GRAIL METAL TONE WITH AND WITHOUT BOOST

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually already once sold all my modules but the Lynch ones. Then I ended up buying more modules recently again and have an RM1250 being delivered tomorrow. I probably should have just got a Mesa Recto Poweramp to use with my RM4 but the RM1250 i got for $800 shipped with a brand new Ultra Its one of the Randall prototypes I think because it has a master volume and the new ones dont seem to. I think the new Rm1250s are more for recording. The one I got is basically a 50 watt RM100 with 6l6's but with 12 channels. So now i have an Rm4 and RM100 and Tomorrow a 1250. See what happens when you try and get away from Randall. Anyways, the modules I end up using the most are the Grail, UltraXL, and the SuperV is my Stevie Ray Vaughan module. I used the Mr. Scary for a long time then just kept going over to the Grail because it is really tight. I got the Scott Ian 1987 a couple weeks ago and am going to do some real recording with it this week now that I have time. It's a really great sounding Marshall type module. I had a couple custom modules before and just didn't think they sounded $300 better than any of my stock mods and a screamer. I remember you used to have a ton of great modules didn't you? Weren't you one of the first guys with salvation mods? I stupidly didn't buy the Mamba that sat on the bored for 2-3weeks then it sold right when I finally was going to get it. I'm stupid for not getting that right away because it's the one salvation mod I wanted to try. None of these modules will ever be like the real amps as long as they are run through the power amp section of the Randall. That's kinda why I thought about getting the Mesa recto power amp. Then I could get more of my triple recto tone and presence out of my Randall mods. Sorry for the long post I'm half asleep and getting pumped for the RM 1250 to arrive so I better go to bed.

@rade01:
I need a cleanish tone :wink:
a perfect metalcore rhythm massacre
and a nice singing lead tone

@schlagdog:
WOW ! :shock:
I don't want to end up like this -hahaha-
Yes, Anthony did the first deadplate for me and I guess I got one of the first 1666, too. :D

Yeah, depending on your tastes, Super or Brahma will both do a great job for lower to mid gain, they both clean up nicely and sound nice and warm.

So you've been around the block, tried the modded modules, and now you're after stockies? or should we be recommending modded modules too?
Ultra XL is one I haven't tried, but I have a Gigmods Ultra.

I can't speak for all modded modules, as I only have a few. But my Gigmods Mark Series is probably my favourite for metal and everything heavy when I need a tight tone. Gigmods Recto is very cool too, has a bigger bottom end.

My Gigmods Ultra has a very saturated singing lead tone. Tonnes of gain and plenty of mids. Not quite as tight feeling as the Mark which is why I like it more for lead. Still tight, just not as tight.

My Gigmods Plexi cleans up great and also has heaps of gain, but it's the cleanest modded module I've got, probably can't go past a stock (or lightly modded) Super V or Brahma for cleanish. I have a KH1 and it sounds great clean, but doesn't really crunch, or atleast not the way I like. I always seem to like clean on the verge of crunch more so.

schlagdog: 1250? Awesome, you're going to have a blast!
But I'm surprised to hear the modded module dislike...I've had mods from most of the pros and clearly hear a huge positive difference in each one. That being said, stock Grail is a killer piece with a boost, so I get that

headown: welcome back! Mamba SE is the beast module. Salvado or S1S0 for many other tones, Gigmods (Blackface, JTM, or tweed depending on guitar and vibe) for my clean and dirt. Oh, I love my JF MarkX, it has a bit of the Mamba vibe but with more pure tone articululation (sacrificing some brutality)

thanks a lot crankyrayhanky, it feels good to spend here some time again ;-)
btw I have never sold my Randall shirt -haha-
I really would like to play the Mamba SE + Angel B side by side...
I guess you're right, it's better to start "modded" again...
but the grail....never played it... :roll:

I still don't think any of the modded modules I ever have had sounded $300 better than the stock ones. Usually were just tighter and had more gain which I do with the tubesreamer anyhow. I spent $425 on an unnamed module and basically got my UltraXL to sound exactly like it. I think if you don't have any stock modules and get some modded ones you think they are the greatest. If you have some stock modules to compared them to you might realize there isn't alot of difference you can't so yourself for $10 worth of caps.

sure you're right schlagdog, not really 300$ better...
there are really good stock modules like the Mr Scary, KH3 or UXL but Anthonys or Robs work is like another step, or two, if you cant't do that work on your own...
and I don't like to many pedals in front of me, only my tuner and my wah.

I don't want to name specific modules but they weren't just some cap changes. I have the L6 M13 just so I have everything on hand. Really I would just need tuner, screamer, noise suppressor, and a wah. The only amp I have ever played that didnt really need a screamer are peaveys. I still used one anyway when I had my 6505+ though. I kinda wish I didn't trade it for my Mesa Triple now. Who knows...in the next 5 months I could sell all my modules again and start the amp quest again. Just like I do about every year. This time the only things I have left are $2000-$4000 amps which I really really dont want to start.