Distortion from a pedal...Is there anything wrong with that?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mattfig said:
Mister Joshua said:
If you want a Keeley then check this out:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=82&Itemid=26

If you spend the extra $7 for the mod kit you can actually get a DIY Keeley. I'm building one for a friend now and it sounds pretty spectacular.

Peace, Joshua

Same here....Awesome find....Thanks!
I've done DIy Keeley mods to an SD-1, sounds awesome.
Mixed a little bit of MXR ZW od in there later on, sounds even more awesome hehe, it has harmonics flying out left, right and center!

Use whatever you want. In the end only one thing counts.... how does it sound? If you like the sound when it is dirty amped and also has one or more overdrive/distortion pedals.... go for it! It mihgt be unconventional, but that is what makes music evolve. If Jimi He drix and Eddie van Halen didn't do the unconventional thing we'd be playing completley different.

P.S.: my main overdrive is a Tube Screamer 808, though on Ceriatone, not a Randall.

Nigel T. said:
Use whatever you want. In the end only one thing counts.... how does it sound? If you like the sound when it is dirty amped and also has one or more overdrive/distortion pedals.... go for it! It mihgt be unconventional, but that is what makes music evolve. If Jimi He drix and Eddie van Halen didn't do the unconventional thing we'd be playing completley different.

P.S.: my main overdrive is a Tube Screamer 808, though on Ceriatone, not a Randall.

Exactly.

Also, just recorded a clip that is a good example. If you want that nasty old school Swedish death metal grind...only one thing will give it to you...the Boss HM-2. Dirty, nasty but oh so glorious.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/29-110710mixa.mp3

Yeah, I know, acquired taste...

Randall RM20 with the ultra XL (slightly dirty) btw...

GuidanceOfSin said:
Nigel T. said:

Exactly.

Also, just recorded a clip that is a good example. If you want that nasty old school Swedish death metal grind...only one thing will give it to you...the Boss HM-2. Dirty, nasty but oh so glorious.

That's just brutal....I love that deep, dark, growl....Knull Ja!!!
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

GuidanceOfSin said:
Nigel T. said:

Exactly.

My god! :eek: :eek: :eek:

robespierre said:
GuidanceOfSin said:
Nigel T. said:

Exactly.

My god! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I said it was nasty. Twice. :lol:

GuidanceOfSin said:

I used to own that pedal and it is a beast. Have you checked out the Keeley Modded Boss MT-2. It has a more flexible EQ section and an extra switch for different modes. It kills though. MASSIVE GAIN. Check it out: http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=16

GuidanceOfSin said:

Sounds good. I can so hear all the old Death bands in it.

To the O.P. Using the blackface is a great pedal module. At it's best with muff types. I find that sometimes the more gainey modules get to compressed with certain OD or dist. pedals. My fav into the blackface are the pig mine and russian muffs and sometimes I prefer the pinnacle run through a clean amp (module). Best thing about guitar tone is it is whatever sounds good to you.

GuidanceOfSin said:
Exactly.

Mmm.... Settings on that? I've modded my Ultra XL so with scooped mids it has tremendous, beefy bass and a searing high end, but with boosted mids it evens out more and cuts like a knife.

Gain barely on, i take it, then the HM-2?

Dist pedals are so varied..its awesome. from a bad sound to a great one its all there.

Bit of a thread necro 'ey george? :lol:

Gotta say it's funny
any tube amp with diode clipping is frowned upon, but everybody's boosting the hell out of their tube amps with diode clipping boxes

Nightdare said:
Bit of a thread necro 'ey george? :lol:

Gotta say it's funny
any tube amp with diode clipping is frowned upon, but everybody's boosting the hell out of their tube amps with diode clipping boxes

We are a silly *** fickle bunch aren't we. :lol:

Nightdare said:
Gotta say it's funny

:lol: :lol:
I remember making the same comment when some people would rubbish my old JCM900. Crap it is, they would say. Diode clipping means that it's not a "TRUE" tube amp. The tone you want, is a JCM800 pushed by a TS/SD1/etc ;) :D

It was a **** good amp, my old 900. But I like my RM100 much better

VitaminG said:
Nightdare said:
Gotta say it's funny

:lol: :lol:
I remember making the same comment when some people would rubbish my old JCM900. Crap it is, they would say. Diode clipping means that it's not a "TRUE" tube amp. The tone you want, is a JCM800 pushed by a TS/SD1/etc ;) :D

It was a **** good amp, my old 900. But I like my RM100 much better

HAHA...So true...We are quite the fickle crew...Diode clipping and tube amps are a connnection that must come from two different sources...While they can't get along without one another (to many people's ears- including mine) you still can't marry your brother or sister... :D

Nightdare said:
Gotta say it's funny
I never understood this either. In the end only one thing counts.... How is the sound? WTF do I care whether that is pure tube, pure transistor or a combination? If the sound is great, who cares?

Yes,

one more poster to say "Yes blasting the front of end of tube amp >good. and Yes, if you like it >> good!"

When I was playing guitar and running from T- Rex and Triceratops, we only had crummy Boss pedals, making terrible sounds. Now 1000s are lovingly making OD pedals to suit every taste!

If you enjoy a good OD pedal, check out Wampler, Lovepedal, and Homebrew Electronics. Tasty!

Well, the JCM900 is kind of like the Patiot Act; a bad execution of a good idea! lol

I had the JCM800 split channel with the diode clipping, loaded a couple of Scumback speakers >>>>

Hmmm good!

Feels good!

Good for you!

Good for me!

:D :D

I gave up pedals in 1992 and didn't touch them for 15 years.

In 2007 I had two experiences that made me go back eventually. I was at John & Peters in New Hope, PA on a cold March night to see a friends band play. The opening act was a jam/funk band that had a killer guitarist. His distorted tones were AMAZING and his lead tones were so smooth and Eric Johnson-like it was unreal. I sneak up by the stage after their set and it's a OCD into a DD-3 and RV-5 feeding an old Fender Twin.

In October of the same year we got out current second guitarist in the band. He is our 4th in 11 years and his tone is probably the best of them all. His rig? All stock Boss:

SD-1 > OS-2 > MD-2 > RV-5 > DD-3 > CE-5 > Peavey Classic 100 Head

So slowly I opened myself back up to the charm of pedals. I no longer have any rack effects and love pedals for the flexibility they give me. I have everything from stock Boss to self modded pedals to Eventide's. They are all great for their own reasons. My self-modded SD-1 and Emma Reezafratzitz are as good as most channels on any amp for both feel and tone.