GSP1101 - need advice

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugg said:
@unconventional - I know exactly what you mean about having a sensitive ear, it's a curse! You should try a line mixer and run your effects in parallel. This way the dry signal is preserved and the effects are mixed with it. Make sure you have an effects unit with wet/dry mixing or a kill dry setting so you can set it to 100% wet. Otherwise you will get phasing issues between the dry signal in the effects (delayed by the digital conversion) and the real dry signal.

@okstrat - the GSP1101 is very transparent in terms of clarity but to my ears it robs a lot of the tube warmth. Unfortunately there is no wet/dry mix so you cannot run it in parallel. Also, I thought the delays and reverbs were on the weak side.

@raf - if you don't already have the Midi Mate manual, download the PDF from Rocktron's site and read it. It should tell you how to setup the MM with the MIDI channel of each of your devices and then how to program presets to call up different channels / patches on your RM4 and GSP. Basically you setup each preset on the MM to send a different program change number to each device. I'm not familiar with programming the Midi Mate since I use a Ground Control, but the concept is the same.

I have a TC G-sharp on order, it has a kill dry button on the back. I hope to god this thing works. What do you mean about mixer?

Kevin

raf- your RM4 is probably set to receive on channel 1 or 16.

ned said:

I put all the dipswitches to one side , probably channel 1

So could you tell me how I could get the pedal to work ...

Thanks a lot Ned for helping me out ;-)

Raf

Raf_666 said:
ned said:

I put all the dipswitches to one side , probably channel 1

So could you tell me how I could get the pedal to work ...

Thanks a lot Ned for helping me out ;-)

Raf

Ok a bit wiser now , I read that the RM4 can only receive one type of midi at once so if my first is a program change it will only respond to PC's and not CC's. **** this is hard. Is there a way to get it working while I still use the benefit of the integrated phantom power or should I go to the MIDI in from the GSP direct and from there to the RM4

thx

Raf_666 said:
Ok a bit wiser now , I read that the RM4 can only receive one type of midi at once so if my first is a program change it will only respond to PC's and not CC's. **** this is hard. Is there a way to get it working while I still use the benefit of the integrated phantom power or should I go to the MIDI in from the GSP direct and from there to the RM4

thx

If you need phantom power for the Midi Mate, plug the pedal MIDI OUT into the RM4 MIDI IN. Then use a separate MIDI cable to connect the RM4 MIDI THRU to the GSP MIDI IN. As long as the RM4 and GSP are on different MIDI channels the MIDI data will be retransmitted from the RM4 to the GSP. For example, if you set RM4 to Ch 1 and GSP to Ch 2, you would setup a patch on the pedal to transmit a program change on Ch 1 to change the channel on the RM4 while simultaneously transmitting a program change on Ch 2 to change to a program (patch) on the GSP. Make sure the dip switches on the RM4 are set for program change (PC), otherwise you will have to setup the pedal to send a CC message to the RM4 instead of a PC.
The expression pedal could then be setup to send continuous control messages to the GSP on Ch 2. The expression pedal must be assigned a control number (CC# 001, 002, etc.) on the Midi Mate and you must assign the same controller number to an effect in the GSP.

Hope this helps. The concept is not hard to understand but setting up the devices can be tricky.

Ugg said:
Raf_666 said:

thx

If you need phantom power for the Midi Mate, plug the pedal MIDI OUT into the RM4 MIDI IN. Then use a separate MIDI cable to connect the RM4 MIDI THRU to the GSP MIDI IN. As long as the RM4 and GSP are on different MIDI channels the MIDI data will be retransmitted from the RM4 to the GSP. For example, if you set RM4 to Ch 1 and GSP to Ch 2, you would setup a patch on the pedal to transmit a program change on Ch 1 to change the channel on the RM4 while simultaneously transmitting a program change on Ch 2 to change to a program (patch) on the GSP. Make sure the dip switches on the RM4 are set for program change (PC), otherwise you will have to setup the pedal to send a CC message to the RM4 instead of a PC.
The expression pedal could then be setup to send continuous control messages to the GSP on Ch 2. The expression pedal must be assigned a control number (CC# 001, 002, etc.) on the Midi Mate and you must assign the same controller number to an effect in the GSP.

Hope this helps. The concept is not hard to understand but setting up the devices can be tricky.

OK I think I understand , I'll try it after work. I hooked it up like you said but have both units set to CH1 only , so I'll set the GSP to channel 2 , i can program the midimate so with the push of 1 button 2 midi commands are being send , is this correct ?

Anyway Thanks a lot for clearing this out ...

Raf

Sorry to bother you guys again. Now I know what Ugg means that the sounds changes too much ... I hear it to and it's not good al all. Someone over at HC told me to switch to mixer instead of the preamp config and it did help al lot. switching to poweramp I got fizz , even bypassing the unit by pressing the bypass button , fizzy sounds. Is the signal from our RM4 too hot for using with the GSP ( guess only with the high gain modules )

So ppl who are telling it's not colouring would they use low-gain and clean modules ?

Any ideas ?

