Do the RM50 and RM20 sound "better" than the RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6stringgrind

Reaction score
I've heard a few comments here on the board about the RM50 sounding better than the 100. I've also heard the 50 and 20 have different transformers, etc.

For those of you who own or have played the different RM amps, do you think the 20 and/or 50 sound better, tonally, than the 100? Obviously, the 100 is going to have more headroom, but I'm talking strictly tone-wise.

I have all three and i will tell that clarity wise i think the rm50 is better than the rm100 but the 100 has more balls. So i use em both

oathinc,

How does the RM20 sound compared to the RM50 and RM100?

I'm really curious about how these modules sound with lower-wattage power amps. I had another posting where I asked about that but I didn't get much response.

I currently gig with a Gibson Goldtone GA15RV (a 15-watt/6-watt non-master volume one channel amp) that I often run on the triode 6-watt setting. I turn it up to a point where its starts to breakup and then I hit it with a distortion pedal. I think it sounds full-bodied and somewhat smooth. And this is at a volume that is loud enough to keep up with a drummer. Note, that we try to keep our stage volume low and somewhat isolated from the audience so the soundman can control the front of house mix through the PA.

In contrast, I've been disappointed with the dirty channels on many 50 and 100-watt master volume amps because once I set the gain to a tone I liked, I would have to turn the master volume down because it was too loud. But when you turn it down, you lose all the body and end up just getting a weak fizzy preamp tone that doesn't really cut through the mix well when playing live.

I would think that the RM20 would "open up" at a lower volume than the RM50 and RM100. I wish Randall offered a low-wattage head that held more than one module. Since they don't, I'm planning on using an RM4 preamp with a lower wattage power amp like a Mesa 20/20.

[/quote]

Well i have a rm4 too and ill tell that probably the best one to use for the cause. The rm20 will keep up with a drummer and sounds pretty good. Just remember the head room is not going to be there compared to the 50 or 100. But the rm20 will open up at louder volume due to the watts

RM50 sounds a warmer than the RM100, which I find to be all wallop and a little sterile on top.

The RM20 sounds and feels completely different (even thru' the same cab/guitar etc.)

What size cabinet can or should be used with an RM20? I got an amazing deal on one with my Lynch Box deal but I only have a the Lynch 412 cabinet. Will the RM20 power that thing?

Jack Napalm said:
What size cabinet can or should be used with an RM20? I got an amazing deal on one with my Lynch Box deal but I only have a the Lynch 412 cabinet. Will the RM20 power that thing?
As long as you match impedance,It will and can :D

I've been using the RM50 with JJ 6V6s biased at 19-20 ma. This allows you to push the output tubes and get a very nice overdrive and still fit well in the mix. I have an RM4-RT2/50 set up which also works. ( It's like having 2 RM50s.) To get the output tube overdrive from the RM100 puts you at a louder level.