For any sound engineers/pros - recording screaming

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameer_rocks

Reaction score
just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with recording screaming and any effects that can enhance the sound

Actually, I'm an ameteur home recorder, but I've learned a lot about recording screaming vox through trial and error. I'll try to list most of the important lessons I've learned, so hopefully you can know what not to do :D .

1. Use a DYNAMIC mic. with high SPL's and high gain before feedback. If you're talking low budget, the SM58 is probably the cheapest one that'll do a decent job, but the Audix OM5 is superior in just about all regards, and it runs maybe $160 if I recall correctly?

2. Do not shove the mic. down your throat. If the vocals are too close to the mic., you get a massive bass response that sounds muddy, boomy, and makes the vocals sound like they were recorded with a pillow over your mouth. Sure, there are EQ's and what not that can be used post recording, but better to eliminate the problem at it's source. I'd say put the mic. up against your lips and talk into the mic. and move away until the bass noticably drops off.

3. Analog compression and limiting. Digital plugins are nice, but unless you're talking top-of-the-line, digital compressors and limiters just don't handle extreme anything, including vocals, so well: they tend to distort the sound and add a lot of hissing, and you're gonna need plenty of limiting and compression for anyone but the most professional of hardcore vocalists.

4. Limit and them compress. This seems to be the general consensus on hardcore vocals: use a moderately aggressive limiter to set the maximum level, and them use multiple compression stages, so each one catches the peaks the last one missed. And yeah, you'll need to be pretty agressive with the limiting and compression, but better to use multiple vst slots (or analog units for those of us who are rich) than to hit two really hard.

5. Use common sense for mic. handling: use a wind screen, watch the pops and mouth noises, and move the mic towards you during quieter parts, and away from you during louder parts. If you're doing this for a vocalist, you can just adjust the fader when you know a loud or quiet part is coming up.

6. EQ: unless you have a $4,000 mic., you're gonna need EQ, especially in a hardcore mix, just like you need EQ for a guitar in a hardcore mix. Slap a low filter on the vox at 100, 150, 200 if you so desire (just find what works), and start boosting in the 9,000 to 20,000+ range, as this gives all vocals life and allows them to cut through without sounding harsh and artificial.

For effects, reverb is really a necessity in any vocal track. Just listen to the vocals in the mix and turn up the vocal reverb until you can hear it in the main mix, and then turn it down a hair. Any plugin will work just fine, especially since we're talking sreaming 8) . Any other effects are not really used on vocals unless you want the vocals to sound weird, like in techno music.

Well, I hope this helped you. Good luck.

SM7 is a good dynamic mic. As far as fx, you could try sending some of the vocal to a distortion plug in to give it more grit, if that is what you are going for. depending on what you are doing, perhaps layering and panning will be a nice fx