Boost/ gain boost in front of RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tung

Reaction score
what do you guys run for extra boost in front of your heads?
I've been experimenting with various with various pedals in front of my RM100 just for that extra kick, especially for solos. I find the Xotic AC Booster to be the best one for me right now, after running a **** load of pedals, including vintage Tube screamers and re-issues ones.
The Tube Screamers are nice but they add a lot of excess noise, whereas the Xotic stuff are little quieter, they 're also true bypass, a must for me because I don't want my straight into the amp path messed up by pedal signal.
Love to hear what you guys are using. I know the BBE has been a popular boost, I find they're great for extra punch in metal chugging, but haven't had much luck with it in the lead area.
I'm also considering the MXR Dynacomp to get more boost on blues and jazz tones, Xotic BB and RC also supposed to kick real well for these tones too, anybody had experience with these?
T.

tung said:
what do you guys run for extra boost in front of your heads?
I've been experimenting with various with various pedals in front of my RM100 just for that extra kick, especially for solos. I find the Xotic AC Booster to be the best one for me right now, after running a s*&t load of pedals, including vintage Tube screamers and re-issues ones.
The Tube Screamers are nice but they add a lot of excess noise, whereas the Xotic stuff are little quieter, they 're also true bypass, a must for me because I don't want my straight into the amp path messed up by pedal signal.
Love to hear what you guys are using. I know the BBE has been a popular boost, I find they're great for extra punch in metal chugging, but haven't had much luck with it in the lead area.
I'm also considering the MXR Dynacomp to get more boost on blues and jazz tones, Xotic BB and RC also supposed to kick real well for these tones too, anybody had experience with these?
T.

I use the Xotic BB.. I keep it on most of the time with the Brahma and 1086.It's the best boost pedal I've used! and if I want more volume for leads I use MXR Mirco Amp in the loop.

I use either a Digitech Bad Monkey or a Keeley George Lynch Time Boost. Both sound great, IMO.

self built BYOC tri-boost pedal. I like it more than the other 'boost' pedals I have (stock bad monkey, self modded TS9, self modded Boss SD, self scratch built TS pedals, etc.)

I just use the boost if I have to play the amp at a low enough volume that I can't 'get the goods' sustain/gain wise. Fortunately I usually don't have to resort to it. :)

Pete

mike said:
tung said:
I use the Xotic BB.. I keep it on most of the time with the Brahma and 1086.It's the best boost pedal I've used! and if I want more volume for leads I use MXR Mirco Amp in the loop.

Hey Mike,
Just a side note here, but where do you get Xotic stuff now in Toronto?
I used to get it from the now closed Songbird, I wouldn't mind picking up the BB and the RC.

okstrat said:
I just use the boost if I have to play the amp at a low enough volume that I can't 'get the goods' sustain/gain wise. Fortunately I usually don't have to resort to it. :)

Pete

So I guess you're going straight into to modules for leads? (besides your effects like delay, chorus etc.. of course)
With your mods, i don't think you'll need much external boost to your signal path, especially for extra gain.
All my OD pedals are run at minimal or 0 on the gain, I'm using it stricly for extra boost and sustain, maybe a slight more gain, that's all.

tung said:
okstrat said:

Pete

So I guess you're going straight into to modules for leads? (besides your effects like delay, chorus etc.. of course)
With your mods, i don't think you'll need much external boost to your signal path, especially for extra gain.
All my OD pedals are run at minimal or 0 on the gain, I'm using it stricly for extra boost and sustain, maybe a slight more gain, that's all.

I usually play loud enough onstage that I could use a stock plexi for leads. :)

I like the Cusack Screamer a lot.

What I really like about it is the tone knob has a huge variation from no change to a super tight sound that can help a guitar that's a little bit too boomy/flubby.

The distortion knob on it is also adjustable from no fuzz to a nice breakup that I usually use on top of module distortion to give a little bit of characteristic "sizzle".

I liked it as soon as I plugged it in, and have only tweaked it since then, but I now can't live without it.

I was on the sevenstring.org forums and they rave about a guy who makes custom pedals specifically to boost ure amp. He calls them "bloody murder" and all the mesa guy's rave about this guy's doings. ive been on a 1 month waiting list to get one and im #3 to get it. I can't wait to try it out because all the reviews are amazing by the metal guys.

tung said:
mike said:
tung said:

Hey Mike,
Just a side note here, but where do you get Xotic stuff now in Toronto?
I used to get it from the now closed Songbird, I wouldn't mind picking up the BB and the RC.

Kaos Music on bloor or 12 fret on danforth..they have the BB+ on back order.

riff man said:
i use my XTC if i need a "boost" for a lead any where , no need for anything in the front

I agree that most modules like the XTC sounds great on its own. I use the boost just to get a bit more volume/sustain during solos, but also to squeeze more tone, since we're all tone chasers here, right? :wink:

tung said:
I agree that most modules like the XTC sounds great on its own. I use the boost just to get a bit more volume/sustain during solos, but also to squeeze more tone, since we're all tone chasers here, right? :wink:

+1 - the modules do sound excellent, but different flavors of boost will give you additional tweaks to the sound that are just impossible to get otherwise. Neither is better or worse - I'd think more like customizing a module without a solder gun ;)

lurid said:
tung said:

+1 - the modules do sound excellent, but different flavors of boost will give you additional tweaks to the sound that are just impossible to get otherwise. Neither is better or worse - I'd think more like customizing a module without a solder gun ;)

agreed

although i run the RM4 and all the associated rack junk that can go along with the rack world 8) i like to keep everything as simple as possible if i can't get the tone i'm after with the mod..i end my search there ...lucky for me i gotten everything i've wanted out of the four mods i have.. so i feel pretty lucky so far ... 8)

Gee Donner said:
I just added a switch that changes the cathode value on the input tube. Now we are talking about CLIPPING!

///G

You read my mind :D I was planning to do the same thing. There are several things that can be done with the input board really. To me its the simplest board in the RM100. Cheers!
C-Board.jpg