Boy, did I miss my MTS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
I am flying back from a show in Austin.....r&b - r&r. I had two rehearsals and did not have a way to fly with any of my MTS rigs, so I used a friend's Princeton II from the 80's with a Tubescreamer. It was "good enough" but boy howdy, I really missed my MTS stuff. My plan was to find one of you guys or a rental place to rent me something MTS and then I could bring my own modules, but nobody responded and the rental places were not sure what I was talking about. I really did miss being able to carry my sound with me and even change sounds during a break. I get hired to play a lot of different styles and now I have the solution. I am greatful for Rob and Anthony for all of the cool mods that give me the ability to do this. I was reading in another thread about getting MTS to "feel" right. Like the Princeton II, the stockers were good enough, but I probably would have used them for a year or two and then moved on. The modders have carried me on a sunbeam to Jesus. By doing this gig with one amp, I realized how much I could never just use one amp as my sound is no loger one sound.

Why not just send your amp and a few mods via UPS or FedEx down there, unpack, play and send back? Couldve surely found a cab to use? Hell, I'd even just go to the local Guitar Center, throw a few pieces of gear on the CC (something worth GASsing over, may as well try something cool right?), play the gigs, and return the stuff, lol. The ol GC shuffle... I've done this several times for recording purposes alone, lol. Hey, it's their policy, right?

That would be a great idea for next time....All I would have to bring would be myRM4 and borrow a power amp and cabs. This time I spent too much time online trying to find some MTS gear there but like I said, nobody really gets this stuff. I could see a rental agency being able to rent the **** out of this by telling musicians that they can rent one amp and get three amps out of it and not modeled amps. Randall blew this one on the marketing end years ago.

ricky said:
Randall blew this one on the marketing end years ago.

AMEN!
But sadly for Randall most people see them as a Metal amp.
Now they are back to that.
Trying to convince others to drink the MTS kool-aid is hard.
all of the guys I hang with was surprised when I started using Randall!
I'm mostly a classic rock guy.

Same here. People look at me funny when I say I am playing through a Randall system. Kind of like "What is an old guy like you doing playing a metal amp?"
After next Monday I will be playing through a Jaded Faith "Boutique" amp so people will then know that I am cooler than anyone who plays through a Randall amp.

I play blues, SRV, Hendrix, Who, Freddie King, B.B. and Albert, Classic Country like "Wheel of Fire," and a bunch of other stuff, and, with the RM50 and a few modules, no one has ever told me "my tone was wrong."
Can't beat that.

Yeah i would miss mine greatly if I had to play without it. I mean, I have played amps that were better built. None better than the vintage Plexi I had, or the Orange Rockerverb. But the sheer flexibility of this system is astounding. I only own 3 modules(all J.F), but I really feel like I can get almost any tone out of it in a manageable 1x12 combo. I would love to do an RM4 + power amp situation so I could use 4 at once.

I did have Rob mod the effects loop, which made the whole amp MUCH better. I was so frustrated with the effects loop I was ready to drop MTS altogether. It's allgood now though.

Latest posts