GSP1101 & 4CM??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamner1

Reaction score
Just scored a GSP1101 & wondering how you guys have this setup with your GSP1101. Is it possible to record direct as well as capture a mic'd cab? I would be running this with my RM4, using my mods for all my gain needs/tones & the amp sims for my cleans.

I'm doing 3CM, with no output to a power amp as you noticed in my other thread. I'm bypassing the amp sims and using impulses with either the headphone out or reaper into my PC for audio.

I want to say you can do direct and power amp outputs, but I'm not sure. Maybe mojo knows.

You should also snag the C63 firmware from mustbebeta.com for more amp sims and loadable impulses.

totally possible, used to have a GSP1101 running with a Marshall JMP-1,
I was able to assign the regular output jacks for no cab sims to my Power Amp, and then the XLR outputs with cab sim to my MOTU. worked amazing, espcially once they released the "unofficial" update to allow IR's. i do a similar thing now with my rig.

Very cool. C63 upgrade is definitely in the plans when she arrives. I'm getting excited to try some of the OD/Boost sims with the Brahma. Since the GTO is out for moding I have been using it for my Plexi type tone. I forgot how good it is for that.

Quick question on C63 upgrade & others as well. Do you download this straight to the GSP or on to your PC or Flash drive then from there connect/install to the GSP?

Hope this will help:

http://mustbebeta.com/gsp1101/gsp1101%20release%20notes%20version%20c63.pdf

Firmware vC63, Xedit for firmware vC63, Cab Updater can be downloaded here:
http://mustbebeta.com/gsp1101/gsp1101vc63.html

On this page you will find a link to download GIRL, that is another program you can use to load Impulse Response:
http://mustbebeta.com/generalforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=674

Okay on updating:
You download the update exe here, connect the GSP1101 via usb and update it.
If you already made patches and want to keep them, backup your patches with X-Edit FIRST!

You also need the newer version of X-Edit with the new firmware, download here. You can also restore your old patches with this.

To upload IRs to the GSP use this utility.

There is a tool in the mustbebeta forums for uploading multiple IRs at once, called G.I.R.L. (GSP IR Loader?). If you're still experimenting with IRs that can save a lot of time

On 4CM:
I use the 4CM, guitar > GSP, RM4 in the loop and GSP output to poweramp.
Technically you could also use the RM4's series loop as a return point (so you'll have the tube buffered output after the GSP), but then you have more cables, I don't think it's any different.

Things to look out for:
The GSP can handle a lot, but if you're having weird clipping your RM4 might be outputting too much volume.
I've had it keep clean on 11 o'clock for both modules and master volume, I think more than that will start clipping the return.

Depending on your poweramp/other effects config: if you're getting a low buzz, switch the ground lift on the back of the RM4.

I'll try and think of some tips and tricks ..

On recording:

Yes you can record mic-ed (via your normal interface) and a cab sim from the GSP1101. One problem I've encountered there is phasing issues with the USB output of the GSP1101. It has an irregular delay, so you can't correct it by delaying the audio a few ms like normal phasing mismatch.. I think it's to do with the usb encoding.
So the best thing then would be to stick a stereo jack in the GSP1101's output (for balanced signal) and patch it to your recording interface.

That makes for pretty quick recording setups. Recording just from the GSP1101's usb is fine too, it's the combination with mic-signal that creates issues.

Edit:
You can also run an IR plugin in your DAW of course. But with a lot of tracks that could cause a lot of CPU-pull. (a trick would be to render the tracks after some takes). For some reason to me IRs sound better in the GSP1101 than in Reaper (my DAW of choice). I don't have a clue why ..

Awesome info & help guys. According to UPS it should be here Monday or Tuesday.

Anybody have any patches they would care to share?

