CC Number and CC Value

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEraOutlaws

Reaction score
I'm having an issue getting the CC messages to respond from the Morningstar MC8 into two Synergy SYN-2's. I'm just trying to figure out what the CC number and values should be set up for the 8 channels. I have both Syn-2's set on midi channel 1. Below is from the manual. Thanks for the help.

Continuous Controllers - The SYN2 also responds to MIDI continuous controller (CC) messages. These MIDI messages are typically used for “instant access” buttons on more advanced MIDI controllers – buttons that can be set up to directly select amp channels.

CC Number Function

56 Select channel 1A
57 Select channel
1B 58 Select channel
2A 59 Select channel
2B 60 Bypass
64 Mute

When selecting a channel using CC messages, only a message with a CC value of 64 or higher will have any effect. Messages with a CC value of 63 or lower is ignored. The Mute CC (#64) will mute all channels of the SYN-2 if a value of 64 or higher is received, and will unmute the amp if a value of 63 or lower is received.

For most systems, it’s recommended that you set your SYN2s to the same MIDI channel. You can follow the programming instructions above, repeating the steps for each SYN2. When you want to access the second SYN2, make sure that the first SYN2 is set to bypass.

I have an MC8, but don’t have a syn2. You may know everything I am about to say.

The cc NUMBER will be one of the ones shown from your list for the respective channel on the Syn.

Now, the cc VALUE will be 127, or basically any number above 64 to turn that channel on. The wild card is using the bypass CC when you want to use the other syn2

Am I making any sense or just covering things you have already tried? If you can get just one working with the MC8, then getting the second to work will be a little different, but possible.

The MC8 is plenty capable and I have had success using one to switch an RM1250, which is not impossible to control with most other midi controllers.

If you're using Midi CC, you need to use different midi channels for your Syn 2s. You can set them both on midi channel 1 if you're using PC but not CC.

I have tried both of those suggestions in the Morningstar Editor and the little light isn't blinking on either Syn-2. I want to break things in half. What's frustrating is that it did work and now it isn't.

Sorry to hear. I know it is disappointing when the whole midi thing doesn’t work.

Have you tried to get just one syn2 to work?

I made a big breakthrough last night. I am able to choose all 8 amp channels with the MC8. I am running into the issue where the first Syn-2 needs to set to bypass mode. Is there a midi message to send when the second Syn-2 is activated? Also, the midi thru on the Line 6 is where I was having an issue. It's not sending signals thru. Is there a proper way to set that up? Thanks for all of your suggestions, they have gotten me heading in the right direction, I greatly appreciate it.

Check this thread - https://line6.com/support/topic/36546-reserved-midi-cc-and-external-midi-controllers-hx-stomp/

There is a video showing a Stomp and MC6. Suspect the midi functions on the Stomp are the same as the Effect.

Right thanks Ned, this is a really good thread you discovered. I was just watching that Morningstar video this morning so that's very helpful too. I'm getting close to achieving my goal with this rig. I'll report back on the progress. I did email Synergy/Boutique yesterday so hopefully they'll have some insight into how I can get that bypass function to activate.

Also, here's a great video that Jason Sadites made with the MC8 and the HX Stomp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMTojpVMXZ8&t=1s

Jason's videos are great. Adding a compressor to the end of my signal change per Jason's suggestion was a game changer with the HXFX!!!

His videos really are awesome. He has a great way of making complicated things simple.

I spoke with the tech department at Boutique Amps Distribution and here's what they have to say.

"First problem is you are using an 8 button switch... you need another loop for bypass. You should be able to get your midi controller to make 2 moves with one button...if so you would program SYN#1 bypass & SYN#2 activate on the same button."

The MC8 can send multiple midi messages per switch so I should be able to turn off the first Syn-2 with a single button. What's the protocol for this? Also, here's my setup and how I'd like to get it going.

https://youtu.be/fjaWeXIjPl0

One more update from Synergy.

Our engineer confirmed my suggestion...
"Yes, it can be activated with the same midi program change.
He needs to Program bypass on the master unit when he wants the slave unit modules activated."
Check with your midi controller manual or call them to find out the correct way to program multiple messages/changes per button click.

Are each of the syn2 on the same channel or does each have its own unique channel?

Perhaps you have already done this, If they are on different channels, just add a second line in the Morningstar editor for each button and bypass the Syn you don’t need with a second cc command mentioned earlier. Repeat three times, then do the opposite for the other Syn.

Warmachine67,

Correct, Syn-2 #1 is set to midi channel 1 and Syn-2 #2 is midi channel 2. If I have this correct then set a CC number of 60 (bypass) with a CC value of 127 as well as the CC for the correct channel also set to CC 127.

From what I can tell, that should do something like you want.

If not, you are close enough to figure it out with trial and error.

Yep, that totally worked. 8 glorious tube amp channels at the click of a button. Now time to integrate the Line 6 HX Effects and begin to set up the songs in the MC8 banks. I really appreciate everyone's help, my headache has subsided!