Bunch of newbie RM100 questions..

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlok

Reaction score
Now that I'm really getting into messing with my RM100, I realized that I have some (probably stupid) questions but I fully believe what they say about the only stupid question being the one not asked.. So here goes:

Head itself:
- Anything I should know about plugging things in and out while head is on? or on standby? Like the loops, or footswitch cable? Anything hurt by messing with them? I know not to pull speaker cables..
- The swap of a 5751 for the 12ax7 in the PI - that seems like a pretty good thing from what I've read. Is it only really "that good" with a NOS JAN 5751 or are there others that are that good? Link please if possible?
- Any reason to change the "preamp" tubes along with the PI?

Modules:
- "Hot swappable" - Does this mean you can take them in and out while on standby? Being careful I've been doing a full cool down and shut down before removing/installing a module. What's the scoop?
- There's lots of info about small and/or necessary-ish mods (resistors/caps - like on gigmods.com, etc.) and some seems older than others. Have there been big changes that made some obsolete or are those still basically true? I don't have the cash to get anything pro-modded right now so I just want the stockers I have to be all they can be..

Footswitch:
- (RF3) Is the cable a MIDI cable or 7 pin DIN? Is there a difference? The one I have is questionable and will be replaced in the near future. Which one?
- WTF is the 9-12v power input for? It works (switches modules) without any power. Something having to do with the MIDI?
- What "settings" are saved when you hold down a button on for the MIDI setting? I see some have big MIDI controllers with rack effects and I get how that controls it but with just the RM, 3 modules, and some pedals, what's being "set"?

I'm sure there will be more. Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance!!!

I have only used Jan GE 5751's so that is all that I know.

Only plug in the footswitch when the amp is off or you could burn up the midi board.

I put my amp in standby when swapping modules but they say you don't have too. I have burned a couple preamp tubes when I was A/B'ing some modules between two different amps without flipping it into standby.

As for the mods go, most of those guys that do this as a service update their designs over time or by request.