Dr. Feelgood

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ive heard a few people mention a module called the Dr. feelgood. Who did this particular mod, is it still available and does it nail that classic Crue tone?
-mp-

It is a custom name for a custom Salvation Salvado DLX mod built on an egnater donor module. There's only one out there.

rhequiem said:
And it was, and always shall be, mine :wink:

Yep- This was originally Corey's order! I am sure you could still get Tony to make one- But you'd need an Egnater board to get true "feel"...It is the same as the Salvado Deluxe with a little different voicing in the mids on the crunch channel- This historic piece is now in the hands of Jacksauce!!!

Ok,
im trying to figure out why i am so intruiged by this mod...******...

question . what is the benefit of eggie boards? Dont modders usually strip and rebuild anyway?

Thanks and either way, I would love to compate it to my salvado dlx...

What amp was used to record that tune anyways.. its a distinct tone , i watched the video on salvationmods.com of the guy covering it with a mashall but its nowhere near the tone on the recording.
-mp-

rhequiem said:
You are the Gollum to my Sauron, and the Dr Feelgood is the One True Module :lol:

:lol: There's an inscription on the pcb, it says "One module to rule them all" Ok, not really but it's awesome!

Mattfig said:
Ok,

question . what is the benefit of eggie boards? Dont modders usually strip and rebuild anyway?

I would say the stock components are better Fig, but like you said the modders change nearly every component. The pcb itself being a higher quality potentially, but that's questionable and would it make much difference? I'd say it and your DLX could be twins aside from the slight difference in mid voicing Rblyn mentioned. I had no idea it was different actually :eek:

Honestly, Fig, I'm not real sure. Iirc, Egnater used different boards than Randall, and I seem to remember there being a discussion about how they were generally better quality than the Randall stuff. Also, this is an older mod, so I'm not sure that Anthony stripped all the components or not back then (he could obviously answer this better than I can). Out of all the modules I've owned, this one has a certain mojo to it that I just love, and it was always my #1 module when I had it. Drew also owned this module, in addition to its current caretaker, Jacksauce. Both have said it was either their number #1 after they got it, or very close to ;) Maybe it's just one of those things were the components used had some little variances that all added up to it having a certain "thing" that makes it special on top of it being quality work from Anthony.

I never had the chance to compare it to a stock Salvado DLX, so I would be interested to hear your findings on a comparison. Maybe Jacksauce can lend it to you for a bit so you can try just that ;)

What Rhequiem said :D The modules in my sig are the ones I actually use, I've got others that I really play much, but still enjoy.

I never had the chance to compare it to a stock Salvado DLX, so I would be interested to hear your findings on a comparison. Maybe Jacksauce can lend it to you for a bit so you can try just that ;)

how about NO!? :lol: Kidding, I trust the Fig ;)

Some mods just have a special feel to them I'm guessing :). I have an Angel B I got from Drewiv this year and espquade ABed it with his Angel B and Angel E and said mine had more gain, bite and overall a unique tone compared to other 2.

Luck of the draw I guess :)

Jacksauce said:
rhequiem said:
You are the Gollum to my Sauron, and the Dr Feelgood is the One True Module :lol:

:lol: There's an inscription on the pcb, it says "One module to rule them all" Ok, not really but it's awesome!

Mattfig said:
Ok,

I would say the stock components are better Fig, but like you said the modders change nearly every component. The pcb itself being a higher quality potentially, but that's questionable and would it make much difference? I'd say it and your DLX could be twins aside from the slight difference in mid voicing Rblyn mentioned. I had no idea it was different actually :eek:

I dont know if the boards are completely stripped or not- but I did have a Scorch built on a single Eggie board that had a slightly different feel than other mods- I dont know if it was the board or not- The components would make more difference in the tone I would think? Kind of boggles the mind to hear about the Angels being different too- Maybe its the base stock mod used? Not sure- but some of these modded ones just have a mojo- As far as the Dr Feelgood and its voicing differences- That was straight from Anthony- He responded to one of the older threads on Dr Feelgood here on the board and he stated that the only difference between Feelgood and a standard Salvado Dlx was the mids in the crunch channel..He also said there was only one out there....

Yeah, I think rhequiem's comment that it might be just enough of a slight variance to take it from awesome to spectacular...In the end, a cable, good set of strings, pickups, guitar, tubes, etc. can do the same thing...I have spent a great deal of time attempting to have only quality components in my signal path...

But modding is straight up voodoo to me...I can do basic solder jobs up to adding simple toggles but, in the end, I really don't know what's going on in there, hence my question...If there's more to it, I may consider having some of my fave mods rebuilt on an Eggie board to check out...

Oh and Mr. Sauce, you so crazy...There, of course, is an inscription on the Feelgood...I've heard the legend...Get a black light, red-hot fire, eye of newt (left eye, obviously), and a bowl of hot fat...Eat the R7 resistor and wash it down with some quality Absinthe...It will reveal itself to you only then - you must never repeat it and promise to spend a lifetime attempting to understand it...

You can recover the resistor later but that's another process...

It's best to have mods built during Winter solstice. The barametric pressures allow more tonal quality during burn-in

First off, we need to get out of this habit of trying to cop the EXACT tone of an amp as it was recorded for an album. Dr. Feelgood was recorded in a huge million dollar studio and i am pretty sure Mick Mars combined modded MArshalls with Soldano's at that point and used VHT poweramps already as well. A ton of ****. Then you factor in room mics, close mics, combination of mics.... then the cab and how it was tracked. (or cabs). Anyway the point is, you can get ballpark/very close but you won't get exact in most cases.

You need a module that cuts. Judge + a good amount of OD. Scary with a boost to tighten. Pretty much a winning formula. Try to get any Marshall mod with some gain but a tight lower end and some top end because that is what cuts. The Feelgood tone sounds thicker to me than Girls Girls Girls so anything like a slightly modded XTC (tighter bass response) or the scary etc..will get you there. Then don't be afraid to crank the treb a bit. The restis just weird clothing, platform shoes, and make up.

Kapo_Polenton said:
The restis just weird clothing, platform shoes, and make up.

**** no one ever told me this **** affects tone. I'm off to buy some flashy spandex pants & eyeliner now, so I can nail that late 80's tone. :lol:

You MUST use only aquanet and lots of it on your extensions, or Gene Simmons wig... That's the first step from what I've heard in 80's rock god seminars.

Dr. Feelgood is custom Salvado Deluxe built on Egnater single board as was said here.

Main difference between Eggie board and Randall board is that Eggie uses Relays for switching, Randall uses optocouplers.

Regarding main theme: Here you can hear how Salvation Mods Mash All+ (Jose mode) works for this kind of sound: http://youtu.be/h8CZkcf1HLU.
All guitars are Mash All+, 1st stage ON, 2nd stage OFF (aka Jose mode).