I also use a GSP/RM4 combo. I use Wizard set up #6/4CM. I run the guitar into the GSP and then the RM4 into the effects loop of the GSP and then stereo out into a Carvin 50w tube pwr amp then into a pr. of Weber California 12s. It is just a stunning sound.
I use C63, but have a little clipping when using the compressor models that did not seem to be there with earlier versions.

mOjo,

I have a question for you: When I run my amp like this, soundmen try and take a line out of the XLRs and the signal is too hot. you mentioned kind of assigning the XLRs or 1/4 inch outs or something like that. Any hints on how to avoid the hot signal? Is there a way to send cab sims to the direct out and keep my speakers for my sound?

ricky

Hamner1 said:
Anybody have any patches they would care to share?

You can find patches to download at: http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guitar_list_patches.asp?productid=235

While we're on the subject of the GSP 1101 and the RM4 - can I ask a question?

I've downsizing my rig and moving from a voodoo labs ground control to the digitech foot controller for the GSP 1101. I'm currently working on the assumption that the GSP can do the switching on the RM4 (CC #56-59?).

So my questions are:

Is anyone else doing this using the GSP?
Is it easy, as I?m something of a midi luddite and on the GC it?s easy :)

Thanks Guys!

webrthomson said:
While we're on the subject of the GSP 1101 and the RM4 - can I ask a question?

I've downsizing my rig and moving from a voodoo labs ground control to the digitech foot controller for the GSP 1101. I'm currently working on the assumption that the GSP can do the switching on the RM4 (CC #56-59?).

So my questions are:

Is anyone else doing this using the GSP?
Is it easy, as I?m something of a midi luddite and on the GC it?s easy :)

Thanks Guys!
Sorry, can't help you, I'm using the Voodoo Lab GCP.

Hey Stormrider, I am also a midi luddite, but I do have the C2 pedal switching my RM4 channels. What you do is start with the first footswitch and find the Randall pre that you like. Hold the switching button in on the RM4 for about 3 seconds. Then go to footswitch #2, get the pre you want and do the same. Do this for all four pres. So now for every bank on the gsp 1101 I use, each switch is assigned to an RM4 preamp. It is way cool to watch the different colored LEDs light up when I stomp on the switch!
Hope this helps.
ricky

ricky said:
I also use a GSP/RM4 combo. I use Wizard set up #6/4CM. I run the guitar into the GSP and then the RM4 into the effects loop of the GSP and then stereo out into a Carvin 50w tube pwr amp then into a pr. of Weber California 12s. It is just a stunning sound.
I use C63, but have a little clipping when using the compressor models that did not seem to be there with earlier versions.

mOjo,

I have a question for you: When I run my amp like this, soundmen try and take a line out of the XLRs and the signal is too hot. you mentioned kind of assigning the XLRs or 1/4 inch outs or something like that. Any hints on how to avoid the hot signal? Is there a way to send cab sims to the direct out and keep my speakers for my sound?

ricky
Eh, I don't often run it like that but I think there's a volume setting specifically for the XLR outs somewhere.

Edit:
Checked and there is an XLR level2 setting under I/O, but I'm running C63 firmware.. it's an added feature it seems,

Gotta hate the product support with some companies.. Digitech could've easily took C63, tested it some more (after the community tested almost all of it already) and released it as official V3.

Let me know if that works for you. If not, I can maybe walk you through it. It isn't every day that I can actually be of help on this forum!

ricky said:
It is way cool to watch the different colored LEDs light up when I stomp on the switch!

I have in the rack:
Digitech GSP1101
Lexicon MX200
RM4
RT2/50

And many mixed patches ... it's like a **** slotmachine when I switch patches haha. The band have started calling it "the mothership" :lol:

ricky said:
Hey Stormrider, I am also a midi luddite, but I do have the C2 pedal switching my RM4 channels. What you do is start with the first footswitch and find the Randall pre that you like. Hold the switching button in on the RM4 for about 3 seconds. Then go to footswitch #2, get the pre you want and do the same. Do this for all four pres. So now for every bank on the gsp 1101 I use, each switch is assigned to an RM4 preamp. It is way cool to watch the different colored LEDs light up when I stomp on the switch!
Hope this helps.
ricky

Cool tip ricky :wink: