couple problems with modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewy

Reaction score
So, I have an RM100 and I love the thing to death. This is why it's particularly bumming me out that I've had a bad string of luck with it. I bought it a 1.5 years ago, and on the first day I set it up, my Deluxe module had a serious crackling/popping sound. It will cut out in volume big time, but then sometimes fill right back in at normal volume and work totally fine. The problem is that the problem is incredibly intermittent. It can go whole weeks of working just fine, but then one day it gets fussy and does the problem again. This is why I didn't bring it right back the very first day, it started acting fine within 20 minutes so I just let it slide (which was stupid). I brought it in to the place I got it from, only to have it not do the problem (which I knew was going to happen because it is in fact so sporadic). I got turned away because there was "no problem" with the module. I recently brought it back in and pushed my case further, and they sent it back to Randall (for $13 of shipping I should add...).

I tried the Deluxe module in all three slots, and it did the problem in all three slots. I tried the other two module in the first slot (where the Deluxe normally sits), and they were both fine in that slot. This led me to the conclusion that it was in fact the module. But then again, when I take it out of the head to bring it in and have it tested out in the store, it never shows the problem. Once again, it's so incredibly sporadic that this doesn't surprise me. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Almost more importantly is that since removing the Deluxe module and playing the other channels, I've noticed an incredibly high hiss level that was never evident before (with nothing else different). It was like one day my other two modules decided they were going to increase their noise (hiss) level tenfold! It's really frustrating me (having already been frustrated as hell about the Deluxe module - which I'm currently without for 2+ weeks while Randall works things over). What could cause this drastic and sudden increase in the hiss level of my other two channels/modules?

I dont know...what is the problem..but Bruce Egnater did a post recently..and He is THE man..I think he addressed an issue like what you describe..do a search by authot...
he goes under the name "Bruce Almighty"

Chances are one of the tubes in the head is going out...it happens.

VERY important clue: Hiss
many times hiss is a bad capacitor
The popping and cutting out of sound, sometimes that a module that is having truoble with its connections at the back of its printed Circuit board.

so maybe you have a bad cap in a circuit that gets involved in those modules (like in the power amp?)
And maybe you need to see what others do for bad PCB connections..I heard of DeOxit...using an eraser from apencil..all kinds of stuff.
It seems like a good time to focus on all this befre it gets worse.

it costs NOTHING to take out you preamp tubes and then re-insert them. I found out the hard way 2 days ago that a preamp tube can slip out partially from its socket causin intermittant hisses and sometimes bursts of low end noise.
I reinserted the suspected tubes..and its working perfect. I have left it on for 3 hrs..and the problem I had is gone.
Of course, take the module out..power removed when doing this. If any doubts at all..use a qualified serviceperson.

I got an XTC module the other day, put it in and had the same problem.All I did is remove the module, remove the cage and 2 , 12ax7's and tighten the sockets. After that I put the tubes back in and blammo! No more problems...My rev pro was cutting in and out and it was one of the power tube sockets. Same thing. Pull the tubes , tighten the sockets and you might be good. The tubes heat up alot and may cause the tube sockets to loosen after some time.