeorge! said:

that is NOT at all the horrible Digitech 2101thing I heard a long time ago. It looks alot more modern and its just one rack space tall which is good.
Probably sounds good,too. To bad Im already living with my current rig and cant change much right now.
If ya are in NY come see my band, "The Fuse" and hear my rig at 120 decibels!!! It sounds great.