Density/Presence board

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsweapon

Reaction score
I was talking with JF the other day and I was telling him about my density and presence knobs having very little affect good or bad. I have a fairly early production RM100 and he mentioned that there have been problems with the d/p board on early models. Does anybody have any info or ideas on how to fix it. For example the presence knob doesn't do much at all until about 3:00 or so it will add some treble but really just thin the sound. I can't seem to get the clarity from my amp that our other guitar player gets from his single rec. I know there are a lot of factors with these amps but I would think that d/p board should have some affect.

The density/presence controls are wired to the output transformer secondary and connect to V1.
(feedback to the input V1)

The presence and density controls are a low pass(Bass) high pass (Treble)
feedback circuit back to the phase inverter. Think of them as "subtractive"
tone controls in that you make it more treble by removing the bass. and
more bass by removing the treble, and they're interactive.

Not sure if Randall has ever made a production change...

This Presence 'problem' has existed on every modular head I've owned.....even a much newer RM50HLB and RM100LB.

The Density control could use more range (i.e. not get so tubby/woofy early on) and the Presence control could do with coming on earlier in the sweep.

I been looking at circuits and I may modify mine just for giggles at some point.

I have my presence control at around 4:00. Anything less and it sounds muddy and dark to me. That always bugged me, because on every other amp I've ever played with a presence control, I've never had it past 1:00.

My RM100S is one of the first ones made, btw.

Exactly! That's exactly how my amp is. Unless you have the presence most of the way up it sounds like the cab has a blanket over it. I play with a guy that uses a single rec and that's what made me notice how dark my amp was, his is crystal clear.

I have an older RM100M2 and use it with precense at 4 O'clock and the density at 1 O'clock but don't feel like it's a dark amp sound .

Maybe I like it that way .

Hakan :)

With my RM50, its just the opposite--I typically run the density maxxed and the presence at 9 o'clock, otherwise the sound is far too thin.

So i decided to turn up the presence knob to 3-4 o'clock...you know that blanket that seems to find its place over the speakers...well as soon as i hit my first note it was incinerated!! :twisted: The difference is like night and day...harmonics started to come alive, palm mutes are crisp and articulate, and everything else is full, heavy, and clear. It does seem odd that this effect is only realized at this extreme point on the dial but it need not do more imo.

These adjustments is something I really love about
these amps! I can tell more of a difference depending
on what module I use. But yes my presence doesnt
make a significant impact untill 2 to 3oclock. The
density I absolutely love. IMO these options remind
me of the YBA-1 Traynors with the bass expanders.
My clean modules I pretty much use them straight up
or rolled to about 2oclock. My gain modules Im all
over the place. :lol: Depends on what tone Im goin
for because different tones make me play different.
Good writing tool to me.

Thanks for all the responses you all. I guess I'm just being picky but it just seemed odd to me how with the presence doesn't bring out brightness until 2-3 oclock. I'm sure i'm about due for some new power tubes as well.

mtsweapon said:
Thanks for all the responses you all. I guess I'm just being picky but it just seemed odd to me how with the presence doesn't bring out brightness until 2-3 oclock. I'm sure i'm about due for some new power tubes as well.
Go with the Ruby 6550C's :wink:

mtsweapon said:
Ever tried those with e34l's? I've heard that's a winner too.
nope...i only have an RM80 which has only two power tubes. If i ever get a RM100 i will have to try that combo. I've only ever tried the 6550C's and 6V6's. The 6V6's are ok...but after trying the 6550C's i'm not going back :D They may be a bit more expensive but they are worth the money imo. These have lasted me a year now and hopefully they stay good for a while longer. I may try some other kinds of tubes later on but for now 6550's have an A++ in my book.