forgive me

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bones

Reaction score
So as I've recently seen peavey announcing their new amp in the vypyr series, the vypyr 120, I will be selling my randell and exchanging it for a vypyr...i know the sound quality won't be quite as well, but I get effects and stompboxes, and it's cheaper new than my randall head was used...if I was a millionaire i'd build a rack and keep the randall...but I'm not so the vypyr wins, sorry guys and thanks for all of your help, you're all swell guys

bones said:
So as I've recently seen peavey announcing their new amp in the vypyr series, the vypyr 120, I will be selling my randell and exchanging it for a vypyr...i know the sound quality won't be quite as well, but I get effects and stompboxes, and it's cheaper new than my randall head was used...if I was a millionaire i'd build a rack and keep the randall...but I'm not so the vypyr wins, sorry guys and thanks for all of your help, you're all swell guys

Good luck! The Vypyr line has had nothing but issues, and you can guarantee the Vypyr 120 head will as well (same guts as the combos, etc)

I know this, as a Vypyr 75/Sanpara II owner and Vypyr software beta tester.

I don't get it, you say the vyper won't sound as good, financially it's a near lateral move???

Oh well, have fun exploring!

Don't do it .the peavey support is horrible .and I have honestly NEVER seen a worse released bug infested product .makes LINE6 look well engineered .

If you want effects .by a rocktron Intellifex ,Replifex ,or expression used ..you will thank me later

What he said - an Intellifex/Intelliverb/etc for $150 with your Randall head and you'll have all the effects you'd ever need. If you really think you'll be happy with a modeller over an all tube monster like a Randall MTS amp go for it, but I can almost guarantee after a time you'll kick yourself.

Hey, everybody makes mistakes!
I made my share growing up.
Let this guy screw himself, it's probably the only way he's gonna learn.
I use to own an Epiphone Les Paul.
Now, you'd be hard pressed to get me to sell my Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Over my dead body!

ha ha why are you guys taking it so personally? I didn't say the mts line sucks, for less money I can have an amp with effects, more amp models, and more power...slightly less sound quality and reliability, but it's brand new so it has a warranty, and i can always return it if it's not the route I want to go. exploring my options.

But seriously..why does everyone get so offended, I just want to see what your opinions are, I'm not trying to get bashed.

I say go for it! I went round and round with many amps before coming back to the MTS for the 5th time! I had a Line 6 (Bogner) tube amp with all the bells and whistles(pretty much same as the Vyper) SO I support the choice. You always know what the MTS offers and I am sure you can always pick one up later if the Vyper dont work out for you.
Scratch the itch and buy the Vyper!!
But remember.........."THEY ALL COME BACK"! 8)

ha ha yeah, well im not going to sell the randall until im sure i'm sticking with the vypyr, i checked out the line 6 too.

jam at home, play at peoples houses on occasion, have jams at my house

I liked the Vyper. It is what it is. Tons of tones and just fun to Jam on! :D
I was going to get one for a bedroom amp but choose the Spyder Jam instead for the built in BAND. Fun stuff! :wink:

Now don't get me wrong!
I'm not trashing you for wanting to switch amps.
I've done the same thing. (I usually traded up, but not always)
I made a few mistakes in my life, too.
I learned to do research on things before I buy now.
I decided to go to Harmony Central and read reviews about the Vyper line.
Here is the first review I read on the Vyper 75:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features : 6
The Vypyr has a nice solid set of features and range of tones, however the lack of an effects loop and external speaker out knocks it down a few notches (I would have paid more for the inclusion of these). The USB is riddled with noise and latency. The power sponge has very little to no effect making it a totaly useless feature. My main wishes would be for an effects loop and some control over the noise gate. I also wish that the volume control was more gradual because the sound jumps from very quiet to very loud with nothing in between. In theory, this is where the Power Sponge would come in handy, but it doesn't work.

Sound Quality : 8
You can get a good range of tones out of the Vypyr from clean to fairly heavy distortion, however there is some excess noise and feedback. I play a wide range of music, but I primarily wanted this amp for metal and when it worked it did a good enough job for a $300 amp. At louder volumes the high gain sound can get thin and harsh. On some channels the factory set noise gate is over agressive cutting some notes short.

Reliability : 1
I exchanged it four times and all of them had the same problems that many others have complained about. There are severe boot up problems (sometimes it would power up other times it would take 10 or 15 tries), the guitar cable needed to be unplugged everytime you turned it on or it would never power up, wierd noises such as static or loud piercing noises would come out of it, at loud volumes the cabinet rattles, like I said previously the USB and Power Sponge are both useless because they don't work. As others have mentioned the control panel and knobs/buttons are cheap and plastic.

Customer Support : 1
DO NOT BELEIVE it when Peavey says that all known problems have been resolved on the Vypyr line. The problems are not all fixed. They expect you to buy it and immediately send it in for repair and wait a month or longer to get it back. There are widespread issues with bad capacitors in addition to numerous other hardware and software issues that are not solved despite what they say. Try one an find out for yourself if you don't believe it. I emailed them when I started having problems with the first one I bought before I returned. It took over a month to get a response and all they told me was to go buy a MIDI to USB (around $30-35) which I have no other use for and upgrade the amps firmware.

Overall Rating : 2
This amp looks great on paper and also sounds fairly good when it works correctly (which isn't too often) but the shoddy build quality and lack of quality control on these amps is rediculous. If it worked and was reliable, then it would be a good deal at the price point. Since it didn't work half the time and it's built very cheaply, my advice would be to either wait a while until your positive that they've ironed out ALL of the issues or buy something else unless you want to risk having a $300 paper weight.

-------------------------------------------------------------

$300?

That kinda says it all...huh?

Got a little Vypyr for test a few days and i think that it is the worst gear that Peavey ever released.(the first time i test a gear where even the tuner doesn't work correctly :roll: )

I was actually unable to get a clean, dry sound from the Vypyr when I tried one out =/ Too many knobs and flashy lights. Also: Feedback hell XD

I'm with the others saying: You'll be back ;)

i used a vypyr 120 combo, I figured it out pretty quick and i could get all the tones and everything I wanted, clean, you have to push the knob into switch from clean to dirty on the amp models. But anyways, like I said I'll try the vypyr out for awhile before I sell the randall.