Does anyone know the thread size to module thumbscrews?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roszatycki

Reaction score
I need to replace a few thumbscrews. I know Randall will sell these to me for an insane cost. I think I may have found an alternate source but need to know the thread size of the screws. Metric, SAE, etc. Anyone happen to know this information?

:?:

I am in need of one myself. I might just take one to Lowes and use their thread board. It's by the bolt section and should do the trick.

kc,

Thanks for the part number on that. I was able to use a Fender tremolo bridge screw and it screwed right into the module. The thread on those are 4-40 also so I just started poking around and it looks like even mouser, digikey, etc. have them classified as captive screws.

Those work too. The part number from McMaster-Carr are for stainless steel
screws which are good for damp/humid locations. A rusty 4-40 screw is no joy.

roszatycki said:
kc,

I just bought 50 of them so if they work out and anyone needs a couple I am more than willing to share.

Sweet! I am in for at least one.

Awesome, thank you for the info guys. I've been looking for the screw sizes for awhile to replace a few broken ones. Ya'll ROCK :twisted:

Think I finay found some of the bigger older style replacement screws here:

http://www.smallparts.com/dp/B001OAHO0O/ref=sp_dp_g2c_asin

I'll gladly take some! :D

Let us know how well they fit! The length was the only thing I was worried about.

roszatycki said:
I paid for these and should have them in a few days. If anyone wants a few PM me and just pay the postage and I will give you the screws. I only needed a few so I could easily part with 30 of these. They are a bit shorter but in my opinion, it should make little to no difference.

Definitly, hook me up with 6 - 8 of em!
As long as the length is good.

I'll PM you as soon as we hear about that ;)

Hey guys, I tried these on a grail and some of the older modules with the silver faceplates. Depending on the module these 1/2" screws may be a little shy for some of you. If you can find a good source for the 5/8" screws I would stick with them so be 100% safe. Disciple posted a source for 5/8" and that may be your best bet. Don't want to mislead anyone into thinking the 1/2" screws are going to work on every module.

25hogv6.jpg

That is too bad they're the same size as the newer screws :(

If anyone knows where to get replacements for the older bigger screws please post it on the thread for members here.

I would probably need the longer screw. Anyone have a single they are willing to part with?

studio289 said:
Disciple said:
That is too bad they're the same size as the newer screws :(

If anyone knows where to get replacements for the older bigger screws please post it on the thread for members here.

I believe these are about what you're looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Knurled-Phillips-Diameter-Height/dp/B001OAHO36

They're 1/16" shorter, but the head is wider and taller like the old school screws.

Just ordered some!
Thanks a bunch!
Jace

I agree the SIZE of the older ones is really nice, but with the black faceplates, IMO, the black ones look nicer.

As far as getting them from Randall, have you tried calling them and asking them how much? I know their prices for the Chicken Head knobs are totally stupid. I bought 16 genuine "Daka Ware" brand chicken head knobs off eBay, just like the ones Randall uses for like two bucks a piece. If I recall, I think Randall was charging something like 10 or 12 bucks each.

On the other hand, there was one time a few years ago that I replaced my silver faces with black faces and got the black screws to replace the sliver ones, seems like they were either really cheap or they sent them for free with the faceplates when I ordered them. Roszatycki, I think it would at least be worth a call to customer service to at least find out what they cost.