Clean module tube observations

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
I like my stock clean module. It just sometimes seems to lean slightly towards being a generic clean if that makes any sense. So I spent yesterday rolling various tubes through it. It would take all day to type every combination so I'm only going to be brief here.

Originally it had a JJ 12AX7 in V1 and a EH 12AX7 in V2. My opinion is that it sounded good but nothing really special. It all starts to sound the same after a while anyway. And this wasn't blind testing so I went into it knowing that the results would probably be skewed.

As I expected, some tube swaps made a little difference either good or bad, but most didn't make much difference at all. Until I tried a 60's Mullard 7247 in V1 and a 60's Sylvania 12AU7 in V2. Ever had the hair on your arms and neck move itself to make room for the goosebumps to run through when you're playing? I did. And it was very memorable.

I plugged in again as soon as I woke up this morning. Same hair parting and goosebumps. I know it's not my playing because I'm probably average on my best days. And my equipment isn't anything to brag about. I'm not much of a clean player either. So my advice is try that tube combination or something similar if you can. There's something special about it.