Yes, you can program the MidiMate to send different program changes to each MIDI channel. For example, you can setup one preset (pedal) on the MidiMate to simultaneously send 002 to the RM4 on MIDI channel 1 and send 005 to the GSP on MIDI channel 2. This would select the second module in the RM4 and preset number 5 on the GSP.

The GSP shouldn't sound "fizzy" unless you have distortion enabled on the GSP on top of a distortion module on the RM4. It sounds like you are running the GSP in the RM4's effects loop with the RM4 effects send into the GSP guitar input. The RM4's effects loop is calibrated to either pedals or rack gear, I can't remember which. (Do a search on this forum for "line shifter" to see if it's required for pedals or rack gear.) There may also be a setting in the GSP for line level vs pro level... if so, try changing it.

The GSP1101 has several settings for different amp routing configurations. You MUST set the correct mode in the GSP's menu or it won't sound right.
The manual will tell you what mode to set for your routing path, just compare the pictures with how your rig is wired.

You can also try this routing: guitar -> GSP input; GSP send -> RM4 input; RM4 output -> GSP return; GSP output -> power amp. The disadvantage with this routing is you have to set an option in the GSP to use the GSP's internal preamp (distortion modeling) or external preamp (RM4). You must use either the external preamp setting or the one that lets you switch internal/external for each preset. With the latter you will have to modify each preset to make it use the external preamp (RM4).

I almost forgot, the GSP has a global speaker simulator that should be disabled if you're already running into an amp and cabinet. Emulating a cabinet through a real cabinet will sound terrible.

Definitely read and re-read the GSP manual. The GSP is more flexible than most effects units but consequently there are more settings to tweak and more chances to get something wrong.

Ugg said:
Yes, you can program the MidiMate to send different program changes to each MIDI channel. For example, you can setup one preset (pedal) on the MidiMate to simultaneously send 002 to the RM4 on MIDI channel 1 and send 005 to the GSP on MIDI channel 2. This would select the second module in the RM4 and preset number 5 on the GSP.

The GSP shouldn't sound "fizzy" unless you have distortion enabled on the GSP on top of a distortion module on the RM4. It sounds like you are running the GSP in the RM4's effects loop with the RM4 effects send into the GSP guitar input. The RM4's effects loop is calibrated to either pedals or rack gear, I can't remember which. (Do a search on this forum for "line shifter" to see if it's required for pedals or rack gear.) There may also be a setting in the GSP for line level vs pro level... if so, try changing it.

The GSP1101 has several settings for different amp routing configurations. You MUST set the correct mode in the GSP's menu or it won't sound right.
The manual will tell you what mode to set for your routing path, just compare the pictures with how your rig is wired.

You can also try this routing: guitar -> GSP input; GSP send -> RM4 input; RM4 output -> GSP return; GSP output -> power amp. The disadvantage with this routing is you have to set an option in the GSP to use the GSP's internal preamp (distortion modeling) or external preamp (RM4). You must use either the external preamp setting or the one that lets you switch internal/external for each preset. With the latter you will have to modify each preset to make it use the external preamp (RM4).

I almost forgot, the GSP has a global speaker simulator that should be disabled if you're already running into an amp and cabinet. Emulating a cabinet through a real cabinet will sound terrible.

Definitely read and re-read the GSP manual. The GSP is more flexible than most effects units but consequently there are more settings to tweak and more chances to get something wrong.

I don't use the effectsloop of the RM4 just the input and the pre-loop out. All cab models are disabled, no internal distortionmodels , I disabled everything except the external amp. I got better results using the mixer option 3, i checked and rechecked the i/o setup , global settings. What also strikes me is that with the bypass button my RM4 sounds awfull ...

R

Hey ? I think I found the problem , I connected everything like it should , set-up was fine. I tried this afternoon and I got no loss this time. The only thing I changed was put my xpression back into my rack and moved the GSP to another flightcase. all worked fine now , my guess is that the GSP close to the rm4 gives the problems (caused by high frequences from the transformer or the tubes i dunno) , I'll replace the GSP tonight and see if the artificial sound is back. now bypassing the GSP gives me the pure tone of the RM4 , before the replacing it was plain awfull ... I'll keep you posted

Raf

Hi guys , is there someone over here who wants to do me a big favour ?
Ordering a 20 dollar transfo for the GSP1101 I have ? I need a 220V version and the support in US told me they can only ship to US. SO if someone could order it for me and ship it to Belgium I'd be very happy. I'd pay with paypal to cover all costs ...

So if someone can help me please PM me for details ok

Thx for reading this

Raf

i use a gcx switcher made by voodoo labs. has 8 effect loops. i use 2gcx for my pedals , effect loop and AB ing my sound to 3 amps(sort of like Petrucci) .each pedal goes into a loop (and stays on)and can be switched in or out of your sound. also cuts down on total amount of cable ur signal goes through.all my pedals are rack mounted.check out voodoo labs online. i also use a ground control pro by voodoo labs,lets me name my channels and customer service is AAA. i called them, the guy was at lunch and when he came back called me in less than an hour and walked me through my questions and helped program it. anyway that is one solution and u can keep ur pedals.i like pedals better than multi effect programing,one pedal,one job, easy tweeking turn a knob not push a button and another and another and save.....opps what happened to my sound...what do u mean backup??????lol