Closest Module to EVH 5150 III Channel 3

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdInfinitum

Reaction score
Has anyone a/b'd a module to get it close to the EVH 5150 III Red/3rd channel? I purchased an EVH to check it out and loved the 3rd channel (the second channel was the big disappoinment). Frankly, the Mod100 sounded much better, so back the EVH went. I'm just curious if anyone has any recommendations for a mod that nails that red channel tone.

i don't think there a module that will actually get you there. one could probably be voiced similiar, but that is a pretty distinct sounding channel on the 5153. it's very pi$$ed off sounding.

the red channel has tones of gain to it, so my recommendation would be an ultra xl with an orange drop mod. that will get the module cooking and "crispy." (in a hifi way)

(and i am dumb founded you find the blue channel less than inspiring)

A lot of people think that channel is Similar to a Bogner Red.

My suggestion .XTC mod ,send it to OKstrat get the warmth , clarity mods . move up the mid voicing a bit ...

Ihave the ultra xl, what tonally does the orange mod do?... so far my fave 2 modules are the XTC and the ultra XL....neither seem to have quite enough or shall i say the right mids for me...and none of the modules have the chunky low end... I wish I could get the bottom end of my Line 6 vetta II HD when i am using the channel 4 mod of the Diesel VH-4...that would be perfect!

AdInfinitum said:
Has anyone a/b'd a module to get it close to the EVH 5150 III Red/3rd channel? I purchased an EVH to check it out and loved the 3rd channel (the second channel was the big disappoinment). Frankly, the Mod100 sounded much better, so back the EVH went. I'm just curious if anyone has any recommendations for a mod that nails that red channel tone.
Have you tried the EG5?Thats about as nasty as Egnater gets :D

jmgman70 said:
AdInfinitum said:
Have you tried the EG5?Thats about as nasty as Egnater gets :D

I have an Egnater UXL that was custom made for somebody....modelled after the Randall UXL...it's one mean machine, has the edge on the EG5 on the meanie scale. :D

the EVH 5150 III has a real distinctive cut in the mids, it's very hign gain but it has that 6L6 clarity to it, that's the best I can describe the thing.
I would love to have a module that'll come close to that. My XTC does a close proximity, in the ball park but nowhere near the same. I find using EMGs will get me a little closer.
When I tried the Ultra XL, it has the gain, but the mids was nowhere near define as the 5150, it was all gain.

tung...pete will be able to dial in/out the mids to get you there.

otherwise...get a hold of Dave at Racksystems. He's a EdHead (like me) and can get you where you'd like to go.

Thanks Steve for the tip. I'll give the Ultra another shot, I'm not a huge Edhead but I do love the sound of the 5150 III.

you know...after spend a significant amount of time on the RM100KH...it can give you all those tones and more. I have owned several 5150 III's and they have been pretty inconsistant. I can get every tone out of the 5150 III with the RM100KH...and still be able to swap modules for other tones as well.

The KH2 module is the blue channel on the 5150 III...and basically the red channel on the 5150 III is a souped up blue channel...much like the KH3 module to the KH2. All the 5150 III tones are in the KH head. Period.

Add the flexibility of both KH cabinets/other modules and it's a no brainer.

RD/Steve said:
you know...after spend a significant amount of time on the RM100KH...it can give you all those tones and more. I have owned several 5150 III's and they have been pretty inconsistant. I can get every tone out of the 5150 III with the RM100KH...and still be able to swap modules for other tones as well.

The KH2 module is the blue channel on the 5150 III...and basically the red channel on the 5150 III is a souped up blue channel...much like the KH3 module to the KH2. All the 5150 III tones are in the KH head. Period.

Add the flexibility of both KH cabinets/other modules and it's a no brainer.

Thanks for this info, Steve, greatly appreciated since I'm going to test drive the KH modules this coming week.
Here's the thing: that's great for those who are going to buy the RM100KH, but what about for us who are already using RM100? I know there are minor differences between the two, one being that the KH has more bottom end?
So...bottom line is, if I get the KH2 or KH3, I'll be a little closer to getting the 5150 III sounds with my RM100?
thanks again for your input

oh yeah...you can get those tones on any rm100. i actually back the low end off the kh a touch...

it's nice to know it's there though...

tonymustang302 said:
NOOB ALERT!!!!!!! So I can use the Egnator modules in my RM100?
Yes you can use the Egnater modules in the RM,But only the singles work and the duals work,but you only get the 1st channel.They are starting to mod the RM100s only to except the dualies though :shock: